Sign in to follow this  
Konrad2012

M$ speed bumps

Went to the grocery store to buy some VGCS got grilled by a Grocery store Bot how was i paying What was i buying them for. -_-

I tell them that I use the CC to buy VGC, and then I use the VGC's to pay my rent and bills, because that way I get CC rewards points for paying my bills (I leave out the closed loop CC-VGC-MO-CC part :) ). It's always satisfied the occasional suspicious cashier.

That's exactly what I say, (It's RS*).

The only exception is my local Simon mall as they know exactly where the GC's are going.

The only question they ask is how many cards today, (no silly questions about the load amount). :D

They dont ask you how much you want the 20th card for?

Went to the grocery store to buy some VGCS got grilled by a Grocery store Bot how was i paying What was i buying them for. -_-

I just say that I'm buying them to shop at Costco since they no longer accept Amex and I use my Amex to pay. I've only had them ask because they recognize me and they're curious.

I proactively tell the checkout person at Vons to mind his/her own business, otherwise they look at me funny when I check out with only Pop Rocks and a douche.

I tell them that I use the CC to buy VGC, and then I use the VGC's to pay my rent and bills, because that way I get CC rewards points for paying my bills (I leave out the closed loop CC-VGC-MO-CC part :) ). It's always satisfied the occasional suspicious cashier.

The only exception is my local Simon mall as they know exactly where the GC's are going.

The only question they ask is how many cards today, (no silly questions about the load amount). :D

Noh lol.

Noh lol.
so how much do you get the 20th card for?

I proactively tell the checkout person at Vons to mind his/her own business, otherwise they look at me funny when I check out with only Pop Rocks and a douche.

:lol:

NO.

They're completely clued in.

They just load it with $421.00, (and courteously write that amount on the card with a sharpie). :clapping:

Edited by Chris58

Pop Rocks! Lol...they still sell that stuff?

They do.

I borrowed that combo of items from real life. I was behind a woman at Rite Aid on Robinson Avenue in Hillcrest (San Diego) a few years ago, and those were the two items she was buying.

I was behind a woman at Walgreens in New Orleans last year, and she was buying a bottle of sparkling wine and a multi-pack of different colored Sharpies.

Sometimes it's hard to figure out which is the impulse item.

They do.

I borrowed that combo of items from real life. I was behind a woman at Rite Aid on Robinson Avenue in Hillcrest (San Diego) a few years ago, and those were the two items she was buying.

I was behind a woman at Walgreens in New Orleans last year, and she was buying a bottle of sparkling wine and a multi-pack of different colored Sharpies.

lmao....too funny bc I sometimes have weird combinations myself!

Some are allowing the full 10k now.

They do.

When I used to hit CVS repeatedly, I'd start noticing things. One was seeing these attractive 30 something ladies all buying laxative-type products. It got to where you could tell what they were buying without looking at the products by their avoidance of eye contact.

That's good. I always hated the odd ball Simon/Rite Aid/Kroger cards.

NO.

They're completely clued in.

They just load it with $421.00, (and courteously write that amount on the card with a sharpie). :clapping:

Getting the new CSRs trained to set aside and mark the offending random card is always fun. Simon makes it pretty easy on us though.

I know people that do $400, $420 and $421.

Edited by Konrad2012

I check out with only Pop Rocks and a douche.

Hey you gotta have a drink to go with the pop rocks!

Not in this case :grin:

10k at a grocery store???

10k at a grocery store???

Simon.

Just out of curiosity has anybody here been playing this game successfully, (from an acquisition point of view), at USPS with INK Preferred?

The only data point I've found is a few years old on FT, (USPS Doesn't allow purchase of GC with CC until their card readers are chip compliant)?

So Today, I had another VGC not work for me when I tried to drain it at walmart.........unlike the last time it was the only gift card that didn't work so it wasn't the system not allowing the card to through....so I thought that the card may not have activated properly as has been the case on 99% of the time when this has type of thing happened before but the card had its full $500 load ready and waiting to be drained. So perhaps it might be the strip on the VGC that caused it to be rejected by walmart........So just wanted to know if you guys if this ever happens to you do you ask the CSM to run it from their side or get them to plug in the card number?

So Today, I had another VGC not work for me when I tried to drain it at walmart.........unlike the last time it was the only gift card that didn't work so it wasn't the system not allowing the card to through....so I thought that the card may not have activated properly as has been the case on 99% of the time when this has type of thing happened before but the card had its full $500 load ready and waiting to be drained. So perhaps it might be the strip on the VGC that caused it to be rejected by walmart........So just wanted to know if you guys if this ever happens to you do you ask the CSM to run it from their side or get them to plug in the card number?

A couple things can cause an unsuccessful swipe at WM -

• a few months back, they added an advertising screen that pops up several seconds after the original "swipe now" screen. If you swipe before this second screen opens, it sometimes takes a couple swipes before it registers
  • if you're doing multiple swipes in one transaction, and the cashier isn't paying attention, the current swipe will time out if they fail to do their part after you've swiped. I had this happen the other day, and I was surprised at what a short time window the cashier had to respond before it timed out. I've never had this cashier-timeout issue before, so WM might have recently made the time shorter.

A DP for those who buy Vanilla Mgc';s @ Sam's Club.

After Vanilla's wouldn't load at Sam's a month or so ago, (the load amount prompt didn't come up on the POS screen), the cards have been loading again for the last few weeks.

I recall reading on FT that Sam's would be rolling out a new $20-$250 variable load Vanilla as a replacement for the $20-$500's.

I can confirm this has happened as of yesterday.

I took 3 of the "Blue Bow" variables off the rack before heading to the cigarette counter where I usually check out, (I didn't really look at the numbers on the top right of the cards).

The cashier who recognized me asked "$500 on each"? When the first card failed to accept a $500 load we both noticed the package printing of $20-$250, (zero change in graphics).

Pausing the transaction I went back and found that whoever re-stocked the display didn't rotate the stock, (so I found 3 $500's behind the new $250's), which loaded fine.

My read is that when existing stock of $20-$500 cards are gone, Sam's is dead as a acquisition source unless it's on a limited 5X card. :blush2:

Someone on FT mentioned that a Simon employee told them 250s were going to supplant the 500s there too.

Someone on FT mentioned that a Simon employee told them 250s were going to supplant the 500s there too.

Yep. this game is getting harder. I used to have 3 grocery chains in my area that sold 500s. Two of them have gone to the lower cards, and the only remaining one will only sell me 2 cards per day.

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

1. nitenrz
      nitenrz
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ecomfoundry
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines