Jump to content

Sign in to follow this  

Homeowners insurance question

Recommended Posts

I am looking at a home that has a few issues.


The house needs more then just a paint job if you know what I mean.

When you walk up the walkway you have to step up 1 step to go into the house. It is a very large step, almost like a platform and it's made of concrete. One of the edges is crumbleing and will need to be repaired or replaced. I was in no rush to do this because t is so minor and nobody could trip because it is not close to where a person walks.


Next issue is that there are a lot of trees that have fallen down. They are in the back yard. Not where anyone will go near.


I was told that these and other stuff needs to be corrected. I don't have extra money to do this.


Is there a special insurance policy that I could get? On a home in the same neighborhood the cost for insurance is approximatly $2,000.00.


In order to get a mortagage I will need proof of insurance. Any suggestions??


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Insurance companies may decide not to insure a property based on things like railing heights, debris, walkways, chimney conditions, etc... Really any reason at all. If you feel it is unreasonable, you can shop for a different insurance company. A lot of times they never even come out to inspect. Long term, I think you would definitely want to address those issues for the purpose of building value in the property.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

They came out, I guess inspected and now am in need to get another insurance company.


The front step or what ever you want to call it is a bit expensive to replace. Approx $1,350. As this is right in front of the house it needs to be replaced. There is no danger of someone falling because where the damage is isn't close to the door. The fallen trees are where the tree line meets our grass and the trees are down in the "forrest"... If I purchase the home I will fix the front next year. The kitchen needs to be modernized and that will be taking a bunch of money.


Can anyone reccommend an insurance company that is a bit easier???


What happens if you buy a "fixer upper" that has real stuff that needs to be fixed before they issue an insurance policy?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Today's Birthdays

    No users celebrating today.
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
    • Most Online

    Newest Member

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.
  • Create New...

Important Information