Sign in to follow this  
Konrad2012

The Master Retention Strategy for AF Card Thread

Citi Retentions has been closed for the past few weeks supposedly because of the Costo Merger.

Does anyone know if they reopened the lines yet?

$60 statement credit on my CSP despite heavy spending.

I accepted and am going to keep the card open.

The reps have been extremely reluctant to offer any credits or retention offers to me for my CSP. I've had the card for one year with 15K spend and have paid the balance every month. The AF has posted to this month's statement. What did you say that persuaded them to offer you the credit?

Nothing. I've had it open for 2 years and go no offers last year.

Chase is nowhere near as generous as Citi and Amex when it comes to retention offers.

I think chase knows very well that big spenders can easily make the AF work and that there are not good competitors to the CSP UR scheme.

$60 statement credit on my CSP despite heavy spending.

I accepted and am going to keep the card open.

The reps have been extremely reluctant to offer any credits or retention offers to me for my CSP. I've had the card for one year with 15K spend and have paid the balance every month. The AF has posted to this month's statement. What did you say that persuaded them to offer you the credit?

Nothing. I've had it open for 2 years and go no offers last year.

Chase is nowhere near as generous as Citi and Amex when it comes to retention offers.

I think chase knows very well that big spenders can easily make the AF work and that there are not good competitors to the CSP UR scheme.

The closest competition is probably the Amex PRG and the Citi ThankYou Premier. The Citi TY Premier is the best points earning card out of the 3, but TY points are not as valuable as UR points.

I need to get a good retention offer on TD's SPG (Personal). We bought a washer and dryer with the card last year and I don't want to lose the extended warranty benefit that would terminate if we close the card.

If we don't get a retention offer, can we PC this card to something else before it's 13 months old and we've paid the second year's AF?

I think the last time I asked about an SPG DG, they offered me the Hilton

I can't imagine a contract between Starwood and Amex NOT forbidding a PC to a cobranded card of a direct competitor... If you are correct, that would be a huge miss for Starwood.

Please do let us know what happens with SPG, because the Delta Gold reports have not been positive. It would be nice if Amex did something to keep the SPG cardholders before Marriott ruins everything.

I will. The AF gets charged again in August, so we will be looking to do something next month. Feel free to bump this post to remind me to share the outcome.

Bump for CV . ..

Did I miss the August update on the SPG AF waiver attempt?

I hope Amex was not memberlicious to you.

I need to get a good retention offer on TD's SPG (Personal). We bought a washer and dryer with the card last year and I don't want to lose the extended warranty benefit that would terminate if we close the card.

If we don't get a retention offer, can we PC this card to something else before it's 13 months old and we've paid the second year's AF?

I think the last time I asked about an SPG DG, they offered me the Hilton

I can't imagine a contract between Starwood and Amex NOT forbidding a PC to a cobranded card of a direct competitor... If you are correct, that would be a huge miss for Starwood.

Please do let us know what happens with SPG, because the Delta Gold reports have not been positive. It would be nice if Amex did something to keep the SPG cardholders before Marriott ruins everything.

I will. The AF gets charged again in August, so we will be looking to do something next month. Feel free to bump this post to remind me to share the outcome.

Bump for CV . ..

Did I miss the August update on the SPG AF waiver attempt?

I hope Amex was not memberlicious to you.

Thanks for the reminder. The AF is actually going to hit next month. I've been procrastinating dealing with this.

PRG AF hit. Modest spend over the past year. $1k to $3k/mo.

No retention offer whatsoever.

HUCA?

Called for retention on AxPT.

No offer, but was given downgrade to PRG with no AF first year in addition to remainder of PT AF refunded. I'll make up for the part of the fee paid by partaking in a $100 statement credit. :)

Retention offers in the past year:

Chase United Mileage Plus Select: (this card is no longer offered. It has a $95 annual fee and awards 3X for spend with United, and 2X for gas, dining, and grocery stores plus

an award of 5K miles on each anniversary date. Offer: nothing. I kept the card due to its age (11 years) and after figuring that rewards pay for the annual fee with only

$4K spend per year.

Amex Plat: On first year anniversary, I accepted 25,000 bonus MRs to retain the card. No spending requirement. I have spent very little due to poor rewards structure but

still value the card for its perks.

Citi Prestige: On first year anniversary, I accepted an offer of 7X for spend on hotels, airlines, and travel agencies good for six months with a 35,000 pt. cap.

Citi AA gold: my oldest. $50 statement credit which offsets the $50 annual fee. Accepted,

So I emailed Citi for a refund of the $95 AF for my AA card. It was denied rudely basically telling me that I could close the card if I would like if I confirm with them. I replied back stating that I was offered a credit for $95 if I spent that much and they said no.

I then called the EO(they made a mistake on my Citi DC card) rep that I've been working with to ask for the credit and she said that they had no way to credit it and I'd have to go to retention to "try". So I figured that I had no chance and I gave up.

2 weeks later, I logged on to my account and the fee was credited back. I don't know what happened but I got my wish.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by latikeriii

So I emailed Citi for a refund of the $95 AF for my AA card. It was denied rudely basically telling me that I could close the card if I would like if I confirm with them. I replied back stating that I was offered a credit for $95 if I spent that much and they said no.

I then called the EO(they made a mistake on my Citi DC card) rep that I've been working with to ask for the credit and she said that they had no way to credit it and I'd have to go to retention to "try". So I figured that I had no chance and I gave up.

2 weeks later, I logged on to my account and the fee was credited back. I don't know what happened but I got my wish.

Call Citi. Tell them you are considering closing your AA card and ask to speak with retention.

Tell the retention rep your work has changed and you don't fly AA as much. But that you like to keep accounts open blah blah blah.

They'll probably offer you a spend bonus. 1000 miles every month you spend $1K+ on the card for 6 months or something along those lines.

Call Citi. Tell them you are considering closing your AA card and ask to speak with retention.

Tell the retention rep your work has changed and you don't fly AA as much. But that you like to keep accounts open blah blah blah.

They'll probably offer you a spend bonus. 1000 miles every month you spend $1K+ on the card for 6 months or something along those lines.

They credited me my fee back, don't know how. See my last paragraph. Weird but I'll take the refund. Card is still open too, I confirmed.

They credited me my fee back, don't know how. See my last paragraph. Weird but I'll take the refund. Card is still open too, I confirmed.

I know how to read. I was giving you the next step.

I know how to read. I was giving you the next step.

Got it, can use those extra miles too.

I'm three hours away from closing my Chase Hyatt. Any intel on possible retention offers?

Try to get whatever you can.

Don't cancel the card unless of course you are trying to reset the churn period again.

Free Category 4 night every year for the AF outweighs it.

It only outweighs it if you can use it.

I'd personally rather just use UR points for stays at Hyatt. I have no use for the certificate or another AF card that I don't need.

Selling the AN for more than the AF is always an option.

I never use retention offers but this is a great thread.

Green card (lightly used to the initial spend and a few offers)

No retention offer available .- card closed 1 day before the 13th statement.

They did offer a 5k MR bonus on $500 spend on an additional AU on the PRG card (I had one 2-3 months ago) This spend can be across all open AU cards on that PRG.

I took them up on that. Youngest son, age 20, is now on the record at AMEX. (his first revolving account) We do share an address.

Edited by mec

Sign in to follow this  

• Today's Birthdays

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    zerocat1
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines