Dang it - I regret closing my serve account so quickly after reading this. Does any Visa gift card work? Since the Vanilla Visa Gift Card doesn't work, which ones DO work?

AFAIK all non Vanilla GC's do work.
Giftcardmall cards stopped working for me last month.

My other sources still work fine.

Would you happen to know the issuer of GCM GC's?
Metabank.

Purchased in Kroger.

OK thought you meant from GCM online. I have no problem with those but I do recall some chatter about an update at WM for some terminals.
Just loaded some from GCM last night at WM.

My local grocery, staples, and GCM all seem to be issued by MetaBank.

Just cleaned out the last of the pile, and on the hunt for new ones. It's a new month!

It must vary by location.

I'm thinking so.

Not sure if it relates but the money center ATM also has a MetaBank logo on it.

I have a pile of $200 VGC's from Staples that are MetaBank I'll be trying this evening.

• Replies 4.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You need to STOP asking stores questions and read this thread first.  

I've had no problems at a local grocery store (national chain) running both store-type gift cards as well as the V/MC/AXP gift cards and paying with American Express.  Granted, i was not doing it for

Vanilla. They work with serve at Family Dollar but not at Walmart.  I'll add that it is hit or miss on variable loads. My closest Walgreens only carries $200 VGC's. Another town away they have $50

If Target/Amex offers this RedCard with their specified limits, I believe $2500/day and $5000/month, how is it suspicious if someone uses a credit card

to load within their parameters?

So is the act of buying gift cards (within their parameters) but apparently they monitor people with high volume of those, so I was just trying to establish possible data points for the same monitoring when it comes to Redbird. You have to understand that there's a lot of fraud that happens at these big box stores (Walmart, Target, etc) and that some of those activities seem similar to people who do M$ from afar (thousands of dollars in transactions, etc) so I wouldn't be surprised if Target keeps on eye on us too.

Having said that, M$ ir perfectly legal so we don't have anything to worry, besides privacy issues...I'd be curious how long Target keeps such video footage, for instance, but we will probably never know.

Credit cards aren't "real" money, so transferring debt-to-cash is suspicious.

I don't know why it would be allowed to begin with.

By that reasoning, a business should not be allowed to us a line of credit, or even a check, to purchase inventory which it then sells, because it would be "transferring debt-to-cash".

Are you disagreeing with what I said, or just being difficult?

That line of reasoning also applies to gift cards and other loadable debit cards. Not business, auto, or personal loans.

The term "manufactured spending" is enough to tell you why it might be considered "suspicious".

You stated that you do not understand why it is permissible to leverage debt for profit. I pointed out that this is standard business practice. Was that "being difficult"?

Your follow-up is mixing the concepts of asset, secured debt, and unsecured debt.

• Gift cards and Debit cards are not a debt of any sort - they are an asset to the card holder. The issuing entity is paid in advance for the service of providing future access to the (pre-paid) funds. (actually, they're a debt on the part of the issuer)
  • Auto loans are secured debt - the lender has recourse to seize the securing asset if the borrow fails to pay
  • Checks, checking lines of credit, and most business lines of credit are all forms of unsecured debt -- just like credit cards -- and it is common to leverage them for the purpose of generating profit

"The term "manufactured spending" is enough to tell you why it might be considered "suspicious"." is a logical fallacy.

If you want to nitpick, have at it.

You know the point I was trying to make, which is why I insinuated you just wanted to be difficult.

If there was absolutely no issue with msing, there would be no risk.

Edited by CreditNewb15

Ok, so here is my thought.

Go and get setup with a redbird card for be loaded.

Then I can go to my local grocery store and get a $500 vgc that will cost a few bucks but will also get me $1.00 off on fuel max of 30 gallons ($30) - $4.95 for the vgc = $25.05/$250.50 per month in free fuel.

Load that into the redbird card and then pay cc that the $500 was charged to.

Just rinse and repeat.

This will also get 500+ ff miles since its a usairways card. And doing this before the end of the 50% more miles promo will get even more miles

I wish you could use target gc's to reload as they just added them to my local grocery store and were offering double fuel perks... So that would be $2.00 per $500 :)

I gotta look into this more to see how else it might be able to be done at my local grocery store.

Ok, so here is my thought.

Go and get setup with a redbird card for be loaded.

Then I can go to my local grocery store and get a $500 vgc that will cost a few bucks but will also get me $1.00 off on fuel max of 30 gallons ($30) - $4.95 for the vgc = $25.05/$250.50 per month in free fuel.

Load that into the redbird card and then pay cc that the $500 was charged to.

Just rinse and repeat.

This will also get 500+ ff miles since its a usairways card. And doing this before the end of the 50% more miles promo will get even more miles

I wish you could use target gc's to reload as they just added them to my local grocery store and were offering double fuel perks... So that would be $2.00 per $500 :)

I gotta look into this more to see how else it might be able to be done at my local grocery store.

Welcome to the world of ms

Creativity is a must!

Upromise has am ongoing deal with a local store for 10% cash back. ...the GCs are exactly what I teens to load onto redbird

If you want to nitpick, have at it.

You know the point I was trying to make, which is why I insinuated you just wanted to be difficult.

If there was absolutely no issue with msing, there would be no risk.

No, I really don't understand the point you're trying to make. You keep making A=B inferences that completely elude me - like "If there was absolutely no issue with msing, there would be no risk". The stock market is absolutely risky - does that mean there's an "issue" with stocks?

CC companies offer rewards to incent card use - card use generates swipe fees - swipe fees are item-agnostic, the CC company gets the same fee whether it's gift cards or gefilte fish. The CC companies would probably like it if we were also carrying balances and paying late fees - but for most informed credit users, that's not going to happen whether they're ms'ing or not.

OK, my cardinal came home to the nest. We flew to the store where I loaded;

1=500 vgc, 1=1K cc, and another 1=1K cc. I went to the register this time

because CS was backed up and no customers at any of the five registers. I

picked the eldest adult at the register and asked if I could load "this". Sure,

she says, if I can remember how. She got it right the first time. Of course

four customers show up with none of them going to an open register. I

explained that I would be happy to wait for everyone else. She said let's

continue, it won't take long. In and out in 8 minutes (I walked around the store

looking for something to buy for the 5%). Maybe next time.

so much angst in this thread....kind of a pubescent volatility...I'm 16 and I'm angry at my father syndrome...

Yes it's a weird thing.

You try to have an open conversation, and people who have no skin in the game want to get involved in said conversation. Like, "Wow, this thread has a lot going on, I want to be involved and say something even if it's not useful or pertinent".

Then again if we said we were going to go private about it, we'd be elitists.

Wow! There's a lot going on in this thread! Did you guys know that whales are actually mammals?

The hell you say! If they swim in the water, they're a fish- and if they smell like fish, ms is obviously fishy! :aggressive:

:grin:

Edited by JeffeVerde

so much angst in this thread....kind of a pubescent volatility...I'm 16 and I'm angry at my father syndrome...

Yes it's a weird thing.

You try to have an open conversation, and people who have no skin in the game want to get involved in said conversation. Like, "Wow, this thread has a lot going on, I want to be involved and say something even if it's not useful or pertinent".

Then again if we said we were going to go private about it, we'd be elitists.

I am very happy this thread exists. Initially, my interest in Redbird type cards was to find a way to pay mortgage and other bills that don't take CCs and get miles/points/cash back/Chucky Cheese Tokens/etc.

I see that it can be so much bigger than that.

Thanks to all that are contributing useful information. It is a great learning thread.

Thanks guys, just met my Venture spend :D

:good: 460 "miles"
Dollars

Book a refundable trip use the miles then cancel

Enjoy your $400 bonus

Taking my daughter to Disneyland this summer with some other families from work.:D

Or this

Dollars

Enjoy your $400 bonus

Taking my daughter to Disneyland this summer with some other families from work.:D

Or this

Totally...as long as you get full value who cares. I'm sitting on 1100 "miles" now trying to decide what to do.

Dollars

Enjoy your $400 bonus

Or this

Totally...as long as you get full value who cares. I'm sitting on 1100 "miles" now trying to decide what to do.

But for cans of soda

Dollars

Enjoy your $400 bonus

Or this

But for cans of soda

I totally blew my post......thinking cash. It's 110k "miles".....oops

Dollars

Enjoy your $400 bonus

Or this

But for cans of soda

I totally blew my post......thinking cash. It's 110k "miles".....oops

Do what I said. .book a refundable room through Expedia and cancel the trip after you redeem points

Is there a website that explains how to use the WalMart ATM machine to buy money orders using Visa GG. My serve upload will end April 15, and would like to try getting out of my comfort zone and try Walmart but not in the store. I break out in Cold Sweats just pulling into the parking lot.

Is there a website that explains how to use the WalMart ATM machine to buy money orders using Visa GG. My serve upload will end April 15, and would like to try getting out of my comfort zone and try Walmart but not in the store. I break out in Cold Sweats just pulling into the parking lot.

The smell ìl in the parking lot of wal marts does the same thing to me

In addition to the $1K CC load, I assume that you've also been loading $5K in VGCs via the Walmart MC ATM.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    elev8Life

Important Information

Guidelines