Should I CLI NFCU now or later?

prosper711

The last post in this topic was posted 2931 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

My fico is 620 EQ, no lates in the last 6 1/2 years. Old bad things dropping off monthly, will be clean in 6 months. I could really use a little more credit right now. I'll have a chunk of money in a couple of months, and will pay off ALL my credit cards down to zero. Had the Cash rewards since March 2014, started at 700, in Aug went to 2500. Go rewards had since April 2014, 500 limit.

The big problem is that ALL my credit is close to 100% utilization. Would there be any chance of getting an increase now, or should I just wait until I can pay everything off and then ask?

I know this isn't what you want to hear, and it may seem harsh. But you may want to look into your plans with credit.

If those two cards, with those limits are near 100% util, and they are tough to keep up with payment wise.

And you state you could "really use" more credit, that is not the right approach. Granting more credit will likely get you in deeper than you may be capable of digging out of.

I am honestly not trying to judge you. Navy is so generous that they can sometimes grant more credit than one can handle. BE CAREFUL.

ETA: Navy has been known to grant CLIs if speaking with them directly, even if they wont grant one automatically or after a regular request. If this is something you REALLY need, they will help you.

Edited by JayB27

I know this isn't what you want to hear, and it may seem harsh. But you may want to look into your plans with credit.

If those two cards, with those limits are near 100% util, and they are tough to keep up with payment wise.

And you state you could "really use" more credit, that is not the right approach. Granting more credit will likely get you in deeper than you may be capable of digging out of.

I am honestly not trying to judge you. Navy is so generous that they can sometimes grant more credit than one can handle. BE CAREFUL.

ETA: Navy has been known to grant CLIs if speaking with them directly, even if they wont grant one automatically or after a regular request. If this is something you REALLY need, they will help you.

I do hear what you are saying and it is valid. The thing for me is, my income can be very erratic-I will get large chunks sometimes and slimmer pickings other times. If I saved more during good times, things would flow easier, but at the same time having more credit available would also smooth out these times. I have total credit avail of only about 5k, if I had 10k I could use more credit without being at full util when things are tight. Does this make sense?

All in all though my goal during this next period of prosperity is to put enough away that I do not carry ANY balances, and have the avail credit for a true emergency.

if you are hell bent on applying for it...

apply for 25k and if not instantly approved or countered send a secure message to cancel the request I have avoided hp's every time doing this

100% of my CLIs with Navy online have been softs.

Still, there's no guarantee. Either freeze EQ or you can call in to cancel per Mr. Juggalo's suggestion.

if you are hell bent on applying for it...

apply for 25k and if not instantly approved or countered send a secure message to cancel the request I have avoided hp's every time doing this

100% of my CLIs with Navy online have been softs.

Still, there's no guarantee. Either freeze EQ or you can call in to cancel per Mr. Juggalo's suggestion.

To further enhance your chances of soft pull CLI with NFCU try initiating a CLI after a quarterly (AR) account review.

Edited by credithunting

To further enhance your chances of soft pull CLI with NFCU try initiating a CLI after a quarterly (AR) account review.

I think I will try this in a week or two. I just received and auto CLI about 2 weeks ago from NFCU. From 15 to 17,500.

I don't know if I should hit the luv button or go for the Flagship first. I just want to make sure my debts are gone first.

How much should I request through the luv button? 25k max?

I think I will try this in a week or two. I just received and auto CLI about 2 weeks ago from NFCU. From 15 to 17,500.

I don't know if I should hit the luv button or go for the Flagship first. I just want to make sure my debts are gone first.

How much should I request through the luv button? 25k max?

Go for $25k. They counter.

Might want to wait a while, though. Two weeks might be pushing it. I've always waited 3 months and gone up gradually and had each card at $25k within a year. If I had it to do over again I would have gone straight for the jugular.

Anything over 25k is reportedly a manual review.

that's what I thought..

so if I have that flagship and really want to get that 75-80k limit...

best bet would be to have 3 accounts and combine.

Really, the manual review is not that bad. It's very unlikely you'll receive 2 cards with 25K limits w/o the manual review.

that's what I thought..

Really, the manual review is not that bad. It's very unlikely you'll receive 2 cards with 25K limits w/o the manual review.

That's why I'm sticking with my 1 card strategy.

If you're honest about your income, a manual review my help you now and with future CLIs. I don't want to sacrifice AAOA for something that won't give me a decent signup bonus.

that's what I thought..

That's why I'm sticking with my 1 card strategy.

If you're honest about your income, a manual review my help you now and with future CLIs. I don't want to sacrifice AAOA for something that won't give me a decent signup bonus.

One card, 80K limit. No need for multiple cards with CU's. They are not the same as the big boy banks re: max limits...

that's what I thought..

Probably worst case scenario is they ask for proof of income.

I have three $25k cards from Navy and never manual review.

that's what I thought..

Why is that a worst case scenario?

I welcome providing POI to lenders, much larger lines can be gained...

Edited by TrevorHere

that's what I thought..

I mean that the worst they will do is ask for POI. In some cases they won't even ask and just approve your request.

I don't sweat POI. With Navy, though, POI or not, their max is $80k.

that's what I thought..

I mean that the worst they will do is ask for POI. In some cases they won't even ask and just approve your request.

$80K on 1 card is better than $80K on 3 cards.

that's what I thought..

$80K on 1 card is better than $80K on 3 cards.

No, not always.

An $80k limit on Flagship doesn't get me a $25k 0% BT on nRewards.

Even if they offered a promotional BT offer on, say, Flagship, once you have a BT on a Navy card that card should be dead to purchases.

The last post in this topic was posted 2931 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.