Remove Eviction Filing

LELE

The last post in this topic was posted 3319 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'm not sure where to post this. I am currently in the process of moving and just found out today that I have an eviction filing on my credit report. The last credit report I pulled was back in November 2014 and there were no eviction filings on those reports. I am stopping by the leasing office tomorrow to obtain a copy of the adverse action. The eviction notice was served to me back in 2010 by landlord due to a misunderstanding and I am currently still living in the same apartment. The case was withdrawn and I have an email from the landlord stating that the case was withdrawn, I also logged onto to the Municipal Court website tonight as well and on their site it states that the case has been withdrawn without prejudice. The problem now is the eviction filing is on my rental history report. This filing is being held against me by future possible landlords. Is this legal? Can an eviction filing be used against you? If so what methods would you suggest trying to remove it? Can I get the public records sealed?

What state? Best bet is to get the records sealed. The defendant and the plaintiff are required to do this. After it is sealed it should be easy to dispute off. The system sucks!!!

Are you in a big city? Many larger city courthouses offer free legal assistance in filling out forms and things of that nature.

BTW I am a tenant organizer in Chicago. I should update my signature I suppose.

Edited by pwd847

What state? Best bet is to get the records sealed. The defendant and the plaintiff are required to do this. After it is sealed it should be easy to dispute off. The system sucks!!!

Are you in a big city? Many larger city courthouses offer free legal assistance in filling out forms and things of that nature.

Are you organizing them so they can buy their own homes?

I'm not sure where to post this. I am currently in the process of moving and just found out today that I have an eviction filing on my credit report. The last credit report I pulled was back in November 2014 and there were no eviction filings on those reports. I am stopping by the leasing office tomorrow to obtain a copy of the adverse action. The eviction notice was served to me back in 2010 by landlord due to a misunderstanding and I am currently still living in the same apartment. The case was withdrawn and I have an email from the landlord stating that the case was withdrawn, I also logged onto to the Municipal Court website tonight as well and on their site it states that the case has been withdrawn without prejudice. The problem now is the eviction filing is on my rental history report. This filing is being held against me by future possible landlords. Is this legal? Can an eviction filing be used against you? If so what methods would you suggest trying to remove it? Can I get the public records sealed?

Possible to get a letter from your current landlord as to their mistake? explain the situation to them regarding the rental history report.

if you're relocated because of a job, they shouldn't have any problem with sending that to the new landlord you're trying to rent from .

& It all depends if the rental history report was picked up by that reporting agency by examining the court records, or whether your current landlord reported it.

if your current landlord reported it, they should contact that agency and delete it.

Nope. We organize to raise the quality of living conditions, keep affordable housing in gentrifying neighborhoods, and being aware of their rights as a tenant in Chicago.

Kind of like the SOL law. It doesn't prevent a suit from being filed. You have to show up and use it as a defense. People are uneducated about this stuff.

Possible to get a letter from your current landlord as to their mistake? explain the situation to them regarding the rental history report.

if your current landlord reported it, they should contact that agency and delete it.

The first suggestion is worth a try. Don't get your hopes up though.

The second comment is not very probable.

Also I forgot to mention that this kind of discrimination is very legal. Sucks doesn't it?

Also I forgot to mention that this kind of discrimination is very legal. Sucks doesn't it?

if they unjustly filed that eviction thru a error that They made, and withdrew it, but then reported it as a derogatory information,

you have the makings of a FCRA lawsuit.

Rental history reports do fall under the FCRA.

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=500241

was this Corelogic?

Nope. We organize to raise the quality of living conditions, keep affordable housing in gentrifying neighborhoods, and being aware of their rights as a tenant in Chicago.

Kind of like the SOL law. It doesn't prevent a suit from being filed. You have to show up and use it as a defense. People are uneducated about this stuff.

That was a rhetorical question.

if they unjustly filed that eviction thru a error that They made, and withdrew it, but then reported it as a derogatory information,

you have the makings of a FCRA lawsuit.

Rental history reports do fall under the FCRA.

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=500241

was this Corelogic?

This is where the legal loophole lies. An eviction filing is not derogatory information. The derogatory information would be listing of an actual eviction. There is nothing wrong with starting the eviction process.

Here is an example: I could go to Fairbanks, AK and file suit against defendant A claiming the defendant owes me $1,000,000 for stealing $1,000,000 worth of pennies and nickels from my piggy bank. The suit would be filed and as long as the defendant follows the rules of the court the defendant will win because I completely made up the lawsuit. There will be no judgment, HOWEVER, the filing will still be on record.

Criminal information has certain restrictions on it as far as holding it against someone. If you are charged with larceny and found not guilty that cannot be held against you because of the fact that it is a criminal case. Civil cases do not have the same protections.

Even though an eviction filing is not technically derogatory, companies still interpret them as such. Simaliar to my recently deleted ChexSystems entry. US Bank had an entry on my ChexSystems report as "Items/checks from another party". This does not contain the word fraud in it because If US Bank claimed fraud I could dispute it off because they could not PROVE I had commited fraud. HOWEVER, whenever another institution that I was applying at saw the entry they would interpret the entry as fraud. Even the computer printout of my application would say denied for possible fraud. It is not illegal for companies to interpret things one way or another in most cases.

That was a rhetorical question.

I suspected as much but wasn't sure. I have brought this up before with my group and I guess not everyone wants to own.

Edited by pwd847

The last post in this topic was posted 3319 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.