Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

AmEx Blue Cash Preferred vs EveryDay Preferred

Looking to add an AmEx for groceries and gas. On supermarket purchases, the BCP offers a cash back of 6 cents on the dollar, while the EDP offers 3 points per dollar. Do the AmEx points have a cash value of at least 2 cents a point, or is the BCP the obvious winner in this comparison?

BCP.

I don't care for the ED (not that ED :lol: ) because it encourages spending to get the full benefit of the card. With the BCP you still get the cash back on any number of purchases instead of having to use the card 20 times to get the points bonus on the ED.

The BCP is a cash cow compared to the AF it costs you. My most used card.

I'm interested in the ED, because it doesn't have an annual fee. So I can keep it if I want to and have it help with AAOA etc. But another question since I'm here: If I get a Platinum for example, with 100,000 points, and then I want to cancel the Platinum. If I had the ED card, I can use that card to transfer or keep those points, or do I need a different card?

I'm interested in the ED, because it doesn't have an annual fee. So I can keep it if I want to and have it help with AAOA etc. But another question since I'm here: If I get a Platinum for example, with 100,000 points, and then I want to cancel the Platinum. If I had the ED card, I can use that card to transfer or keep those points, or do I need a different card?

I'm pretty sure you could. I would keep the Plat the whole year to take advantage of the benefits and then close or downgrade.

EDP

Both have a $6K cap on groceries.

The EDP is 4.5 groceries, 3x gas and 1.5 everything else if you use it 30 times per month.

The maximum cash back in the grocery cap for the BCP is $285 after the AF.

The EDP gives you 27K MR points on $6K of groceries, and I value that at more than $285 after the AF is deducted.

You can always split up purchases to hit 30 transactions.

Edited by mendelssohn

Value is not fixed with points.

As an example, KLM, a transfer partner of Amex MR, frequently has 25K round trip economy specials to Europe. That's worth more than $285.

You can use 40K BA Avios to fly business class on Air Berlin from NYC to Berlin. During the off season right now, that's $2852. That puts the value of those 27K MR points at $1925. There's still a 40% transfer bonus to BA so 27K would become 37.8K. That brings the value up to $2128, almost 10 cents per point.

Those are just 2 examples.

Edited by mendelssohn

Ok I see. I'm new to everything, and still trying to get a grasp of how these credit card point systems work. Right now, I have a Mileageplus card and I fly United when I do (usually). That's a terrible card and the miles I've earned are stuck with that card I believe. And so I am very much interested in AMEX and how their points can work out into miles for me etc. I don't have to fly United. Sure, I prefer the ease of flying direct, but if I can get flights for much cheaper, I'd use an Amex partner airline, and do multiple stops etc. So thanks for that breakdown. I guess I sort of have to just keep on learning and experimenting until I figure this out.

Ok I see. I'm new to everything, and still trying to get a grasp of how these credit card point systems work. Right now, I have a Mileageplus card and I fly United when I do (usually). That's a terrible card and the miles I've earned are stuck with that card I believe. And so I am very much interested in AMEX and how their points can work out into miles for me etc. I don't have to fly United. Sure, I prefer the ease of flying direct, but if I can get flights for much cheaper, I'd use an Amex partner airline, and do multiple stops etc. So thanks for that breakdown. I guess I sort of have to just keep on learning and experimenting until I figure this out.

The Everyday Preferred would be a good grocery and gas card and you could also earn Chase UR points with a CSP/Freedom combo. United is a transfer partner of UR.

The credit world can be wild and sudden changes can change everything. I just got D*. What does this mean for me? It means that I can cancel my Mileageplus card and not have to worry about how that cancellation will hurt my AAOA. The Mileageplus card was one of my oldest cards, and that's why I was keeping it open. But now, I'm going to cancel it, and get a CSP/Freedom combo. But I do want to slowly transition out of the Chase world etc, so that's why I want to learn about the Amex point system as much as possible etc.

Yeah, as mendel mentioned, it's all in how you redeem points/miles. If you travel a lot the MR points on the everyday may be a better card. If you don't travel much, cash back might be up your alley. Just remember when you reach $6k in spending on the grocery cat, the benefits drop.

If the ED card is your go to everyday card, and you travel, it will get you more benefit than the BCP. And if that's the case get the EDP over the no AF card.

I was looking at these two cards as well. It depends on if you want cash back or points/miles.

Warehouse clubs are not consider groceries (Costco/Sams).

Here is a good review of EDP -

http://milecards.com/1588417349/a-30000-point-amex-everyday-preferred-offer-targeted-to-some/

from the blog:

The EveryDay Preferred is the most powerful card for earning Membership Rewards points.

That’s because of a double combo of big category bonuses and a special kicker when you use your card 30 or more times in a month.

That gives you a 50% bonus on everything you earn that month, including bonused spend.

The category bonuses are:

• 3x points on supermarket spending (up to $6,000 a year)
  • 2x points on gas stations
  • 1x points on everything else

So with the 50% bonus for 30 or more transactions in a month you can earn 4.5x on supermarkets and 3x on gas, along with 1.5x on everything else. There are no limits to this other than a cap of $6,000 per year in bonused spend in the supermarket category.

It’s not hard to average more than 2x points on average for all your spending with this card.

For example, a family spending $2,000 a month with $200 in gas and $500 in groceries can earn 57,600 points a year, or 2.4x points per dollar if the card is used 30 times each month. You can check for yourself using our calculator. And that’s before the 30,000 point sign on bonus, so you could earn over 85,000 points in your first year.

It means that I can cancel my Mileageplus card and not have to worry about how that cancellation will hurt my AAOA.

AAOA isn't immediately impacted by closure.

that's why I want to learn about the Amex point system as much as possible etc.

Look at their transfer partners and see if you can make use of them.

Edited by takeshi

AMEX Everyday Preferred has a 30,000 point offer after $2K spend in 3 months. The offer didn't come up for me on CardMatch (I'm probably on the blacklist since I burned them about 7 years ago) but luckily I'm married and know the SSN by heart. There were a few offers including this one:

• 30k Points after spending $2k in 3 months
  • $95 Annual Fee NOT Waived
  • Triple points on groceries, double points on gas
  • 50% bonus on points if you have more than 30 transactions in a billing cycle
Edited by creditrecovery

<p>

AMEX Everyday Preferred has a 30,000 point offer after $2K spend in 3 months. The offer didn't come up for me on CardMatch (I'm probably on the blacklist since I burned them about 7 years ago) but luckily I'm married and know the SSN by heart. There were a few offers including this one:

• 30k Points after spending $2k in 3 months
  • $95 Annual Fee NOT Waived
  • Triple points on groceries, double points on gas
  • 50% bonus on points if you have more than 30 transactions in a billing cycle
The infamous cardmatch offers that never come up for any of us. :angry: Edited by mendelssohn

Huh, I had 3 new Chase cards come up today - Slate, Freedom and CSP. And EX is still frozen.... :huh::wacko:

Still NO Amexes. :angry:

I'd rather have EDP, than BCP. I think I may change that someday.

Get the EDP. Meet the spend bonus. Sock drawer it. Pull it out a couple months before the anniversary. Make it a daily spender, MS your grocery bonus to max it out, and then call retention for an AF waiver.

4 hours ago, cv91915 said:

Boes BCP pay 6% on groceries when used with Apple Pay?

A purchase may not receive a higher percentage reward if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.

"...may not..."

On 7/30/2019 at 2:21 PM, cv91915 said:

Does BCP pay 6% on groceries when used with Apple Pay?

On 7/30/2019 at 6:14 PM, cv91915 said:

A purchase may not receive a higher percentage reward if the merchant submits the purchase using a mobile or wireless card reader or if you use a mobile or digital wallet.

"...may not..."

Answer:  Yes.

yvGlUD4.png

IgGN4CM.png