Sign in to follow this  
pwd847

What are your guy's 3 favorite secured cards and why?

What are your 3 favorite secured cards?  

499 members have voted

1. 1. What are your 3 favorite secured cards?

• Capital One Secured
    • Open Sky Secured
    • NFCU nRewards Secured
    • CitiBank Secured
    • BankAmericard Secured Visa/1-2-3 Rewards Secured
    • Wells Fargo Secured
    • DCU Platinum Secured
    • U.S. Bank Secured
    • State Department Federal Credit Union Secured
    • Discover IT Secured
    • First Progress Platinum Elite
    • USAA Secured
    • OTHER

Here is the new and improved poll.

No grasshoppers were used or abused in bringing this to you.

Nice!

So I voted for NFCU (even though I'm not eligible,) BOA, and Discover. In that order. They all can graduate into unsecured cards that may be useful moving forward.

Why would anyone vote for a card that doesn't graduate? I can think of about 2 reasons that occur rarely.

Does Citi still offer a secured CC? I thought it was discontinued.

No surprise that BOA and NFCU are leading.

I think the standard advice should always be NFCU first if eligible though.

BOA is a great option for those not eligible.

Really that's all the credit you give me? YES there is a Citi secured card and it is not advertised. You MUST app for it in branch. I would have one right now if they went up to $10,000. I also didn't vote yet.

I voted for Citi. It's not offered on their website and hasn't been in years but I have heard people are able to get it in the branches. Not sure that is still offered though. I see pwd notes it is still offered.

It was by far the best secured card I've ever run across or rather, lucked into. At the time I got the card it was secured with a 4.07% APR CD so I put the max (25k then) in. Made about $1,500 in interest before it unsecured. It was a good 2% above most other bank CDs at the time. I didn't want them to unsecure it but it was automatic. Sort of. They pulled two reports on me a day apart before they unsecured. Had a scary baddy (high 6 figure paid tax lien) which likely triggered a secondary review the next day. Didn't contact me though and it was unsecured automatically. I PCed it a bit later to the AA Exec card but then stopped using it much when they discontinued virtual CCs on that product and it was my goto card on any internet or call in purchase.

Citi has restored virtual CC services on the AA card and I've started using it for that purpose again.

I also voted for the WF card. They both unsecured before my negs dropped off so now my credit reports show no sign of any impairment outside of the fact the oldest account is way less than the dates the CRA files were opened. Nothing I can do about that though.

Edited by cashnocredit

A low-info voter

An uninformed voter. I expect there to be several of these. Unless of course they read this.

Edited by pwd847

I voted for Citi just because they only had 1 vote. I have no experience with secured cards BTW

Did you know that the AF for Citi is $79 for the first year and $99 for every year after that????

Actually the above is a lie, but please don't vote for something for no reason. This is a legitimate poll to gain info on how to help people most efficiently with secured cards.

I voted for Citi just because they only had 1 vote. I have no experience with secured cards BTW

Did you know that the AF for Citi is $79 for the first year and $99 for every year after that????

Actually the above is a lie, but please don't vote for something for no reason. This is a legitimate poll to gain info on how to help people most efficiently with secured cards.

Wow. They have sure gone downhill in the last 5 years.

Oh, now I see the "fine print" lol.

Edited by cashnocredit