M$ speed bumps

Konrad2012

I went to Burger King to purchase a $10 GC to use my Amex offer. CV had told me about the superior quality food that the BK chain serves and I wanted to try it for myself. I told the cashier that I would like to purchase one $10 GC. She said "OK" and just stood there looking at me. After a couple seconds I asked her if she was going to go get the card (That was kinda weird). She looked for the cards and could not find them. Next, she called over the manager and I told him I was trying to buy one $10 GC. He went and grabbed a GC and then he noticed that I was pulling a CC out of my wallet. He stopped and asked if my card had a chip in it. I showed him the chip and he said he was sorry and that he was unable to sell me a $10 GC. I WAS IN SHOCK? I inquired why he couldn't sell me a GC and he said because people had been commiting fraud. He said that since they didn't have the chip reader it would be too easy for me to dispute the charge with the bank and they would get a chargeback. I asked if he would sell the GC to someone who has a CC with no chip in it and he said yes.

I'm not sure how that makes sense.... Why deny a chip card (that would have to be swiped), and accept a card that can only be swiped???

I WAS ONLY TRYING TO BUY A $10 GC!!!!!

At least the cashier who just stood there and looked at me was mildly amusing.

Not sure what offer you're referring too, but I don't know if he can flat out refuse a card.

I'd call BK corporate or go into another chain.

I went to Burger King to purchase a $10 GC to use my Amex offer. CV had told me about the superior quality food that the BK chain serves and I wanted to try it for myself. I told the cashier that I would like to purchase one $10 GC. She said "OK" and just stood there looking at me. After a couple seconds I asked her if she was going to go get the card (That was kinda weird). She looked for the cards and could not find them. Next, she called over the manager and I told him I was trying to buy one $10 GC. He went and grabbed a GC and then he noticed that I was pulling a CC out of my wallet. He stopped and asked if my card had a chip in it. I showed him the chip and he said he was sorry and that he was unable to sell me a $10 GC. I WAS IN SHOCK? I inquired why he couldn't sell me a GC and he said because people had been commiting fraud. He said that since they didn't have the chip reader it would be too easy for me to dispute the charge with the bank and they would get a chargeback. I asked if he would sell the GC to someone who has a CC with no chip in it and he said yes.

I'm not sure how that makes sense.... Why deny a chip card (that would have to be swiped), and accept a card that can only be swiped???

I can't remember if I posted about my BK fiasco or not. I feel like I typed it all out and then deleted it because it's BK and their food is Chocolate Goodness anyway, so why should I have expected any less disappointment. It was pretty bad

Not sure what offer you're referring too, but I don't know if he can flat out refuse a card.

I'd call BK corporate or go into another chain.

Because a chip card shifts the liability to BK since they don't have a chip reader. If your card was mag stripe only, the liability still falls on the card issuer.

That's the legal-esque.

The other fact is you're in a ghetto Burger King and should expect nothing less.

Post Offices are near dead now (Maybe not everywhere, but expect it soon). They code the MO as cash so the transaction is declined. I confirmed this myself on the phone, and I read several similar accounts.

Any places that you can still liquidate Vanilla Visas?

Post Offices are near dead now (Maybe not everywhere, but expect it soon). They code the MO as cash so the transaction is declined. I confirmed this myself on the phone, and I read several similar accounts.

Any places that you can still liquidate Vanilla Visas?

I was thinking about this the other day. The Vanilla GC's may still work at the PO, I just need to try it out and see what happens. Although if the transaction codes as cash, I doubt it will work. I supppose grocery stores can process the Vanilla's, but trying to buy MO's at a grocery store in the city with a GC is not possible based on my experience. All the Jewel's have their CSR's trained really well to ask to see the card.

PWD- Have you thought of taking the train to some more affluent suburbs and having a go there? Whether it be Kroger affiliates, Walmart etc.

I have thought about it, but it's too much hassle unless I'm offloading $20,000 per trip. I did do some over the phone recon in Evanston, but had no luck. Next time I go up to WI I plan on trying out a brand new Walmart that is right by my mom's house. That is definitely an affluent area.

The thing is, I don't really mess with gift cards unless there is some sort of sale going on such as a 5% CB category, fee free gift cards, spend $300 get a $20 rebate, or something like that. To pay 1% is too expensive for me. As a result of this I always end up with a bunch of GC's around the holidays, and the rest of the year it's kind of spotty. With this kind of pattern it is tough to develop a relationship with a CSR that allows these kinds of purchases.

Either way, I am getting the job done slowly but surely. I revisited an old Walmart that I used to frequent often, and they magically do split transactions with no questions asked all of a sudden. A year ago I would've been treated like a criminal!

PWD- Have you thought of taking the train to some more affluent suburbs and having a go there? Whether it be Kroger affiliates, Walmart etc.

I have thought about it, but it's too much hassle unless I'm offloading $20,000 per trip. I did do some over the phone recon in Evanston, but had no luck. Next time I go up to WI I plan on trying out a brand new Walmart that is right by my mom's house. That is definitely an affluent area.

The only way to get to where you can liquidate $20K/pop is to do the groundwork. Calling is never the way...boots on the ground.

Is it just my areas or your malls also have just those packaged gebits during the holidays? Never once I thought it'd need so much finger strength to open them up.

At my locations Simon are always in the packages, Macerich are always loose.

Simon always has them loose in my area. They give you a stack of cards and a separate stack of card holders.

Is it just my areas or your malls also have just those packaged gebits during the holidays? Never once I thought it'd need so much finger strength to open them up.

Simon always has them loose in my area. They give you a stack of cards and a separate stack of card holders.

Mine has always been loose, wrapped by rubber band, and with one holder for the sake of TOS. It was possible to email the reps or the manager directly for preferred color before they hired the new manager. Now, they only have them packaged. In the last few trips, they gave me more the half of my orders in those red cards. They shine like christmas trees.

Mine has always been loose, wrapped by rubber band, and with one holder for the sake of TOS. It was possible to email the reps or the manager directly for preferred color before they hired the new manager. Now, they only have them packaged. In the last few trips, they gave me more the half of my orders in those red cards. They shine like christmas trees.

5backs have their own perks though ;)

Stopped in at a grocery store I use to liquidate VGCS. Went to customer service tried to buy a MO it came up on screen not valid tender. I guess this little honey hole has dried up. Went to another grocery store bought the MO I see they had restocked there VGCS looked up big sign no gift cards sale with credit card or checks. No chocolate for me lol.

Important Information

Guidelines