M$ speed bumps

Konrad2012

Edit - As far as I can tell you're not committing any crime with this. However... you've got to keep in mind, people don't come in and just purchase large gift cards, esp, in the thousands of dollars. It's very rare. And it makes people wonder... (even me)...

I'm not really sure anybody here is discussing purchasing thousands of dollars in gift cards from Target or having their credit cards declined for GC purchases.

I could see people that have a properly coded card doing GC purchases at Target, especially if they don't have multiple Redbirds.

And if Mitch is in this thread, why would large GC purchases seem weird? Especially since the GC's are only good in the US? If they worked overseas I could see an issue for skirting currency transport stipulations. Since they are purchased with a credit card, they are traceable from origin to final destination.

A few years back I was chatting with a technologist that was involved in businesses responding to prepaid card money laundering. They are, along with cash and certain demand instruments, subject to the 10k declaration requirement but are hard to detect. She was working with and possibly investing in, companies that were trying to track these. No idea how successful that has been though but it was at least 2+ years ago.

You would buy VGC (Vanilla VGC will not work) at a grocery store with your BCP card. Then find a working ATM at WM. You can load your Serve card there for free. You can also load at the customer service desk or cashier but they might not allow you to use a GC.

I have been turned away from CS, so I just use Money Center ATMs.

http://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx

Use this and then narrow the search by typing in Walmart. Be prepared for the ATMs to be non-functional for weeks at a time by finding several locations near you.

Dang it - I regret closing my serve account so quickly after reading this. Does any Visa gift card work? Since the Vanilla Visa Gift Card doesn't work, which ones DO work?

Mendel - does it have to be a Walmart Money Center ATMs? Can you load serve at any of the moneypass atms found on the website? There is a moneypass ATM that accepts deposits on the ground floor of my work building which would be perfect if I could load serve with it.

Edited by miss206baby

You would buy VGC (Vanilla VGC will not work) at a grocery store with your BCP card. Then find a working ATM at WM. You can load your Serve card there for free. You can also load at the customer service desk or cashier but they might not allow you to use a GC.

I have been turned away from CS, so I just use Money Center ATMs.

http://www.moneypass.com/atm-locator.aspx

Use this and then narrow the search by typing in Walmart. Be prepared for the ATMs to be non-functional for weeks at a time by finding several locations near you.

Dang it - I regret closing my serve account so quickly after reading this. Does any Visa gift card work? Since the Vanilla Visa Gift Card doesn't work, which ones DO work?

Mendel - does it have to be a Walmart Money Center ATMs? Can you load serve at any of the moneypass atms found on the website? There is a moneypass ATM that accepts deposits on the ground floor of my work building which would be perfect if I could load serve with it.

Walmart only.

AFAIK all non Vanilla GC's do work.

Giftcardmall cards stopped working for me last month.

My other sources still work fine.

Would you happen to know the issuer of GCM GC's?

Metabank.

Purchased in Kroger.

Metabank.

Purchased in Kroger.

OK thought you meant from GCM online. I have no problem with those but I do recall some chatter about an update at WM for some terminals.

Metabank.

Purchased in Kroger.

OK thought you meant from GCM online. I have no problem with those but I do recall some chatter about an update at WM for some terminals.

I do know that many Walmart locations can also no longer do bill pay on CCs, whether it is to a specific issuer or on the V/MC network.

Until last month, these GCs worked fine at the MC ATM. Fortunately, I have other grocery shopping options.

Take this from a Target Employee. Whenever we see someone loading a large amount of money to a Gift Card (Especially a Visa/MC/Amex one) we notify the in-store Loss Prevention, who collects video of the person.

We're actually required to inform AP (Loss Prevention) and enforce the limits (depending on the state) to prevent money laundering, and much more commonly Credit Card Fraud.

Thanks for sharing. Just curious, how do you notify them as you're doing the transaction, is there a button you push or a key stroke combo on the keyboard...?

Any instances where you've heard cashiers notifying AP for customers just loading REDcard (or any other such financial Target co-branded products) with a large $ amount or with many items, like using several gift cards to load into it/REDcard?

Credit cards aren't "real" money, so transferring debt-to-cash is suspicious.

I don't know why it would be allowed to begin with.

There are limits Implemented to avoid that, but people use a loop-hole...

It's not really about if they allow it or not

If you're going to load Serve with an Amex, make it an Amex network card not issued by Amex.

I'm going to try my Fidelity Amex.

I've been using my Fidelity Amex for a couple of month's now on Serve. Works great - you do get 2% CB as it is considered a purchase. I also have SoftServe so I load $1500 per month for $30 per month cash back :)

If you're going to load Serve with an Amex, make it an Amex network card not issued by Amex.

I'm going to try my Fidelity Amex.

I've been using my Fidelity Amex for a couple of month's now on Serve. Works great - you do get 2% CB as it is considered a purchase. I also have SoftServe so I load $1500 per month for $30 per month cash back :)

I personally prefer real ice cream to soft serve, but to each their own :beee:

By that reasoning, a business should not be allowed to us a line of credit, or even a check, to purchase inventory which it then sells, because it would be "transferring debt-to-cash".

Edited by JeffeVerde

By that reasoning, a business should not be allowed to us a line of credit, or even a check, to purchase inventory which it then sells, because it would be "transferring debt-to-cash".

Are you disagreeing with what I said, or just being difficult?

That line of reasoning also applies to gift cards and other loadable debit cards. Not business, auto, or personal loans.

The term "manufactured spending" is enough to tell you why it might be considered "suspicious".

Edited by CreditNewb15

Are you disagreeing with what I said, or just being difficult?

That line of reasoning also applies to gift cards and other loadable debit cards. Not business, auto, or personal loans.

The term "manufactured spending" is enough to tell you why it might be considered "suspicious".

I'm trying to figure out why you're still posting in a M$ thread if you are so against it. :dntknw:

I'm trying to figure out why you're still posting in a M$ thread if you are so against it. :dntknw:

I've never said I was against it.

I said I was too lazy to meet category bonuses and to learn how to be an MS pro.

I'm MSing in hopes of prompting some CLIs. The bonuses are..... bonuses... lol

You must be confusing me with the guy who has an MBA.

Edited by CreditNewb15

Metabank.

Purchased in Kroger.

Just loaded some from GCM last night at WM.

My local grocery, staples, and GCM all seem to be issued by MetaBank.

Just cleaned out the last of the pile, and on the hunt for new ones. It's a new month!

Metabank.

Purchased in Kroger.

Just loaded some from GCM last night at WM.

My local grocery, staples, and GCM all seem to be issued by MetaBank.

Just cleaned out the last of the pile, and on the hunt for new ones. It's a new month!

It must vary by location.

Important Information

Guidelines