shifter

Pay OC Instead of CA Process + Letter

I just called Experian to dispute and the person on the phone told me that because the apartment community sent it to a collection agency, the collection agency can legally report it on my credit report - even though I paid off the apartment community after they sent it to the collection agency.

Is this true?

OMG, dude. you, never, ever, ever go to the CRAs about this.

you never admit it's your account and you paid the OC.

there's a good chance you just cemented it to your reports forever.

if the CA doesn't respond appropriately to the first letter, you send an ITS letter to the CA.

and if your state has debt collection laws, hit them with those in addition to FDCPA

it's not a FCRA dispute,

it's an FDCPA + State law violation on " False credit reporting "

and no dispute thru the CRA's is required for FDCPA violations.

I just called Experian to dispute and the person on the phone told me that because the apartment community sent it to a collection agency, the collection agency can legally report it on my credit report - even though I paid off the apartment community after they sent it to the collection agency.

Is this true?

OMG, dude. you, never, ever, ever go to the CRAs about this.

you never admit it's your account and you paid the OC.

there's a good chance you just cemented it to your reports forever.

if the CA doesn't respond appropriately to the first letter, you send an ITS letter to the CA.

Well what's done is done. I called the 2 credit reporting agencies and filed a verbal verification over the phone.

If they verify it or anything of the sort, I have an attorney friend who will send them a threatening letter.

I just wanted to make sure that I am in the legal right here.....the credit reporting agency told me that if I paid the original creditor off AFTER it went to collections....the collection agency still legally owns the debt.

Not if you paid the OC directly and the OC agreed to take it back from the CA.

Unless it was really a JDB and the OC had sold the account outright

then the OC will send your payment to the JDB and it will remain on your report

Applying for home and saw old collections from Columbia gas of ohio on account for $59.00. They sent the account to Online Collections (listing as opened may 2016, even though the DFD was May 2015). 

Sent PFD to CA and didn't hear anything back so sent PFD/attempted to negotiate w/ OC but now my tradeline is updated to "customer disputes" - what now?

OC will take payment and notify but NOT recall from CA (online collections) citing "it's past a few months overdue so it's w/ them and we "can't" recall." Despite inaccuracies like incorrect for account, they refuse to call it back. They will take payment then notify CA it's been "paid" (and I'll probably get a paid on my report).

What now?

CA isn't responding to me but apparently OC told me today that CA did DV w/ them on Jan 10 and the OC sent the CA a copy of the last bill on that day.  Again, tradeline now states "customer disputes". Can I pay OC and then dispute with CRA? I never disputed, only asked for PFD, but apparently CA is taking my PFD as a DV/dispute.....

I want this OFF my credit report as my mortgage rate is much higher w/ this than w/out.

On 1/16/2019 at 3:25 PM, Pupster said:

Applying for home and saw old collections from Columbia gas of ohio on account for $59.00. They sent the account to Online Collections (listing as opened may 2016, even though the DFD was May 2015). 

Sent PFD to CA and didn't hear anything back so sent PFD/attempted to negotiate w/ OC but now my tradeline is updated to "customer disputes" - what now?

OC will take payment and notify but NOT recall from CA (online collections) citing "it's past a few months overdue so it's w/ them and we "can't" recall." Despite inaccuracies like incorrect for account, they refuse to call it back. They will take payment then notify CA it's been "paid" (and I'll probably get a paid on my report).

What now?

CA isn't responding to me but apparently OC told me today that CA did DV w/ them on Jan 10 and the OC sent the CA a copy of the last bill on that day.  Again, tradeline now states "customer disputes". Can I pay OC and then dispute with CRA? I never disputed, only asked for PFD, but apparently CA is taking my PFD as a DV/dispute.....

I want this OFF my credit report as my mortgage rate is much higher w/ this than w/out.

update: got DV from CA (even though i didn't ask for DV) - they sent me a copy of the bill from Columbia gas along w/ a letter saying they can take payment over the phone....now what? restricted endorsement check? the company is in NC (where the check will be cashed) but i live in NYC (which doesn't recognize RE on checks)

This process ONLY works if you pay OC. If you pay CA you're not using this process.
If you pay CA with a *WRITTEN* promise to delete for payment, that is a different process and *MAY* work... but that's discussed elsewhere in the forum.s

If you're just going to pay the CA and hope they delete it... you 99.9999 out of 100 times will be disappointed. Not a snowball's chance in hell that will happen.

I'd encourage to re-read the thread to understand this process.

What to do next?  It's discussed earlier in this thread, but...

...have you attempted online bill payment TO OC?

...have you attempted to call in payment TO OC?

...have yo attempted to go in to thier office and make payment TO OC!?

If you can get OC to accept payment written to OC there is no "collection" left to collect and you can follow up by disputing any further reporting.  Hope that helps.