Newly widowed and need help to move forward

The last post in this topic was posted 1829 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

OK. After a super long day of riding around & looking, I've narrowed it down. Toyota Highlander or Ford Explorer.

:good:

I think both of those are good choices. I have had an Explorer and it was great. I would buy one again. (I have an Escape now and would like a bit more room.) I have friends with Highlanders and they are happy with them.

• Replies 467
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Depends on the year of Explorer. I'd stay away from any of the 90's models - early 90's were junk and late 90's had the tire issues that became a "he-said-she-said" between Ford and Firestone and the tread separation problems. I have a 2010 Limited V8 which is the last year of the "truck" frame. 2011's and newer are on car frames.

We are really enjoying the Explorer. It's very comfortable and fine for taking some dirt roads to hiking trails nearby. But it isn't very high off the ground. Now I understand why, since it's on a Taurus frame.

Good luck with your choice!

Found & bought an 09 Explorer Eddie Bauer. 81k miles on it. (To compare, my 09 Outlander had 140k.) I paid a touch more than I wanted to. $13k. Still a good price for it. It was just a little more than I really wanted to spend.

Well, I took my father in law with me. We test drove a couple & the sales guy remarked after we got back from one, "You take a thorough test drive!" Um, yeah. That's because half the time we're out is spent in a parking lot with my father in law crawling all over it.

• 1 month later...

Finalized death certificate. Cause of death: pneumonia. Manner of death: natural causes. Could have knocked me over with a feather. I guess I need to call the county coroner for an autopsy report. (Just for my own education. Not because I need one.)

In credit news, kind of holding steady. Got a few more things to pay off. Still need to sell the Lancer. Some things should move along easier now that the cause of death is finalized. Like my insurance policy. Car titles. Etc.

• 3 weeks later...

So, I've received the insurance. My parents in law are talking about deeding an acre next door to them to me for the purpose of building. I'm working on getting the Lancer sold. I'm paying down & off debt. I wouldn't be ready to even talk to a builder for about 9 months. That gives me time to work on getting some of these negatives improved or removed. It also gives me time to build up additional savings above the life insurance.

Edited by dansamy

Oh & the whole being widowed thing? Sucks

Hang in there. I can't say that I know how you feel, but have been following your story since your husband passed.

Time sort of heals wounds, but never entirely. You have a family here if you ever need anything.

Per myFico:

EX 651

EQ 667

TU 677

I opened a money market with the life insurance for safekeeping until I am ready to do *something* about housing. What we actually live in now is a small, old, used, paid for mobile home on my mom's paid for land. The kids really want a house. I would be happy as a pig in mud with an RV & taking traveling jobs. My parents in law are offering me the acre next door to them for building. So, I'm working towards that. I've looked at plans from a local build on your lot type of builder who has a good reputation for building a solid home. The size & sort of plan I would like would run me about $85k. I'll have freely owned land to put it on & a good chunk in the bank to put down. I know building has tighter underwriting guidelines than mortgages. I've got work to do!

Edited by dansamy

Per myFico:

EX 651

EQ 667

TU 677

I opened a money market with the life insurance for safekeeping until I am ready to do *something* about housing. What we actually live in now is a small, old, used, paid for mobile home on my mom's paid for land. The kids really want a house. I would be happy as a pig in mud with an RV & taking traveling jobs. My parents in law are offering me the acre next door to them for building. So, I'm working towards that. I've looked at plans from a local build on your lot type of builder who has a good reputation for building a solid home. The size & sort of plan I would like would run me about $85k. I'll have freely owned land to put it on & a good chunk in the bank to put down. I know building has tighter underwriting guidelines than mortgages. I've got work to do!

So that precludes a Jim Walter Home?

Yes. It's already parceled out. There was previously a mobile home on that property about 10 years ago. The old septic tank & power pole are there, the acre is clear & level. It might need a load of dirt to make a better building site. I have no idea about that. Actually, each of their four acres are parceled out separately and deeded individually because they were planning ahead to when they would be inherited by my husband and his siblings.

The last post in this topic was posted 1829 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.