The Rewards Card Strategies Discussion Thread

mendelssohn

I just met my spending requirement for the CSP and my 40k bonus is being deposited into my account tomorrow. I called and asked about retention offers and the rep said there is one for 7k points with a spending requirement 0f $4k in 3 months, which shouldn't be a problem. My question is are there better places to spend my money right now for a larger reward? I can park my CSP points in my Freedom account if I cancel the CSP. I currently use the AMX EDP for my grocery, gas, utility, and miscellaneous purchases.

Thanks!

If you are just getting your 40,000 points then you just got the card?

If that's the case then I need to get on that!

I can park my CSP points in my Freedom account if I cancel the CSP.

Do you have the Ink card (Plus or ?)?

I don't have a CSP nor an Ink and, without those, the points I have on Freedom are not able to be transferred out ... or so I've read.

Make sure your points are transferred out before canceling the CSP (ignore if you have Ink or are getting Ink).

I just got a promo. Probably targeted .

It's fast and easy to earn up to 5,000 ThankYou®Points.

Use your Citi ThankYou® Preferred Card to spend $750 now through 12/31/2015 and receive $5,000 Thank You® Points for purchases you make like:

Offer excludes dining and entertainment purchases.

1 This offer starts upon enrollment and will end on 12/31/2015. Earnings associated with this program will equal 5,000 bonus ThankYou® Points after making purchase transactions totaling $750 or more on eligible purchases and may overlap with other special offers in which you are currently enrolled. Eligible purchases exclude purchases at restaurants and entertainment, balance transfers, cash advances, convenience checks, items returned for credit, fees and interest charges. We do not determine how merchants are classified, however, they are generally classified based upon the merchants primary line of business. We reserve the right to determine which purchases qualify for this offer. All purchases must be posted during the promotional period.

In order to qualify for this offer, the account must be open and current at all times. If your account is closed for any reason, including if you convert to another card product, you may no longer be eligible for this offer. You may receive more than one communication regarding this bonus offer with a reply-by-date mentioned within; however, if you have already enrolled in this offer, no further action is required. This promotional offer is non-transferrable and applies to the account ending in the last 4 digits referenced in this offer.

If you have transferred a balance to this account or do so in the future, interest will be charged on purchases made with your credit card, unless your purchases have a 0% APR, or you pay the entire balance (including any transferred balances) in full each month by the payment due date.

I got a targeted email from my SPG card today. Earn 2 free nights with 2 qualified stays. Reward nights are valid on category 1-5 hotels.

Click on the link in the email, then post the URL of the landing page where you register for the promotion

https://www.spgpromos.com/SelectMemberExclusive6/

The page autopopulates my SPG number into the text box. I deleted part of the web address and it should not autopopulate now. Let me know if it doesn't work.

I was looking at the category 5 hotels and this deal is CRAZY GOOD! I can stay in a CAT 1 for about $100 and get a free night at a $300/night property!

I got a targeted email from my SPG card today. Earn 2 free nights with 2 qualified stays. Reward nights are valid on category 1-5 hotels.

Click on the link in the email, then post the URL of the landing page where you register for the promotion

The page autopopulates my SPG number into the text box. I deleted part of the web address and it should not autopopulate now. Let me know if it doesn't work.

I was looking at the category 5 hotels and this deal is CRAZY GOOD! I can stay in a CAT 1 for about $100 and get a free night at a $300/night property!

Thanks for trying. Definitely targeted. It said I am not eligible.

Thanks for trying. Definitely targeted. It said I am not eligible.

I received the email yet when I enter my SPG number it says I'm not eligible.

When I click on that link, I come up with:

Eligible member must register by November 30, 2015, 11:59 p.m. EDT. Member can earn 1,500 bonus Starpoints® after one (1) eligible paid stay, 2,500 bonus Starpoints after the second (2nd) eligible paid stay, and 3,500 bonus Starpoints after the third (3rd) eligible paid stay. As part of this promotion, member may earn a maximum of 7,500 total bonus Starpoints for three eligible stays from October 1, 2015, through December 31, 2015 (the "promotion period"). This promotion is not transferable. Bookings made prior to the promotion period are eligible, but only eligible stays consumed during the promotion period will earn a bonus.

7K points is certainly worth more than the $95 AF IMO.

Chase is not known for giving retention offers on the CSP and IMO you should take it.

Called back today and now all of a sudden there is no retention offer, so now I was thinking about opening the Citi Thank you Premier card to take its place and for the 50,000 TY points, thoughts?

I can park my CSP points in my Freedom account if I cancel the CSP.

Do you have the Ink card (Plus or ?)?

I don't have a CSP nor an Ink and, without those, the points I have on Freedom are not able to be transferred out ... or so I've read.

Make sure your points are transferred out before canceling the CSP (ignore if you have Ink or are getting Ink).

No Ink card, but don't plan on traveling for at least year, so I can always open another CSP account or an Ink at that time to transfer them.

• 2 weeks later...

The fall Total Rewards® Visa® Card1 Newsletter is here, and we're forking up a sweet deal! Tomorrow only, earn 5X Reward credits on all restaurant, dining, and grocery store purchases.2 Don't miss out on this exclusive one day offer or any of the other benefits we've prepared for you this season.

I just got an email about the Virgin Atlantic BOA CC. It says, "Earn upt to 90,000 miles."

20,000 on first purchase.

50,000 when spend $12,000 in first 6 months.

15,000 on anniversary after qualifying purchases.

5,000 when add an AU.

You'll earn:

3 miles per dollar spent directly
on Virgin Atlantic

1.5 miles for every dollar on all
other purchases

1 tier point per $2,500 spent
(maximum of two per month)

Apply by November 19, 2015 and dive into something spectacular.

Yeah, he is lucky my copy and paste wasn't working 2 days ago. I tried to post and ctrl + V didn't work on my Linux machine.

Hawaiian Airlines

Get $10 statement credit when you enroll your card in 2 unique and new reoccurring autopays. The T&Cs don't require more than one month's payment.

I'm going to do my iCloud and Google Drive. Total for both is about $5. So I should net 5.

• 5 weeks later...

I currently have 3 Citi AA cards open: Exec, Plat and Biz Plat. The Exec is a long term card for me and I had planned on closing both the Plat and Biz Plat this year, but I think the benefit of keeping them is worth it for now. Living near DFW, I use AA a lot.

On the Plat I was able to get a $95 statement credit + 1K miles for each month of $1K+ spending for 16 months. I also get 10% back for Miles redeemed up to 10K miles.

On the Biz Plat I was able to get 1K miles for each month of $1K+ spending for 16 months. I also earned a $99 companion certificate for spending $30K+ this year, and will get the 5% bonus on AA miles earned one more time.

Is there any reason NOT to keep all 3 open and keep M$ing all of them?

I have 4 Citi cards total and plan on closing my Hilton card and moving the limit to the Exec in about a month.

I currently have 3 Citi AA cards open: Exec, Plat and Biz Plat. The Exec is a long term card for me and I had planned on closing both the Plat and Biz Plat this year, but I think the benefit of keeping them is worth it for now. Living near DFW, I use AA a lot.

On the Plat I was able to get a $95 statement credit + 1K miles for each month of $1K+ spending for 16 months. I also get 10% back for Miles redeemed up to 10K miles.

On the Biz Plat I was able to get 1K miles for each month of $1K+ spending for 16 months. I also earned a $99 companion certificate for spending $30K+ this year, and will get the 5% bonus on AA miles earned one more time.

Is there any reason NOT to keep all 3 open and keep M$ing all of them?

I have 4 Citi cards total and plan on closing my Hilton card and moving the limit to the Exec in about a month.

Anyone?

• Similar Content

• By Genie
      Hello, I'm looking for the best card to pay for a $4k purchase. I've got the money but I'd like to use a card that will get me the most value back like in cash back or sign up bonus for spending a large amount. This is an orthodontist purchase but I want to get the most bang for my money.

I have: AmEx everyday preferred, Capital One secure, CreditOne platinum.
      My relative has Discover it.

I hope y'all can help with this!

• By StarkRaven$
      Before joining CB's I had no knowledge or appreciation of credit card rewards. When I was rebuilding my credit I noticed under the "advanced tab" posts discussing rewards but at the time I assumed I would never have a use for that. In other words, I simply didn't understand it. Fast forward to today, For Christmas I bought my grandson a limited edition LA Rams Eric Dickerson tee shirt and covered the entire cost through rewards simply by paying my utility bills and using my US Bank cc. 

Seriously! If someone was to tell me I could do that four years ago, I would just tune out and dismiss it in my mind. So thank you very much for all the invaluable education here on Creditboards. You all are amazing!
    • By StarkRaven$
      My Amex Everyday Card Preferred sign up bonus pts were added to my card yesterday. The sign up bonus for at least $1K spend within three months is 15K additional points. It's on their website and I confirmed it with Amex over the phone. In the fine print bonus pts will not increase or apply to 50% more pts if you make 30 or more purchases within a statement period. They added 25K pts instead! I'll gladly take the extra 10K pts. Just hope they don't correct later.  Has that ever happened to anyone before?

DESCRIPTIO     AEDP $2k Spd/25k MR Pts These points have been added because of an offer or qualifying purchases made.
    • By StarkRaven$
      I booked a RT flight from San Diego to Hayden, CO on the Alaska Air website a month ago for Feb travel. I did not use any points. Total cost was $337.30. Today the same flight from the Alaska Air website is $468.

On the Amex Travel booking site the same Alaska flight is $720. I realize I can earn more reward points with Amex going through their travel site but the cost is too expensive.

I only travel twice a year and it's usually to visit my brother in Steamboat Springs.

Am I missing something here? Could someone explain or direct me to post on CB.

• By policebox
      I received this offer for my Fidelity Rewards Visa Card to earn 2,000 bonus points ($20).

Either I'm reading this incorrectly, or this seems like an insanely terrible offer.

Here is how I'm interpreting the deal:
      Must do spending between November 1 and December 31, 2019 Must spend $2,100 before you start earning bonus points You can earn up to 2,000 Bonus Points (redemptions are 100 points = $1, so $20 maximum cash back) You earn 20% Bonus Points per dollar spent (0.4 Bonus Points per $1) At this rate, you'd need to spend $7,100 ($2,100 + $5,000) to get the maximum bonus of 2,000 points ($5,000 * 0.4 points/$1 = 2,000 points)  
      Tell me I'm crazy and how.

Edit: I think I found my math error. Looks like after you spend $2,100, if you spend an additional $5,000 you'd get $20 cash back. Still, hardly worth stressing over.

Important Information

Guidelines