The Master Retention Strategy for AF Card Thread

Konrad2012

The last post in this topic was posted 2208 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I'm three hours away from closing my Chase Hyatt. Any intel on possible retention offers?

Try to get whatever you can.

Don't cancel the card unless of course you are trying to reset the churn period again.

Free Category 4 night every year for the AF outweighs it.

It only outweighs it if you can use it.

I'd personally rather just use UR points for stays at Hyatt. I have no use for the certificate or another AF card that I don't need.

CV does a tremendous amount of traveling yearly and I would be shocked if he didn't have any type of use for it.

And if you're not a traveller, don't get this card to begin with...

I'm just saying that this is not a black and white issue. I know you like this card, but you always post about this benefit as if you MUST have this card. Maybe CV wants to stay in a category 5+ hotel. Just an example.

It's not so much about the preference. It's more about the benefit. If you're a traveller and for $75 a year you could get a $300 room (approx value) it's a no brainier.

Name me another card for such a low AF and brings you that type of value.

The IHG card offers better value for less.

If you want to stay in the "Holiday Inn" :lol:

IHG hotels are like "Choice Hotels"

You need to do your homework. IHG has top tier hotels, not just Holiday Inn.

Their are other hotels, but a big majority are Holiday Inn types..

I just did a quick search for NYC and LA and didn't find anything spectacular.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm three hours away from closing my Chase Hyatt. Any intel on possible retention offers?

Don't cancel the card unless of course you are trying to reset the churn period again.

I'd personally rather just use UR points for stays at Hyatt. I have no use for the certificate or another AF card that I don't need.

CV does a tremendous amount of traveling yearly and I would be shocked if he didn't have any type of use for it.

I'm just saying that this is not a black and white issue. I know you like this card, but you always post about this benefit as if you MUST have this card. Maybe CV wants to stay in a category 5+ hotel. Just an example.

It's not so much about the preference. It's more about the benefit. If you're a traveller and for $75 a year you could get a $300 room (approx value) it's a no brainier.

I think he was hinting more at Intercontinental Hotels, some being upwards of $1,000/night. You get to use the free night for one of those.

I think he was hinting more at Intercontinental Hotels, some being upwards of $1,000/night. You get to use the free night for one of those.

:good:

The "one free night" benefit doesn't do a lot for me.

On personal travel I almost never do single-night stays, which means I have to hotel hop in order to cover my nights with another program... or pay money for subsequent nights while I have unused points elsewhere.

I don't have many Hyatt points because I haven't spent much on the card and I don't do paid stays in Hyatts very often.

My most recent trip is an exception for one-night stays... we did one night each in Nice, France, and Milan, Italy. There are no category 1-4 properties in either city, even an airport property, which is where we stayed in Milan the night before we flew back to the US.

If you have an Ink Plus and don't want to stay in a category 1-4 hotel, you don't need the Hyatt card.

It really isn't as black and white as you make it out to be. I have no interest in this card, but will have no problems staying at Hyatt properties with my UR points.

You can't compare having another card that's earning you X amount of points so you can redeem them on a travel partner.

If you only had the Hyatt From Chase and had no UR capability, would you think differently?

I personally don't like room certificates because I don't enjoy the restrictions or room/hotel hopping.

I'm sure I'm not alone.

A 1 night certificate is generally useless to me.

The "one free night" benefit doesn't do a lot for me.

On personal travel I almost never do single-night stays, which means I have to hotel hop in order to cover my nights with another program... or pay money for subsequent nights while I have unused points elsewhere.

I don't have many Hyatt points because I haven't spent much on the card and I don't do paid stays in Hyatts very often.

My most recent trip is an exception for one-night stays... we did one night each in Nice, France, and Milan, Italy. There are no category 1-4 properties in either city, even an airport property, which is where we stayed in Milan the night before we flew back to the US.

Exactly.

I definitely see where CV and Mendelssohn are coming from, but I would also think of that free night certificate as a way to indulge on a special night like an anniversary. My wife and I are about an hour and a half from DC and we could stay somewhere like the Park Hyatt on a Saturday night (not the most expensive Hyatt out there, but luxurious accommodations right in the middle of everything). Of course something like that would appeal to some more than others, but it's certainly good compensation for the AF.

I definitely see where CV and Mendelssohn are coming from, but I would also think of that free night certificate as a way to indulge on a special night like an anniversary. My wife and I are about an hour and a half from DC and we could stay somewhere like the Park Hyatt on a Saturday night (not the most expensive Hyatt out there, but luxurious accommodations right in the middle of everything). Of course something like that would appeal to some more than others, but it's certainly good compensation for the AF.

The Park Hyatt in DC is a category 5 property.

I do get your point, though. If you are prone to one-night stays you can get some value.

I just looked on Hotel Tonight for a room in DC tomorrow night, and there are a couple of cool Kimpton Hotels for $99. I would rather do that than pay $75 for a speculative night and then have to be locked into one chain for my options.

I get that not everyone looks at things the same way. The certificate is clearly a benefit that many people enjoy and value... it just doesn't do very much for me.

I do get your point, though. If you are prone to one-night stays you can get some value.

I just looked on Hotel Tonight for a room in DC tomorrow night, and there are a couple of cool Kimpton Hotels for $99. I would rather do that than pay $75 for a speculative night and then have to be locked into one chain for my options.

I get that not everyone looks at things the same way. The certificate is clearly a benefit that many people enjoy and value... it just doesn't do very much for me.

I totally agree. That's why the Hyatt CC would never be a keeper for me.

I can transfer UR points whenever I want for however many nights I want for whichever category hotel I want for however many rooms I want for however many people I want.

I realize that the sentence above is ridiculous, but it illustrates my point.

Edited by mendelssohn

I totally agree. That's why the Hyatt CC would never be a keeper for me.

I can transfer UR points whenever I want for however many nights I want for whichever category hotel I want for however many rooms I want for however many people I want.

I realize that the sentence above is ridiculous, but it illustrates my point.

Speaking as someone who just booked two rooms for two nights at a place called Four Queens, I sort of get your point.

I know, and DC is not the best example. The free night would have to be used in the right place, just like airline miles. A 40,000 reward flight to Dublin isn't worth the same as a 40,000 reward flight to Munich or Salzburg.

BTW, I didn't realize the Hyatt card limited you to Cat 4 or lower for the free annual night. IMO that makes the IHG card clearly the better bargain as you can stay at any hotel in the portfolio, and the AF is even a little cheaper at $49.

I know, and DC is not the best example. The free night would have to be used in the right place, just like airline miles. A 40,000 reward flight to Dublin isn't worth the same as a 40,000 reward flight to Munich or Salzburg.

BTW, I didn't realize the Hyatt card limited you to Cat 4 or lower for the free annual night. IMO that makes the IHG card clearly the better bargain as you can stay at any hotel in the portfolio, and the AF is even a little cheaper at $49.

The signup bonus is two certificates without those restrictions. We used our two at the Andaz in Amsterdam a couple of weeks ago, which was great (although we still had to hotel hop to use my Carlson points for two nights at the Art'Otel).

If the signup bonus on the Hyatt card is the same in 24 months when I'm next eligible, I'll do it all over again. That was very much worth it.

Edited by cv91915

A Kimpton for $99 in DC? That'd be sweet.

I stayed 5 nights at the Hotel Monaco in Portland in 2007 when things were melting down. Priceline for $60/night. And they put me in a huge room on the top floor. Loved it.

A Kimpton for $99 in DC? That'd be sweet.

I stayed 5 nights at the Hotel Monaco in Portland in 2007 when things were melting down. Priceline for $60/night. And they put me in a huge room on the top floor. Loved it.

I misspoke. There are three Kimptons showing up for tomorrow night ($95, $99 and $125).

I think the exception to the rule of using points for a hotel is Vegas...

Always use CASH in Vegas

For $90 My friend recently got a Suite that was 600 Sq Feet and it was incredible. That room would probably go for 1K almost anywhere else...

I want to call Barclays as my Arrival Plus AF is due.

Does anyone have the retention phone number handy?

Also, does anyone have experience speaking to Barclays about this card and what they did for you

I don't think they waive the AF on that card.

Call CS.

I hope they could at least DG it to no AF version. I'll call later and update with results.
If your hope is to downgrade the card, call the backdoor number.

Can I try CS first to see if any promo and then call UW department?

Just called cs to see if any promo. Nothing, called UW to DG and no option. Looks like I'll be paying the AF since I don't want to close the card down at the 1 year mark.

Oh well...

Hahahaha...And you think you know HUCA?!?! They can PC it to a standard Arrival.

Just called cs to see if any promo. Nothing, called UW to DG and no option. Looks like I'll be paying the AF since I don't want to close the card down at the 1 year mark.

Oh well...

Hahahaha...And you think you know HUCA?!?! They can PC it to a standard Arrival.

He claims to have invented HUCA®.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    ellinas83

Important Information

Guidelines