New & would be grateful for direction on 2 CO ruining my life...

jasmom

The last post in this topic was posted 3308 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello and thank you in advance for any assistance!

I am new here & can be a bit long winded so I pray you forgive me. I am at a point where this wreckage is just absurd and as a grown woman I am ashamed. Though in my defense it occurred during a time when I had lost both my parents to cancer, my brother to an overdose, my grandmother to well, being old & my only child began suffering from severe depression. Plus I battled cancer and an insurance company who didn't want to pay up. I finally beat cancer and Anthem, but believe it or not this was just too much for me to face at the time. Go figure!

Here is the back story. I have 2 CO with a DOFD of 7/2010 on both. I live in California so the SOL has run out on the pair, correct? Mid 2017 is when they are set to drop off my reports if I sit here FROZEN like frightened child I would assume? TU reports last payment made as 1/2011 on both as well. Sounds about right. They are:

Cap1 with EX showing a WO of 897.00. EQ shows $987.00 as high bal and TU shows $934.00 as original CO amount. What the H it factually is, I do not know. Don't have last statement. The CA that bought it is Portfolio Recovery Associates. From what I gather they are world class (insert cuss word here) and not prone to reason or charitable acts. They say I owe $1042.00 for this debt. Both OC and CA appear on all three CRA reports so to my untrained eye it looks as if I have more than one derog Cap1 account. Especially with all the discrepancies in the $ owed.

Shell CO sold to National Credit Adjusters. EX & TU show balance of $1378.00. Does not show on EQ. The OC of Shell was deleted from my report last year after I disputed the amount. Once again no solid records on my end. Feel free to chastise.

Here is the kicker. In 2011 I have notes in my old check register with large payments that should have put them close to zero even on these stated balances. So last year I disputed with all 3 CRA's, stated that I had made these large payments to the OC and the above came back 'Verified", however the OC of Shell deleted but not the CA owned by NCA. Perhaps should have approached it differently, but didnt know about you all then.

So I am willing to pay what I owe. But I REALLY want to get this stuff removed. If I gathered the gist of this thing perhaps I should send a DV to the CA? What about the CRA? Then perhaps shoot for a PFD on the two collections and a GW letter to Cap1? Or am I totally off base? I am sure you can tell I completely over think everything & I am beyond stuck!

Help, please.

Welcome to Credit Boards.

I believe California is a 4-year SOL for credit cards, so you would be out of SOL if that is true.

Do you have your official mailed paper reports from EQ, EX, and TU?

If not, you should order these first before disputing.

I'm sure others with more experience will chime in.

But here's some ideas you can start reading about before you attack these negatives.

You are on the right track with sending DV letters to CAs.

Look up the 1-2 punch on this site.

This is where you DV, and then upon delivery of that letter to the CA, you dispute with the CRAs.

It is a good thing that Shell (the OC) is gone.

CAs are much easier to get rid of than OCs.

From what I've read, Cap1 will be probably very hard to get deleted.

Good luck!

Wait for other responses before doing anything.

Hi Jasmom, Condolences for your family and your personal haelth issues... at least you beat the big C. :good: All of your old accounts are past the SOL to file a lawsuit to collect a debt. There is no obligation to pay these old debts and you shouldn't because once they are paid it will negatively affect your credit score. Having old debts pass the state statute of limitations is the perfect time to dispute them off your reports.

Sandscrit is absolutely right, you do NOT have to pay them.

In addition to the 1-2 punch, you may also want to read up on:

1) "Jack Attack"

This is where you dispute multiple errors in the reporting of the collection tradelines.

It is much better than disputing as "not mine" with the CRAs.

2) Limited Cease and Desist (C&D)

If the CAs are calling and harassing you, you can included a limited C&D in your DV letter that will stop the phone calls.

Make them respond only by mail.

When you are ready to dispute, please post back to this thread with any questions, or for advice on your DV letters or CRA dispute letters.

Sandscrit is absolutely right, you do NOT have to pay them.

In addition to the 1-2 punch, you may also want to read up on:

1) "Jack Attack"

This is where you dispute multiple errors in the reporting of the collection tradelines.

It is much better than disputing as "not mine" with the CRAs.

2) Limited Cease and Desist (C&D)

If the CAs are calling and harassing you, you can included a limited C&D in your DV letter that will stop the phone calls.

Make them respond only by mail.

When you are ready to dispute, please post back to this thread with any questions, or for advice on your DV letters or CRA dispute letters.

+1.

Hello again! So I do have hard copies from all 3 CRA's, but since they are marked up beyond belief I ordered new ones. I will make appropriate copies to keep and work with.

These fresh copies will reflect the 2 bogus accounts I had on my reports. One was a walk in clinic and the other a cell phone not in my name (WTH?). I managed to get these removed with a "Not Mine" letter I found on another forum followed up with a modified version of a Nutcase letter from PsychDoc (read them all, really good stuff). I know it may have been a bit impulsive & cavalier to use a nutcase letter, me being a novice and all. But after trying to reason with the utter lack of everything that separates us from single cell life I chose to go big and be done with them. So i got that out of my system and now i am ready to get things done.

I have done some reading on 1-2 punch as well as the Jack Attack. I understand the concept and it sounds like an effective strategy for sure. I do have quite a few small discrepancies on all my reports that can be addressed as well ie: phone #'s off by a digit and variations of old addresses.

What would be a good first letter to put out? suggestions? Much appreciated:)

I do have quite a few small discrepancies on all my reports that can be addressed as well ie: phone #'s off by a digit and variations of old addresses.

Are your negatives from a previous address?

If so, you may want to dispute old addresses (and name variations, phone numbers, personal info) first - before attacking the negatives.

TU and EQ are easy.

For EX, read the Master EX Address thread.

If your paper reports are recent, you can use those report numbers.

I opened the accounts under my current address. Lived here for years but want to move in the near future which is part of my motivation to get on this.

Should I dispute the old addresses on my reports? Or just incorrect ones? Same with SS# variations and other info? Can you suggest a Letter I can use for this purpose? I have stamps and am ready to go!

Also, can someone explain 'freezing' my reports? Should I? any opinions?

Thanks!

- Freezing your reports is not necessary now.

This is mostly useful when applying for new credit.

- Are you definitely moving in the very near future?

If so, you may want to wait until your new address is updated.

Then you can dispute your current address away.

Do not use USPS forwarding.

Instead, manually update your address with each positive account you have, and change your driver's license.

Some people go so far as to rent a mailbox (UPS store, etc.)

And change their addresses to that (using APT # boxnum) - including their driver's license.

But this is your call if you want to take it that far.

- If your move is not certain, you can go ahead and dispute personal info now.

I would remove all non-current information, including correct old addresses and old phone numbers.

Definitely get rid of SSN variations.

Disputing by mail is almost always recommended, and is fine for this as well - just a simple letter listing all the disputed personal information.

But addresses / personal info is one exception where you can dispute by phone.

EQ and TU are easy.

Just do NOT agree to receive dispute results by email - insist that they mail results to you.

EX will refuse to delete any address tied to a negative tradeline.

Search for the EX master address thread for a possible solution.

Move is a not in stone and I want to take action so will go ahead and dispute in writing today!

Will also search EX master address thread as suggest:)

Will hold off on the freeze. Been reading up on credit pulls and the effect and it is a bit over my head at the moment. At least the whole method of calculation. Not my wheelhouse...

nothing to the CA yet though?

I would suggest disputing all non-current addresses and personal info first, and waiting for those to be complete.

It's good to get this cleaned up first - even though your negatives are from your current address.

When those disputes are closed, start on the two JDBs.

While you are waiting for the address disputes, you can work on your letters for the JBD DVs and CRA disputes.

I'm sure people here will help you and provide feedback.

I would suggest disputing all non-current addresses and personal info first, and waiting for those to be complete.

It's good to get this cleaned up first - even though your negatives are from your current address.

When those disputes are closed, start on the two JDBs.

While you are waiting for the address disputes, you can work on your letters for the JBD DVs and CRA disputes.

I'm sure people here will help you and provide feedback.

Thank you! I cant tell you how grateful I am for the imparting of knowledge...

I just noticed my reports have the first 5 digits of my ss# redacted. For purposes of potential dispute I should request versions that are not redacted, correct? I went to Eq site and they have an option to request a file where the entire # is not "masked in the disclosure".

Should order this for all three, yes?

I don't think it matters if the SSN is redacted.

If you are disputing variations of SSN by mail, you can include a copy of your SS card.

My wife just successfully disputed a bunch of personal data on her reports by mail.

She sent them copies of her reports with the disputed info circled, and copy of SS card, drivers license, and utility bill (for current address).

I don't think this is always necessary, but the SS card is probably relevant in your case.

I just wanted to chime in and wish you luck :)

I'm just starting the process myself.

Wanted to mention, I was actually able to get about 25 different addresses/variations off of Experian by following what was recommended in that Master Thread for disputing addresses off Exeprian. It really worked.

Again, good luck!! The people here are awesome and have a wealth of knowledge on all of this!!

Thanks for the words of encouragement!

I dont know about anybody else, but I am always so afraid to make the wrong move so it really helps to hear everyone share their own experience! :good:

Good luck on your journey as well! Sounds like you are of to a great start! This forum and others like it are lifesavers for sure. Doing Gods work as far as I am concerned. This is something that has the potential to change our lives for the better and create a better future for this Newbie!

Please keep me apprised of your progress!!!

Just cross checked my account open dates with the date I moved to my current house and low and behold I DID open them at my OLD address. Is this a game changer on disputing these 2 CO that are past SOL that I have left on my three reports?

I have letters set to mail to all 3 CRA requesting the deletion of incorrect information on my file ie: ss#, address, name variations, etc.

I also double checked that my current open CC was NOT reporting under an address that I am going to dispute. Any thing else I should give my attention to on this?

All weigh ins are welcome and greatly appreciated :)

It certainly may help if your negatives are from a previous address.

The important thing is did they last report at your previous address.

I think you are good to go with the address / personal info disputes.

EQ and TU will be easy and quick. EX will push back on addresses tied to negative TLs.

Wait to receive the mailed results of these disputes before starting with attacks on the JDBs.

In the meantime, you can study the JDB tradelines for reporting errors/inconsistencies, and start working on jack attack letters for the CRAs.

You can also read up on the 1-2 punch, and prepare DV letters for the JDBs. You can include a limited C&D in each letter to stop them from calling you.

I think you'll have good luck with National Credit Adjusters, because the OC is no longer reporting.

A lot of people have dealt with PRA. You can search the forums to learn from others' experiences.

I'm sure people will help if you have questions while preparing these letters. Short and sweet is usually best.

You're doing great.

Good luck!

The last post in this topic was posted 3308 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.