2015 - the year I break through: lilyflower's running thread

The last post in this topic was posted 1188 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Next steps for 2016:

1) Close Chase United and combine limit into Chase Marriott for card with $38.5K limit

2) When Jet Blue Amex hits 13th statement move $12K of limit to BCE for card with $34.5K limit

3) Go 3X CLI on Jet Blue Amex in April to bring limit back to $22.5K - immediately move some of the limit to BCE to make huge limit card (at least $45K) before it goes to Barclays

4) Wait for Amex TE to go to Citi, try for CLI when card becomes whatever if it does with CIti, if no AF. Otherwise, close.

5) Let Amex and Chase limits report - use as prybars to see if BOA and Citi would match/beat.

6) Combine Jet Blue Barclays with Barclays Rewards, if possible, and close Barclays Rewards.

If that all works out that'll bring me down to 27 or 28 cards and many with high limits.

• Replies 466
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay, scratch my plan regarding Amex because it doesn't look like my Jet Blue card will be old enough before it's transferred over to Barclays. I'm just going to have to roll the dice with that and hope they don't cut my limit too much and let me combine it with my Rewards card.

Okay, scratch my plan regarding Amex because it doesn't look like my Jet Blue card will be old enough before it's transferred over to Barclays. I'm just going to have to roll the dice with that and hope they don't cut my limit too much and let me combine it with my Rewards card.

I would say it's unlikely they'll cut it... it's not that much higher than your rewards card... be optimistic!

I would say it's unlikely they'll cut it... it's not that much higher than your rewards card... be optimistic!

Barclays is not a fan of mine, although I am really looking to ditch the rewards card so it'd be a great way to combine.

So finally got my new Chase Marriott Premier card today. I think this is made of some kind of metal, it's much thicker, heavier and sturdier than any of my other cards. I'm kind of impressed by the look of it. (Plus the high limit doesn't hurt either.) It should get a good amount of use in the next few months with the MegaBonus offer at Marriott and my plans to stay at a few Marriott locations already.

I'm holding onto my Chase United card until the end of February only because I'm actually FLYING United in late February to Europe (for business) and it might come in handy for some reason to have that card with me. (Although I'm already flying business class so the lounge and checked baggage benefits mean nothing to me.)

So the updated strategy now with my Jet Blue card going to Barclays in March is this.

1) Close Chase United and Combine with Chase Marriott for $38.5K limit card

2) Wait for Amex Jet Blue to become Barclays Jet Blue - combine Barclays Rewards into this card for Barclays Jet Blue with $37.5K limit card

3) Wait for Amex TE to be taken over by Citi - see if they'll go huge on the limit. If not, close.

4) Use Amex CLI in spring to try to go huge on BCE - even if I end up sending in a 4506-T. (Which I think they're going to insist upon but who knows?)

5) See if I can use limits from Chase and Barclays as prybars with BOA and Citi. (I'd love to combine by Citi HHonors card with my Double Cash but don't think that's possible)

This would still reduce the number of overall cards and give me many with high limits. Regarding any NEW apps for this year going to sit back and wait for a really good targeted offer since there's nothing I actually WANT in terms of cards right now. I have multiple cards with high limits and no FTF that I can use to travel abroad. I have pretty much the best cash back cards out there without venturing into the business card category. I have all the cards for travel I would actually DO (Amex Platinum isn't worth it for me unless they give me a massive sign on bonus.)

There's no white whale out there for me anymore. Everything i was denied for I ended up getting in 2015-16. This year is mostly going to be about strategic combinations, CLI and aging. With a possible few additions where they made sense (like the Chase Marriott 70K point sign on bonus, that was worth the app.)

• 3 weeks later...

As of 2/14/16:

Major:

Amex PRG (4/15) NPSL

Ebates Visa (3/15) $35K

Chase Marriott Premier (1/16) $31K

Cap 1 QS World MC (5/11) $30.5K

BOA Royal Caribbean Visa (1/15) - $30K

Citi Double Cash (1/15) $25K

Amex Jet Blue (2/15) $22.5K

Amex BCE (9/15) $22.5K

Amex Hilton HHonors (9/15) $22.5K

Sync Paypal Extras MC ( 2/15) $20K

Chase Freedom (2/15) $17K

Barclays Cash Rewards (5/14) $15K

Discover IT (11/14) $13.3K

Citi HHonors Visa Signature (10/15) $13K

DCU Visa (7/14) $10K

Total Rewards Visa (2/15) $9.7K

Orbitz Visa (2/15) $7.5K

Chase United Mileage Plus (5/15) $7.5K

Alliant Visa (6/14) $5k

WF Visa (3/12) $1900

Amex True Earnings (2/15) $1200

Store

Amazon (7/13) $15K

Old Navy (4/14) $10K

TJX (2/15) $10K

Bloomingdale's (6/06) $7k

Macy's (3/12) $5.4K

Victoria's Secret (7/13) $3350

Avenue (7/13) $3300

Lane Bryant (7/13) $3150

Kohl's ( 7/13) $3K

Total lines $400,300

Average limit $13,715

Average age of accounts: 3.58 years

Amazing! Congratulations! Well done! You are an inspiration for many of us! (except for the Kohl's card.... :rofl: )

LOL, the Kohl's card comes in handy from time to time lol...

I got a pre-approved offer for an Amex Business Gold with 75K bonus points for $5K spend in 3 months. Since I'm almost through meeting the Marriott bonus I apped this and got approved! I also put in some apps for a Chase Ink, figuring why not go for some good stuff if I'm venturing into business cards.

• 1 month later...

So a bit of an update - I hit my MR bonus for the Amex Business Gold. Working on the bonus (and will have it soon on the Ink Plus and Marriott Premier)

I also got my new Barclays Jet Blue Card and activated it then immediately called to move a big chunk of the Rewards limit over to it making it now my largest line at $36.5K! :yahoo::yahoo:

Going to experiment with the Barclays rewards for a few more months to see if I can get the limit up on it again (to transfer to the Jet Blue) before closing it entirely. I have no real use for the card now since my cell phone/cable now go through the Ink Plus for 5X points

As of 3/21/2016

Major:

Amex PRG (4/15) NPSL

Barclays Jet Blue (2/15) $36.5K

Ebates Visa (3/15) $35K

Amex BCE (9/15) $22.5K

DCU Visa (7/14) $10K

Orbitz Visa (2/15) $7.5K

Alliant Visa (6/14) $5k

WF Visa (3/12) $1900

Barclays Rewards (5/14) $1000

Store

Amazon (7/13) $15K

Old Navy (4/14) $10K

TJX (2/15) $10K

Macy's (3/12) $5.4K

Avenue (7/13) $3300

Lane Bryant (7/13) $3150

Kohl's ( 7/13) $3K

Total lines $400,300

Average limit $13,715

Average age of accounts: 3.68 years

Whoa, completely surprised but I hit the luv button on Discover's site and they just gave me a $5K CLI. Still not one of my higher limits but I'll take it!!

As of 3/21/2016

Major:

Amex PRG (4/15) NPSL

Barclays Jet Blue (2/15) $36.5K

Ebates Visa (3/15) $35K

Amex BCE (9/15) $22.5K

Discover IT (11/14) $18.5K

DCU Visa (7/14) $10K

Orbitz Visa (2/15) $7.5K

Alliant Visa (6/14) $5k

WF Visa (3/12) $1900

Store

Amazon (7/13) $15K

Old Navy (4/14) $10K

TJX (2/15) $10K

Macy's (3/12) $5.4K

Avenue (7/13) $3300

Lane Bryant (7/13) $3150

Kohl's ( 7/13) $3K

Total lines $405,300

Average limit $13,900

Average age of accounts: 3.68 years

Not included above:

Amex Business Gold - NPSL

Chase Ink Plus - $5K

Barclay seems to be feeling the luv with me! I saw the option to request a CLI on my Jet Blue card so figured what the heck and put in that I wanted a $10K increase. They came back with a limit of $39K!!! This is now my highest limit!!

I think saying I planned on doing a BT helped (although I have no intention of doing so)

As of 3/21/2016

Major:

Amex PRG (4/15) NPSL

Barclays Jet Blue (2/15) $39K

Ebates Visa (3/15) $35K

Amex BCE (9/15) $22.5K

DCU Visa (7/14) $10K

Orbitz Visa (2/15) $7.5K

Alliant Visa (6/14) $5k

WF Visa (3/12) $1900

Store

Amazon (7/13) $15K

Old Navy (4/14) $10K

TJX (2/15) $10K

Macy's (3/12) $5.4K

Avenue (7/13) $3300

Lane Bryant (7/13) $3150

Kohl's ( 7/13) $3K

Total lines $407,800

Average limit $13,993

Average age of accounts: 3.69 years

Not included above:

Chase Ink Plus - $5K

Got an itchy finger tonight. SPG approved - $2k limit which sucks but I can grow that.

As of 3/23/2016:

As of 3/21/2016

Major:

Amex PRG (4/15) NPSL

Ebates Visa (3/15) $35K

Amex BCE (9/15) $22.5K

DCU Visa (7/14) $10K

Orbitz Visa (2/15) $7.5K

Alliant Visa (6/14) $5k

Amex SPG (3/16) $2k

WF Visa (3/12) $1900

Store

Amazon (7/13) $15K

Old Navy (4/14) $10K

TJX (2/15) $10K

Macy's (3/12) $5.4K

Avenue (7/13) $3300

Lane Bryant (7/13) $3150

Kohl's ( 7/13) $3K

Total lines $409,800

Average limit $13,564

Average age of accounts: 3.63 years

Not included above:

Chase Ink Plus - $5K

Oh and for those of you who are following my thread and want a summary of how I did this - got to over $400k in individual lines and all the top cards it did take a while but I have some general tips

1) open a card as soon as you can while rebuilding. You need age and positive tradelines. Go for secured cards that graduate and store cards over the predatory lenders if you can't get in with the big boys yet.

2) work on your negatives, be persistent. Realize you may have to wait for some OCs to fall off no matter what you do. Position yourself as best you can to get the highest score jump when this happens

3) Get your foot in the door with the prime lenders as soon as you can - Amex, Chase, Citi, Barclays, BofA. Even if the limit they give you to start is crap it can grow quickly if you're patient PIF and give it about six months. My current highest limit the Jet Blue card which has a $39k limit started only last year as a $2k limit Amex

4) Open a Sync card while you're rebuilding - always always always call the UW for a CLI and ask for huge limits, they'll counter with whatever they can give you. I got my Ebates visa to $35k this way in less than six months

5) Take advantage of backdoor numbers for analysts. Besides Sync this works well with Barclays and BofA

6) Combine limits to create pry bars - once you have one high limit reporting other creditors will follow suit. My first $30k+ limit came from combining a bunch of old Cap 1 cards. Since then I've actually gotten approvals for $31k starting from Chase and $22k from Amex

7) This is obvious but you need to keep your utilization LOW and pay everything on time. Once you have 2 years of solid on time history and low utilization creditors are more likely to take a "risk" on you no matter what else is still showing on your reports

8) unless your oldest card is something predatory, keep it open and active. I have a Bloomies store card from 2006 that I will keep forever as it hits 10 years this summer which is a major score bump

9) it's okay to have store cards but don't go crazy - and don't open cards for stores you never plan to actually shop at. If you get to a FICO above 700 stop opening store cards period unless there's some really great offer or you can get the Visa/MC/Amex version of the store card

10) until you have a "thick file" wait at least 3-6 months between app sprees. Otherwise all the new lines will kill your Average Age and bring your scores down

11) Once you get close to 700 start thinking long term with what cards you'd want to keep for years and open those FIRST before focusing on what cards are giving bonuses. Typically these are the good cards with rewards and no AF - Citi DC, Chase Freedom, Amex BCE (but an ED would be good here too), a hotel/travel card for somewhere the points make sense for you. (for me with BofA it's the Royal Caribbean Visa because I love to cruise). Cards that give bonuses can be eventually churned and combined with other cards to increase your limits as mentioned above.

12) Close cards strategically - if you're combining keep your oldest card if you can with the lender unless the new one has way better benefits/terms. Close cards from subprime lenders if they won't waive the ridiculous fees. Until you have a high AAOA hold onto as many tradelines that don't have a fee as you can unless the lender is ridiculous (Target would never let me go above a $200 limit, I hate Walmart and won't set foot in one so I closed both cards. I also closed a US Bank card that refused to waive the AF, reduce my interest rate or do a PC to anything better).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and for those of you who are following my thread and want a summary of how I did this - got to over $400k in individual lines and all the top cards it did take a while but I have some general tips

1) open a card as soon as you can while rebuilding. You need age and positive tradelines. Go for secured cards that graduate and store cards over the predatory lenders if you can't get in with the big boys yet.

2) work on your negatives, be persistent. Realize you may have to wait for some OCs to fall off no matter what you do. Position yourself as best you can to get the highest score jump when this happens

3) Get your foot in the door with the prime lenders as soon as you can - Amex, Chase, Citi, Barclays, BofA. Even if the limit they give you to start is crap it can grow quickly if you're patient PIF and give it about six months. My current highest limit the Jet Blue card which has a $39k limit started only last year as a $2k limit Amex

4) Open a Sync card while you're rebuilding - always always always call the UW for a CLI and ask for huge limits, they'll counter with whatever they can give you. I got my Ebates visa to $35k this way in less than six months

5) Take advantage of backdoor numbers for analysts. Besides Sync this works well with Barclays and BofA

6) Combine limits to create pry bars - once you have one high limit reporting other creditors will follow suit. My first $30k+ limit came from combining a bunch of old Cap 1 cards. Since then I've actually gotten approvals for $31k starting from Chase and $22k from Amex

7) This is obvious but you need to keep your utilization LOW and pay everything on time. Once you have 2 years of solid on time history and low utilization creditors are more likely to take a "risk" on you no matter what else is still showing on your reports

8) unless your oldest card is something predatory, keep it open and active. I have a Bloomies store card from 2006 that I will keep forever as it hits 10 years this summer which is a major score bump

9) it's okay to have store cards but don't go crazy - and don't open cards for stores you never plan to actually shop at. If you get to a FICO above 700 stop opening store cards period unless there's some really great offer or you can get the Visa/MC/Amex version of the store card

10) until you have a "thick file" wait at least 3-6 months between app sprees. Otherwise all the new lines will kill your Average Age and bring your scores down

11) Once you get close to 700 start thinking long term with what cards you'd want to keep for years and open those FIRST before focusing on what cards are giving bonuses. Typically these are the good cards with rewards and no AF - Citi DC, Chase Freedom, Amex BCE (but an ED would be good here too), a hotel/travel card for somewhere the points make sense for you. (for me with BofA it's the Royal Caribbean Visa because I love to cruise). Cards that give bonuses can be eventually churned and combined with other cards to increase your limits as mentioned above.

12) Close cards strategically - if you're combining keep your oldest card if you can with the lender unless the new one has way better benefits/terms. Close cards from subprime lenders if they won't waive the ridiculous fees. Until you have a high AAOA hold onto as many tradelines that don't have a fee as you can unless the lender is ridiculous (Target would never let me go above a $200 limit, I hate Walmart and won't set foot in one so I closed both cards. I also closed a US Bank card that refused to waive the AF, reduce my interest rate or do a PC to anything better).

Awesome Lilyflower, thanks!

"Once you have 2 years of solid on time history and low utilization creditors are more likely to take a "risk" on you no matter what else is still showing on your reports"

Very true. That's one of the reasons why it pays to be patient and not apply for too much too soon if you are living with long term negatives.

"Once you have 2 years of solid on time history and low utilization creditors are more likely to take a "risk" on you no matter what else is still showing on your reports"

Very true. That's one of the reasons why it pays to be patient and not apply for too much too soon if you are living with long term negatives.

Exactly. Once I hit the 2 year mark I was able to get in with Amex and Chase even with a PR still showing

Exactly. Once I hit the 2 year mark I was able to get in with Amex and Chase even with a PR still showing

Exactly 3 years of positive history got me in with both Chase and Amex even when I still had COs and a PR showing. (All are now gone)

• 4 weeks later...

Had some CLI luv today: Orbitz Visa $7.5K -> $9.5K still a kind of crap limit IMO for a hotel card but the extra orbucks come in handy from time to time so it'll stay for now.

As of 4/18/2016

Major:

Amex PRG (4/15) NPSL

Ebates Visa (3/15) $35K

Amex BCE (9/15) $22.5K

DCU Visa (7/14) $10K

Orbitz Visa (2/15) $9.5K

Alliant Visa (6/14) $5k

SPG Amex (3/15) $2K

WF Visa (3/12) $1900

Store

Amazon (7/13) $15K

Old Navy (4/14) $10K

TJX (2/15) $10K

Macy's (3/12) $5.4K

Avenue (7/13) $3300

Lane Bryant (7/13) $3150

Kohl's ( 7/13) $3K

Total lines $411,800

Average limit $13,636

Average age of accounts: 3.7 years

Not included above:

Chase Ink Plus - $5K

The last post in this topic was posted 1188 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.