REDBIRDS

mrjuggalo9er

The last post in this topic was posted 2214 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'm about to unload some one vanilla and vanilla gift cards. Its my understanding that any loads over $300 prompt for an ID. What happens when they ID me and there is no name on the GC?

I'm thinking about loading $250 at a time to prevent this.

Anyone have experience with this?

Interesting...No ID check, no last 4 digits. Must be a debit card thing.
Cool - I will trying this. Thanks!
I loaded $495 X 2 and a $500. The scanner recognized it as debit instantly. I didn't even have a choice to press credit.

Did you do this a customer service or at a register? Customer service always asks me for my ID and last 4 of the CC.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They told me the policy was to ask for ID if CC is not signed.

They probably don't like you.

Target has never asked me for an ID. I don't even give them the credit cards, just tell them the last 4 digits.

you must be right...my statement meant nothing....considering the facts

was using different cards...all signed 1st time...never asked. 1 not signed next time, only asked on that one.

cashier made statement herself and actually did what she said....guess that doesn't happen everyday.....someone with real integrity

But, I guess when you ignore facts, you can justify or feel good about any assumption or crazy idea you can say about someone.

Edited by daslim1

Target has never asked me for an ID. I don't even give them the credit cards, just tell them the last 4 digits.

was using different cards...all signed 1st time...never asked. 1 not signed next time, only asked on that one.

cashier made statement herself and actually did what she said....guess that doesn't happen everyday.....someone with real integrity

But, I guess when you ignore facts, you can justify or feel good about any assumption or crazy idea you can say about someone.

I nominate for immediate title change: Douchecoughcough

I nominate for immediate title change: Douchecoughcough

Second the motion

Sounds like a new cashier doing his/her job.

Most cashiers that just got the job and want to really show their supervisors and managers they are doing a good job.. do so by asking questions, or reading signs around them. And if a customer comes up with an unsigned card.. yes, that is about the ONE time I.D. can be asked for. (I know because I am somewhat militant about identifying myself as well. I have walked out of stores over it. Store P.O.V.: "See? Good job. You stopped an I.D. thief, or scammer. Probably wasn't his card. That's why he walked out." Because people DO notice a walk-out.. and they ask why business was denied. Your P.O.V.: "I really didn't think they were going to ask me." It comes in waves.. Christmas? Holiday? Oh yeah. . They may be back on it.)

And, no, they 99% have never heard of CB, don't know about creditor/Visa or MC relationships, and feel as though they are doing their job. I remember how much Best Buy bugged on me when I came in there with a receipt for a paid item from the other store. Wow. And they denied me. They really feel like they are doing their store a service..

Soo.. Was this their policy?

Most cashiers that just got the job and want to really show their supervisors and managers they are doing a good job.. do so by asking questions, or reading signs around them. And if a customer comes up with an unsigned card.. yes, that is about the ONE time I.D. can be asked for. (I know because I am somewhat militant about identifying myself as well. I have walked out of stores over it. Store P.O.V.: "See? Good job. You stopped an I.D. thief, or scammer. Probably wasn't his card. That's why he walked out." Because people DO notice a walk-out.. and they ask why business was denied. Your P.O.V.: "I really didn't think they were going to ask me." It comes in waves.. Christmas? Holiday? Oh yeah. . They may be back on it.)

And, no, they 99% have never heard of CB, don't know about creditor/Visa or MC relationships, and feel as though they are doing their job. I remember how much Best Buy bugged on me when I came in there with a receipt for a paid item from the other store. Wow. And they denied me. They really feel like they are doing their store a service..

Funny thing is, I wasn't even trying to say anything personal to Daslime1. :) Despite my personal feelings towards her, that is a common reply I would give around here to anyone for anytime a YMMV situation doesn't work out as a positive.

Kind of like getting denied by Citi for having 5 INQ's on EX. They must not like you, because I just got a Citi card with 7 or 8 INQ's, and someone else got one with 10.

Notice I also said specifically that Target has never asked me for an ID. My local grocery store manager asks me for ID every time he has to use the override card when I purchase $1,000 or $2,000 in VGC's. And he always tells me these are non-returnable, non-refundable and non-reloadable. He just follows a script. The dude totally knows who I am, chats with me at the Starbucks next door to the store if I see him there while he's on a break etc. Staples asks me for ID every single time I purchase gift cards.

I've also penned separate posts on here about getting to be friendly with a cashier or two at some of these spots. Some people laughed about it. Our local business school graduate pundit found it laughable that I would waste my time to learn someone's name. People like to hear their name. In the first 4 seconds of an interaction you can set the tone for the remaining 5 minutes, possibly for follow up visits. Walk up to the CSR at Target that's had people mouse at them about returns or broken crap all day. Give her a big smile "Hi Trixie, how is your day going today?" Might be surprised the results you get. To me it's no different than being friendly to the bartender or waitresses at the places you frequent. Build a rapport it can pay off in spades.

Edited by Konrad2012

Funny thing is, I wasn't even trying to say anything personal to Daslime1. :) Despite my personal feelings towards her, that is a common reply I would give around here to anyone for anytime a YMMV situation doesn't work out as a positive.

Kind of like getting denied by Citi for having 5 INQ's on EX. They must not like you, because I just got a Citi card with 7 or 8 INQ's, and someone else got one with 10.

Notice I also said specifically that Target has never asked me for an ID. My local grocery store manager asks me for ID every time he has to use the override card when I purchase $1,000 or $2,000 in VGC's. And he always tells me these are non-returnable, non-refundable and non-reloadable. He just follows a script. The dude totally knows who I am, chats with me at the Starbucks next door to the store if I see him there while he's on a break etc. Staples asks me for ID every single time I purchase gift cards.

I've also penned separate posts on here about getting to be friendly with a cashier or two at some of these spots. Some people laughed about it. Our local business school graduate pundit found it laughable that I would waste my time to learn someone's name. People like to hear their name. In the first 4 seconds of an interaction you can set the tone for the remaining 5 minutes, possibly for follow up visits. Walk up to the CSR at Target that's had people mouse at them about returns or broken crap all day. Give her a big smile "Hi Trixie, how is your day going today?" Might be surprised the results you get. To me it's no different than being friendly to the bartender or waitresses at the places you frequent. Build a rapport it can pay off in spades.

:good:

I APPROVE this post!!! :D

I could add experiences, but.. you said it SO well!!!

:clapping:

:)

Very true... and I am glad I read this post, I need to practice more.

There are some people that simply should not have the jobs they have. Period.

I remember when I had wallet stolen etc *except for my credit card I did not have in my wallet at the time* in Indianapolis, IN and the Advance Auto Zone people honestly got off on harassing me over my no I.D... after I walked 3 miles there, to pick up an - incorrect - online order. My oh my will I never b we demeaned OR made to entertain at my expense again.

If only there was a way to have them arrested. My only revenge was to steal from other Advancd stores. And I did. Successfully. flowers-hats.

Actually.. yeah, no more Advance for me. Maybe just AutoZone now. PepBoys is too high pressure.. last time I checked.

+1

You nailed that Konrad

Got my Redbird today, went to target to max it out for the day. 3 swipes, same card.

A little risky don't you think? Not from a Target will question you perspective, but from your lender questioning you perspective.

Got my Redbird today, went to target to max it out for the day. 3 swipes, same card.

A little risky don't you think? Not from a Target will question you perspective, but from your lender questioning you perspective.

I surprised they even let them do three loads in a row. If anything should set off a fraud alert that would be it.

The last post in this topic was posted 2214 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.