The Rewards Card Strategies Discussion Thread

• Replies 4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Many times on United you can use miles to upgrade (plus a copay which could be as much as $550/seat/way to Europe). If they log into their account/ticket (assuming they are UMP members) they should s

These Barclay quarterly bonuses have been going on for over 2 years now:   Q1 2014 I received a targeted offer from Barclays for an additional 2X points in several categories on my Priceline card.

There's no need to with the BA 100K offer, and you can also use your BA Exec Club number for oneworld revenue flights. Having a Household account helps as well.

What's the timeline again to churn BOA cards?

Read this entire thread. Every single post. By the time you're done, you'll understand.

How about you read all 92 pages and just give us the cliff notes?

I did read the whole thing. I think that sometimes, like in this case, it's a good idea to read an entire thread so that you get a better idea of what the boundaries are like.

Spoon feed me...

I feel like a baby now

WHY DO YOU PEOPLE NEED SO MANY CREDIT CARDS????

I don't want half the cards that I have, but we get them to get free vacations and other free stuff...

I wish I could easily just cancel out most of my cards...

Not so simple

So what does everyone think of the new Discover Miles card? 3 miles/$ for the first year after opening

It's essentially 3% CB if you use it for travel.

Konrad loves it (no he doesn't)

and the last discussion on this card almost made JennyAZ quit CB

:dntknw:

What's the timeline again to churn BOA cards?

Read this entire thread. Every single post. By the time you're done, you'll understand.

How about you read all 92 pages and just give us the cliff notes?

I did read the whole thing. I think that sometimes, like in this case, it's a good idea to read an entire thread so that you get a better idea of what the boundaries are like.

Ok then help us out. What are the boundaries? I know a 13bm is way to risky but how about a 5bm?

3bm seems like the limit with personal cards, but it might be possible to get more. The key is that with more than one, the applicant needs to call BOA. The reason for needing more than one card that works is "I need to keep expenses for different projects/clients on different cards." It's also important to get at least a $5K limit for the sig version of the card so that the full signup bonus is awarded.

So what does everyone think of the new Discover Miles card? 3 miles/$ for the first year after opening

It's essentially 3% CB if you use it for travel.

I'm not a fan of "miles."

The Disco Miles is a true 3% cash back from what I can tell...it doesn't have to be strictly a travel redemption. In that manner, it smokes the Cap 1 offerings when the Cap 1 bonus is removed from the equation.

Just they keep 1/2 of it for a year, so when you account for inflation, the returns are vastly diminished. Of course, that involves math and finance and common sense...Americans are too smart to be bothered with those pesky annoyances.

And of course, if you were to ever lemonade them off with M$, there is no guarantee you'll ever get that extra 1.5%. So anyone that mentions it for M$ over a Citi or FIA is a straight up fool.

I have read this thread entirely twice now and I think I'm on information overload so someone help me make sure I have this right.

I don't do a lot of travel and am not a huge spender as I am a single mother of 2 kids. My friend and I are planning an education trip from NC (where we live) to NYC next April 2016 during the kids spring break to take them to see the 9/11 memorial and Statue of Liberty Things like that.

So it will be 2 adults and 3 kids total going. Kids are older - 2 will be 13 and the other will be 10. She has enough MR points to transfer to BA for her flights there and I currently have enough to transfer for the flights I have to pay for there so flight seems to be covered. We will be taking the train back home for the sight seeing adventure.

So now I need to focus on hotel. I noticed you can book hotels with BA but NYC hotels seem to require massive amounts of Avios so is the best hotel route the SPG for the starwoods points?

My goal is to cover as much of the flight and hotel with points as possible to allow for more spending cash while there for all the activities we want to do. We will be staying for a week Monday through Friday or possible Monday through Saturday.

Thanks for any advice on my thinking.

You can/should look into different hotel card: Hyatt, Hilton, Marriott, RC.

I am not sure what hotels are in NYC.

Many people like to hate on these cards, Barclays Arrival+, and Cap1 Venture...but the truth is after meeting the spend on both, each one will let you redeem a statement credit towards travel purchase in the last 120 days. It works out to be $460 per card, or covering $920 in travel expense. So you could get a Hotel Card of your choice and book with these other cards if possible, and redeem the credit when statement cuts.

Just an idea and there are probably other ways to do it, but a free $920 is always worth a look. (In Barclays case, they also credit 10% of your redemption, meaning it could have a worth of about $500.)

Transferring miles to hotel programs is never really worth it.

In your case, the SPG might be worth it. If you don't get enough points, you can always use the points + miles option.

Do your research on the rewards program and also look for potential locations for your stay to see if it's possible.

LindseyB,

Good news is there is plenty of time for you to get a credit card or two and accumulate points on it since this is in April 2016. Now the thing is hotels in NYC are pretty damn expensive, even the not so great ones. So getting a credit card that gives you a free night (or two) would be preferable to getting free points. As points redemptions for hotels in NYC would require a lot of points.

Chase Marriott - 1 free night at category 1-4 hotel (you'll have to check whether there are cat 1-4 hotels in NYC area)

Chase Fairmont - 2 free nights

Chase IHG - 1 free night after 12 months

Chase Hyatt - 2 free nights

Citi Hilton Reserve - 2 weekend nights (good on most Hilton hotels, but not all)

Not sure how long you're planning to stay or whether the restrictions on any of these will be a problem for you. You'll have to do some research. If I remember correctly, both the IHG and Fairmont free nights are valid at all of their hotels incl. the luxury/aspirational properties (possibly Hyatt too). If the Fairmont works for the Plaza Hotel, maybe you and the kids can re-enact Home Alone.

Thanks for all the replies. Cappy I should be able to make the spend requirements for the cards given that they are 5,000 or under for the first 3 months. I haven't looked at all of those cards yet to see what the spend requirements are. If I could stagger my apps enough I could hit them .... Considering I still have Christmas this year for 2 kids that I save quite a bit for as they are a littles spoiled lol that I could put on a card since my trip isn't until next April.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks for all the replies. Cappy I should be able to make the spend requirements for the cards given that they are 5,000 or under for the first 3 months. I haven't looked at all of those cards yet to see what the spend requirements are. If I could stagger my apps enough I could hit them .... Considering I still have Christmas this year for 2 kids that I save quite a bit for as they are a littles spoiled lol that I could put on a card since my trip isn't until next April.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You need to decide whether or not hotel hopping bothers you. If your main goal is free, go for all of the best signup bonuses on hotel CCs that will give you a free night. If your goal is a free stay in a single hotel, formulate a strategy based on where you want to stay.

For example, the Four Points Sheraton in Times Square is a category 5 SPG property, and April is not peak season, so it requires 12K Starpoints per night. If you stay 6 nights, one of those nights will be free, so you would need 60K Starpoints. The current signup bonus is 25K with 5K spend in 6 months, so that would leave you with 30K in spending over the next year.

The other option if you choose SPG is for your friend to also get the same card, and then you would have enough points to book the rooms after the bonus spend. IIRC the limit on award bookings is 2 adults and 2 children per room though.

So, I'm supposed to be gardening :ph34r:, but while planning out my fall app spree, I came across the Chase SW 50k Rapid Rewards thread over at FT. Short version: You can apply for personal Premier Card ( https://creditcards.chase.com/a1/southwest/2rtfosam1) and the personal Plus Card (only referrals available at the moment), and once spending req are met, you will get both 50k bonuses. 100k is just short of the 110k required for the companion pass. I'm sure that I can do the extra 10k in spend. The CP would be good for the rest of 2015 and all of 2016.

With Southwest flying to Aruba, the Bahamas, Costa Rica, Cancun, Jamaica and the Dominican Republic -- this could make for some FUN getaways!

It appears that the Premier Card 50k offers are done fairly often. The Plus Card 50k offers are not. I've got my eyes peeled now, but if anyone comes across an announcement, could you please post a link in this thread. Like TLC, I ain't too proud to proud to beg. :rolleyes: If anyone has a Plus card referral they can share, I'd greatly appreciate it.

Edited by NotQuite

The Plus card was 50,000 for the last quarter of 2014. The offer comes around a couple times a year. If you fly Southwest this is a huge deal. I love the Southwest program and have booked many free flights. The companion pass just makes it that much better.

The Plus card was 50,000 for the last quarter of 2014. The offer comes around a couple times a year. If you fly Southwest this is a huge deal. I love the Southwest program and have booked many free flights. The companion pass just makes it that much better.

Cool...I'm guessing sometime in April/May just before the summer (hurrican season) push?? If I can't get one sooner, I'll just sit tight. Hoping to do same-day 2fer apps.

Amazon store card (the Synch card, not Chase) now earns 5% on all Amazon purchases for Prime members....just FYI. With special financing offers to boot....step over Sallie Mae.

https://www.amazon.com/iss/credit/storecardmember/ref=storecard_van

EDIT - Doh! Nevermind....it's 5% back OR special financing. Upgrading my account now and just got to the page. Grrr......

Edited by nateinva
  • Similar Content

• By Genie
      Hello, I'm looking for the best card to pay for a $4k purchase. I've got the money but I'd like to use a card that will get me the most value back like in cash back or sign up bonus for spending a large amount. This is an orthodontist purchase but I want to get the most bang for my money.

I have: AmEx everyday preferred, Capital One secure, CreditOne platinum.
      My relative has Discover it.

I hope y'all can help with this!

• By StarkRaven$
      Before joining CB's I had no knowledge or appreciation of credit card rewards. When I was rebuilding my credit I noticed under the "advanced tab" posts discussing rewards but at the time I assumed I would never have a use for that. In other words, I simply didn't understand it. Fast forward to today, For Christmas I bought my grandson a limited edition LA Rams Eric Dickerson tee shirt and covered the entire cost through rewards simply by paying my utility bills and using my US Bank cc. 

Seriously! If someone was to tell me I could do that four years ago, I would just tune out and dismiss it in my mind. So thank you very much for all the invaluable education here on Creditboards. You all are amazing!
    • By StarkRaven$
      My Amex Everyday Card Preferred sign up bonus pts were added to my card yesterday. The sign up bonus for at least $1K spend within three months is 15K additional points. It's on their website and I confirmed it with Amex over the phone. In the fine print bonus pts will not increase or apply to 50% more pts if you make 30 or more purchases within a statement period. They added 25K pts instead! I'll gladly take the extra 10K pts. Just hope they don't correct later.  Has that ever happened to anyone before?

DESCRIPTIO     AEDP $2k Spd/25k MR Pts These points have been added because of an offer or qualifying purchases made.
    • By StarkRaven$
      I booked a RT flight from San Diego to Hayden, CO on the Alaska Air website a month ago for Feb travel. I did not use any points. Total cost was $337.30. Today the same flight from the Alaska Air website is $468.

On the Amex Travel booking site the same Alaska flight is $720. I realize I can earn more reward points with Amex going through their travel site but the cost is too expensive.

I only travel twice a year and it's usually to visit my brother in Steamboat Springs.

Am I missing something here? Could someone explain or direct me to post on CB.

• By policebox
      I received this offer for my Fidelity Rewards Visa Card to earn 2,000 bonus points ($20).

Either I'm reading this incorrectly, or this seems like an insanely terrible offer.

Here is how I'm interpreting the deal:
      Must do spending between November 1 and December 31, 2019 Must spend $2,100 before you start earning bonus points You can earn up to 2,000 Bonus Points (redemptions are 100 points = $1, so $20 maximum cash back) You earn 20% Bonus Points per dollar spent (0.4 Bonus Points per $1) At this rate, you'd need to spend $7,100 ($2,100 + $5,000) to get the maximum bonus of 2,000 points ($5,000 * 0.4 points/$1 = 2,000 points)  
      Tell me I'm crazy and how.

Edit: I think I found my math error. Looks like after you spend $2,100, if you spend an additional $5,000 you'd get $20 cash back. Still, hardly worth stressing over.

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    PhDScholar

Important Information

Guidelines