Time debt can be reported?

muntja

The last post in this topic was posted 2551 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Maybe a simple question, but i found a list of the statue of limitations that a debt can be sued for;

where i live, wisconsin, it's 6 years;

that means debt that is older than 6 years I cannot be sued in court for; cool, i've been sued already for whatever and have nothing left unpaid;

but that said - is there a list, or is it the same thing, where reporting is and how long it can be?

for example, I know a bankruptcy can only be reported on credit reports for 7 or 10 years depending on the type of bankrupty.

but what about a charged off credit card?

is that across the board the same for everyone, say 7 years, or is it possible that if in wisconsin it is only 6 years and therefore i can request old charge offs removed that are older than 6 years?

Other than BK, they can be reported for up to 7.5 years from DOFD. The CRAs usually use 7 years though, and you can start getting them deleted with obsolete disputes around the 6.5 year mark.

The only exception to this that I know of is in NY where paid collections can only stay on your reports for 5 years.

Wisconsin has a statute of repose. A debt collector cannot legally sue to collect a debt;moreover, they have to stop regular collections once the statute passes . Mississippi and Wisconsin are the only states that have a statute of repose.

i haven't found anything like this, do you have any documentation or links for something like this? late now and off subject sort of what i was asking about, but very interesting to hear this if true...?

Wisconsin has a statute of repose. A debt collector cannot legally sue to collect a debt;moreover, they have to stop regular collections once the statute passes . Mississippi and Wisconsin are the only states that have a statute of repose.

i haven't found anything like this, do you have any documentation or links for something like this? late now and off subject sort of what i was asking about, but very interesting to hear this if true...?

You need to look in the state statutes that govern collection activities to find it.

The last post in this topic was posted 2551 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.