Beginning to rebuild... again need collection advice

The last post in this topic was posted 2025 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I posted roughly 10 months ago when i planned to begin to rebuild. I never got started on the rebuild as i was getting married in a few months and just didnt have much of any free time. Well here i am again hoping to get some help on where to start.

Ive been lurking on here for a month or so and seriously want to improve this time. i have read and re read the newbie section, the pyschdoc sticky and a few others. I understand what things mean but im still lost on where to begin.

Heres the deal, The only Fico score ive pulled is EX which is in the 550's.. Credit Karma (which ive read is innacurate) says TU and EQ are in the 590's.

Loan wise I have a mortgage and a car loan I have a few 30 lates on the mortgage car loan is all good. I have 1 30 late on a closed paid in full car loan from Ford from a few years back which i plan on trying a GW letter on shortly. My new car loan is also from Ford so hopefully they will help.

. Revolving credit wise i have nothing reporting. I just added 3 TLs within the past few weeks but none have reported yet. 2 secured cards, one from cap 1 and one from my credit union that will actually graduate so im told. The third i added is a fingerhut (yeah i know) unsecured card. I just got this card to add one more positive TL and to help keep utilization low, i wont need any of their junk but will buy a $20 item every few months to keep it active. I was also added on to one of my wifes cards as an AU, they only asked for my name and no other info so i dont know if it will report or not.

My main questions is about the three accounts i have in collections and how to try to get rid of some of these.

Im in Ohio and these are all within SOL

Here is what i have reporting

ENHANCED RECOVERY CO L

Account Number
XXXX
Account Type
Collection
Terms
1 Month
Date Opened
09/01/2014
Account Status
Closed
Payment Status
Unknown
Payment Status Details
Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department
Status Updated
10/01/2014
Balance
$121.00
Balance Updated
-
Credit Limit
-
Past Due Amount
$121.00
High Balance
-
Monthly Payment
-
Balloon Payment
-
Contact Phone
(800) 496-8941
Contact Address
8014 BAYBERRY RD, JACKSONVILLE, FL 32256
Ownership
Individual
Original Creditor
DISH NETWORK
Company Sold-to
-
Original Amount
$121.00
Comments
-

Im not even sure what this is for, I did have Dish and i did cancel their services. I returned all their equipment and never remember seeing this bill from them. Is there a way i could just pay Dish and make this go away or am i stuck dealing with these guys? Any help on this one would be greatly appreciated.

PORTFOLIO RECOVERY flowers

Account Number
XXXX
Account Type
Collection
Terms
1 Month
Date Opened
05/01/2014
Account Status
Closed
Payment Status
Unknown
Payment Status Details
Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department
Status Updated
08/01/2014
Balance
$1,397.00
Balance Updated
-
Credit Limit
-
Past Due Amount
$1,397.00
High Balance
-
Monthly Payment
-
Balloon Payment
-
Contact Phone
(800) 772-1413
Contact Address
120 CORPORATE BLVD STE 1, NORFOLK, VA 23502
Ownership
Individual
Original Creditor
WORLD FINANCIAL NETWORK BANK
Company Sold-to
-
Original Amount
$1,397.00
Comments
-

This one is from a CO from 2011. I know its fine and the only thing that could be wrong is the amount. My limit wasnt that high and i was not over it. I dont have the 1400 to really mess with this one right now if they wanted to sue me. Again any advise would be greatly appreciated.

THE BUREAUS INC

Account Number
XXXX
Account Type
Collection
Terms
1 Month
Date Opened
04/01/2012
Account Status
Closed
Payment Status
Unknown
Payment Status Details
Status Updated
06/01/2013
Balance
$935.00
Balance Updated
-
Credit Limit
-
Past Due Amount
$675.00
High Balance
-
Monthly Payment
-
Balloon Payment
-
Contact Phone
(800) 708-7071
Contact Address
1717 CENTRAL ST, EVANSTON, IL 60201
Ownership
Individual
Original Creditor
HSBC CARD SERVICES INC.
Company Sold-to
-
Original Amount
$660.00

This one is another CO from 2011. Same story as the other CO collection account. I dont have the 935 if they sued me but could come up with 660 if i had to. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks for looking everyone, any advice how to deal with these collections or how to help me build in other ways would be great. I shouldnt need a mortgage or a car loan for several years but would like to get things going and be able to get my reports cleaned up

Edited by petebill

Welcome back!

Do you have your real paper credit reports? - mailed to you from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion?

If not, call and order them from these automated numbers ($11/ea):

EX 888-397-3742, EQ 800-997-2493, TU 800-888-4213

There are several recent threads about Enhanced Recovery.

You are on the right track for trying to pay Dish directly. Read this for ideas:

Pay OC Instead of CA Process + Letter

Are the World Financial Network Bank and HSBC (the OCs) also reporting?

If so, who owns these debts - the OC or the CAs?

In other words, are Portfolio and the Bureaus acting as collection agencies, or as Junk Debt Buyers (JDBs)?

You said these debts are from 2011.

What is the exact Date of First Delinquency (DOFD) for each?

You may want to leave these last two alone -- until you have the money saved up to pay if necessary.

If you attack them within SOL, they could sue you. And then you'd want to be able to settle in full to avoid a judgment.

The GW letters for lates are the right approach.

Good job getting 3 cards for rebuilding.

A good practice is to pay in full each month.

Pay to $0 BEFORE the statement cuts -- for best FICO benefits.

The idea is for the statements to show a $0 balance, and for each card to report $0 to the CRAs each month.

That's about all I've got.

Good luck! :grin:

Welcome back!

Do you have your real paper credit reports? - mailed to you from Equifax, Experian, and TransUnion?

If not, call and order them from these automated numbers ($11/ea):

EX 888-397-3742, EQ 800-997-2493, TU 800-888-4213

I have them from last year, not current ones though, i will get them

There are several recent threads about Enhanced Recovery.

You are on the right track for trying to pay Dish directly. Read this for ideas:

Pay OC Instead of CA Process + Letter

I will read up on this and contact Dish with and attempt to pay them

Are the World Financial Network Bank and HSBC (the OCs) also reporting?

If so, who owns these debts - the OC or the CAs?

In other words, are Portfolio and the Bureaus acting as collection agencies, or as Junk Debt Buyers (JDBs)?

Yes they appear to be reporting, World financial is reporting a $0 balance/sold to another lender. HSBC/Cap1 still shows a balance.

You said these debts are from 2011.

What is the exact Date of First Delinquency (DOFD) for each?

World financial 8/10/11 HSBC 11/2/11

You may want to leave these last two alone -- until you have the money saved up to pay if necessary.

If you attack them within SOL, they could sue you. And then you'd want to be able to settle in full to avoid a judgment.

I will leave them be until i have the cash, unless i find another way to attack it.

The GW letters for lates are the right approach.

Hopefully it works

Good job getting 3 cards for rebuilding.

A good practice is to pay in full each month.

The idea is for the statements to show a $0 balance, and for each card to report $0 to the CRAs each month.

I will keep the balances at $0

The Dish bill will take some patience, but I got it done last month in one LONG phone call. I left Dish and had a bundled account with another company for internet. I requested a final bill from each. When I got the final bill from the ISP I paid it. I never received one from Dish. Instead, 3 weeks after cancelling I got a letter from rpm (ca). I immediately called Dish and was transferred 8 times (each person saying I had to deal with the CA) until I finally got someone who took the payment by phone. I then sent off the letter to the CA. It can be done, just don't take no for an answer. :)

bump to the top

Did you have other questions?

Feel free to ask, or post letters, etc. for feedback.

Have you ordered current copies of your reports?

Have you sent GW letters for the lates?

Any luck paying Dish directly?

(You were going to leave the two charge-offs alone for now, because they are within SOL and you don't have cash to pay if sued.)

I was just seeing if anyone else had advice, answering your questions below....

bump to the top

Did you have other questions?

Feel free to ask, or post letters, etc. for feedback.

Have you ordered current copies of your reports?

They have been Ordered

Have you sent GW letters for the lates?

Plan on writing them today, They are with Ford and Chase, after my research im not expecting good results but you never know.

Any luck paying Dish directly?

Ive only tried once and was told it needed to be paid to the CA, I wont pay them so i will keep trying...

(You were going to leave the two charge-offs alone for now, because they are within SOL and you don't have cash to pay if sued.)
Not messing with these until i get my bonus check this year incase they decide to sue.

Oh and does anyone have any advice on how to get Dish to take my payment directly?

Tried Dish again and couldnt get them to accept a payment, anyone have a success story with them?

One good thing is my wifes account i was added too as an AU is showing up on EQ, nothing yet on TU or EX but hopefully they will come.

read the pinned topic " your collection score. "

you may want to hang back until there are out of SOL, unless you can pay off.

Interesting stuff, I cant hide under a rock for that long. If i HAD to pay them off i could, just not all at once.

Thank you for the advice

How do you know when the statement cuts? Do you mean pay before the actual due date?

How do you know when the statement cuts? Do you mean pay before the actual due date?

The statement cut is the final date listed on each monthly statement.

For example, your if your statement says Feb 17 to Mar 16, then March 16 is the date the statement cuts.

The due date is usually 25 days after the statement cuts -- the grace period.

What you want to do is pay in full before the statement cut date each month -- rather than the due date.

Your statement will then show a $0 balance.

And the card will report $0 to the CRAs.

This is a quirk of FICO scoring - they figure your utilization based on the statement balances.

So if you pay in full by the due date instead of the statement date, your score is penalized for high utilization.

To optimize your FICO scores, don't take advantage of the 25-day grace period before the due date.

Some card issuers won't let you pay in full online every time.

In that case, you can use your bank's Bill Pay to push a payment to them.

Just remember that Bill Pay may take 3-5 days to clear.

Edited by tweak

Call Dish and do not take no for an answer. If the person you speak to says no, ask for their "coach". If they don't know ask for their "coach" and so on. Ask for a US based call center if the first rep is abroad or it will never happen. It took me an hour plus of this, but I finally got someone on the phone who could help. As a last resort, this is the office of the president 1-888-721-7101. I would recommend only calling that number if you cannot get anyone else to help. Best of luck :)

Call Dish and do not take no for an answer. If the person you speak to says no, ask for their "coach". If they don't know ask for their "coach" and so on. Ask for a US based call center if the first rep is abroad or it will never happen. It took me an hour plus of this, but I finally got someone on the phone who could help. As a last resort, this is the office of the president 1-888-721-7101. I would recommend only calling that number if you cannot get anyone else to help. Best of luck :)

Thank you, i will give this a try tomorrow

Well got home from work today and checked the mail... got two things

first: my TU hard copy report

second: a letter from Asset Recovery Solutions LLC

The letter from the CA is for the HSBC debt (The Bureaus) at the top of the letter it states the OC as HSBC and the current creditor as Bureaus Investment Group.

The letter was the your account has been referred to us for collections letter with the 30 day notice.

-does this letter mean they have purchased the debt from Bureaus or are they just collecting for them?

-On my paper report from TU HSBC isnt listed as am adverse account but i have two listing from capital one, i believe one of these is the HSBC debt., am i correct? The Bureaus collection on the report list HSBC and not capital one... not sure if thats an issue or not? Also the high balance listed from Cap1 is $660, Bureaus shows $660 as the Original amount with $935 balance owed. The DOFD from Cap1 is 8/4/11

Im assuming i should send a DV letter to Asset Recovery, am i correct? anything else i should do?

any help is appreciated

yeah, they are just a CA for the Bureaus

how old is this account and what state are you in ?

I thought I typed the DOFD on the last post but I don't see it... 8/4/11

Ohio which I believe is 6 years

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

UPDATE:

I just got Dish to accept my payment directly, It is showing on my bank statement as DISH NETWORK ONE TIM

I will send the letter out to the collection company in charge of this stating i paid dish directly to please stop all collection activity.

is there anything else i need to do with this as of now?

here is the emailed receipt from Dish

Account Number: ************1085

Dear PeteBill,

Thank you for your recent payment.

Payment Details Payment amount: $121.07

Payment date: Sat, 03/28

Payment form: Credit Card ending in ****

AutoPay: No
Thank you for being a valued DISH customer.

Edited by petebill
  • 4 months later...

Just shy of 5 months in and all three of my fico scores sit within a few points of 600 so ive made around a 50 point jump since ive started.

Ive had no luck getting the lates removed with goodwills, ill keep trying every once in awhile.

I made the enhanced recovery collection go away

The Portfolio recovery collection is still there

The Bureaus collection has changed hands for the 2nd time in 5 months. I forget the first company who got it but when they sent a dunning letter i DVed them. They sent a very weak validation, shortly after they went away.

A couple of days ago i get a letter from midland about the same debt, they also call about 5 times a day but i have not talked to them. I assume the first step is to dv them again but is there anything else i can do?

Edited by petebill

Hang in there, dude. I spent three years battling the CAs and trying to clean up my credit. My reports are almost clean now.

You didn't get into trouble overnight, so you're not going to get out of it overnight.

Choose your battles carefully, and above all, have patience. Time heals all wounds when it comes to credit.

read the pinned topic " your collection score. "

you may want to hang back until there are out of SOL, unless you can pay off.

Interesting stuff, I cant hide under a rock for that long. If i HAD to pay them off i could, just not all at once.

Thank you for the advice

Sure you can. :grin:

If you have accounts within SOL you risk a very big chance of them coming after you. Laying low and keeping off the radar (not disputing things on your reports, obtaining new loans/CC's..)

lessens your chance. I've done it for just about 7 years now and it isn't so bad. :wave:

The 2 that came after us isn't bad compared to the many we have (soon to be had).

Edited by goturtlego

All this talk about collection score and them coming after me worries me a bit. Im going to have a pretty sizable check coming in from over payment of escrow on my mortgage last year. (i knew chase was crazy when they raised my payment almost $100 a month)

If i were to try to pay these collections off it doesnt restart the 7 year clock does it? Is there any reason i shouldnt pay them and keep ignoring it?

The last post in this topic was posted 2025 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.