New card issued, can I close it right away? Help!

The last post in this topic was posted 2464 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I've been trying to find a post with a similar situation for help, but I haven't been able to find a similar situation.

I recently opened a new card simply to do a 0% balance transfer. Turns out that I can't do a transfer between two cards from the same company - well duh. So now that new card is sitting there empty, I figured no problem, doesn't hurt to have a larger overall credit line.

But now a month later, I see that it just caused my credit score to drop about 100 points because my "Age of Credit History" went from "Good" to "Poor" because of the new card. OMG!!!!

Should I close this new card? And if I do, will it still show up as a new account affecting my average credit age? I hope it's not too late and there is SOMETHING I can do?

According to Credit Karma...my VantageScore by Equifax was 753 last month, and is now 666. TransUnion was 760, now 665.

FYP for CV

Kerri.....see cv's signature. There's a reason for it. :-)

FWIW I've never seen a single person on here say they received/were denied for credit bc of their VantageScore (not many use it). If you are concerned about your scores, FICO is all that really matters.

According to Credit Karma...my VantageScore by Equifax was 753 last month, and is now 666. TransUnion was 760, now 665.

FYP for CV

FWIW I've never seen a single person on here say they received/were denied for credit bc of their VantageScore (not many use it). If you are concerned about your scores, FICO is all that really matters.

I need to make that bigger.

FYP for CV

Love the new size.... now about color... It could be flashier ;)

FYP for CV

Love the new size.... now about color... It could be flashier ;)

Maybe use the <blink> tag.

FYP for CV

:rofl: MUCH BETTER ! ! !

Let me see if I know how this works. So Credit Karma has been kind enough to archive my TU reports back to 2012.

According to Credit Karma... I have zero, zilch, nada accounts that were open at this time.

59P2eOp.png

Depending on the issuer - you can possibly combine the limits between the two cards. Otherwise, keep it open it's not going to help your AAOA any to close it.

Also, yes, don't go by Credit Karma as others have said.

Im guessing OP means original poster? :)

Chase. Has 15k limit with 6k on it, I figued may as well get 0% interest on it for the next 6 months or so as im paying it down. Chase gave me a new one with 4k limit, then said they wouldn't do the transfer.

Chase will let you combine those limits for 19k on one card. That would at least help with utilization. You may have a hard time finding a good balance transfer card offer with a high limit (that wouldn't give you a maxed card...even if 0% it'll hit your scores hard)

Look at the Barclay Ring card....just not sure about typical limits though.

Also NASA FCU might give you a nice limit with a low interest BT offer that wouldn't kill your utilization.

The last post in this topic was posted 2464 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.