ANFI CA Reporting as if I Paid them. Please Advise

HouseBound0829

The last post in this topic was posted 3319 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello Fellow CBers,

So, Back in Nov. 2014, AFNI slapped a CA account on my all three CRs for about 400.00 from an old Uverse account we had. I Immediately disputed and it came back verified on EX only. I called ATT directly and tried to pay them. No dice. They gave me AFNIs number and told me to deal with them. I STUPIDLY called AFNI and offered a PFD. They refused and were quite rude. Learned my lesson. A little time went by, and I tried to pay ATT directly again. This time, I went through the automated system. It took my payment. I checked my Credit Card statement and ATT is on it NOT AFNI. I was kind of marinating on how to handle this, and noticed today that Lo and behold these sons of witches (AFNI) have reported the account as if I paid them. I did NOT. I paid ATT according to my CC statement AND conformation number. It also shows as paid in Jan. 2015 and I paid ATT in Dec 2014. I am thinking I should dispute with EX again, sending my proof of payment (CC statement) and conformation number from ATT. What do y'all think?

I paid ATT in Dec 2014. I am thinking I should dispute with EX again, sending my proof of payment (CC statement) and conformation number from ATT. What do y'all think?

I would be concerned that this might cement the collection to your EX report

even though you paid the OC and not the CA.

Hopefully others will chime in with more advice.

File a complaint with the CFPB online. I had a similar problem with another debt collector, they showed I made payments but I never did. I filed the complaint and received a response in about 20 days that they had removed it from my credit reports and would close the file.

File a complaint with the CFPB online. I had a similar problem with another debt collector, they showed I made payments but I never did. I filed the complaint and received a response in about 20 days that they had removed it from my credit reports and would close the file.

;I had just the opposite happen. The CA said it didnt matter that I paid OC, that the account was paid and reporting as such. CFPB accepted that response. I ended up going back to the OC and asking them to intercede and have the account removed, and they agreed.

;I had just the opposite happen. The CA said it didnt matter that I paid OC, that the account was paid and reporting as such. CFPB accepted that response. I ended up going back to the OC and asking them to intercede and have the account removed, and they agreed.

I think this might be the best strategy. Send a letter to the OC and plead ignorance about the collection. Tell them you paid them directly, you want to maintain a good relationship with them going forward, and ask them to retrieve the collection from the CA. They have the authority to do this and they actually are the ones who "messed up" since they technically no longer owned the debt if they sold it to a CA or JDB. The CA will listen to them since they provide them with all their business.

I think this might be the best strategy. Send a letter to the OC and plead ignorance about the collection. Tell them you paid them directly, you want to maintain a good relationship with them going forward, and ask them to retrieve the collection from the CA. They have the authority to do this and they actually are the ones who "messed up" since they technically no longer owned the debt if they sold it to a CA or JDB. The CA will listen to them since they provide them with all their business.

They didn't mess up if their contract with the CA they sold the debt to provides that the OC transfer the entire payment to the CA in the event a payment is processed subsequent to the debt sale. This sometimes happens when a payment is in the mail and received right after the debt has been sold. They cash the check but provision has to be made to either have the debt recalled or the payment forwarded to the CA. There may be a short time limit on any such provision that if exceeded, indicates the OC improperly accepted a payment to a debt they didn't own. Interesting topic. It would be good if people from the debt industry chime in on what the standard contracts provide.

The last post in this topic was posted 3319 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.