The Rewards Card Strategies Discussion Thread

mendelssohn

There's 2 Citigold bonus offers right now, 50K AAdvantage miles or ThankYou Points.

http://www.milesmethods.com/two-citigold-bonus-offers/

The AAdvantage offer requires $1K in debit card purchases and at least 1 bill paid with bill pay 2 consecutive months.

The ThankYou point offer only requires bill pay, nothing with the debit card.

Don't forget that you can fund it up to $100K with a CC, and you only get one chance to do it. Just make sure you pick the correct card. ;)

What does, "...and you only get 1 chance to do it." Mean?
To fund the account with a CC. You can't fund it with a CC after the account is opened.

And you can only use one card to fund. No split tender.

Do they issue a 1099 for these TYP's?

They may, I'm not sure. I just did my first Citigold account a few months back.

There's 2 Citigold bonus offers right now, 50K AAdvantage miles or ThankYou Points.

The AAdvantage offer requires $1K in debit card purchases and at least 1 bill paid with bill pay 2 consecutive months.

Don't forget that you can fund it up to $100K with a CC, and you only get one chance to do it. Just make sure you pick the correct card. ;)

What does, "...and you only get 1 chance to do it." Mean?
To fund the account with a CC. You can't fund it with a CC after the account is opened.

And you can only use one card to fund. No split tender.

Do they issue a 1099 for these TYP's?

They may, I'm not sure. I just did my first Citigold account a few months back.

FYI, If I recall these TYP do not transfer out like on the Prestige and Premier cards. Anyone verify that?

Still a win if you fund it with a credit card like Mendel says.

Seven Amex cards have a higher than usual signup bonus right now:

http://www.milesmethods.com/seven-larger-american-express-signup-bonuses/

I'm not applying for any of these right now, but the EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred offers are hard to pass up if those cards are on your want list.

Great offers....I went for EDP and it's pending. For me that's a denial.

You never know. I would love to apply for the EDP, but it has to wait.

I am debating on getting ED card for DW as a place to park the MR from the 100K platinum offer a while back, as I am sure it will be cancelled before the AF is due next year (but not before I get another $200 worth of airline credits out of it). I can't see the value in the EDP only because we would never use it 30x a month to get the bonus (since Amex won't change their horrid policy on AUs it can't be my all other spend card)

Seven Amex cards have a higher than usual signup bonus right now:

http://www.milesmethods.com/seven-larger-american-express-signup-bonuses/

I'm not applying for any of these right now, but the EveryDay and EveryDay Preferred offers are hard to pass up if those cards are on your want list.

Great offers....I went for EDP and it's pending. For me that's a denial.
You never know. I would love to apply for the EDP, but it has to wait.

I am debating on getting ED card for DW as a place to park the MR from the 100K platinum offer a while back, as I am sure it will be cancelled before the AF is due next year (but not before I get another $200 worth of airline credits out of it). I can't see the value in the EDP only because we would never use it 30x a month to get the bonus (since Amex won't change their horrid policy on AUs it can't be my all other spend card)

Amazon $.50 GCs. ;)

I'm willing to pass on it because I use my PRG past the breakeven point with the EDP for groceries, but a 30K bonus plus 27K on $6K in groceries would be nice. I can live without it with the other MR bonuses I've gotten this year though.

30% bonus with United miles partners: http://www.milesmethods.com/30-percent-bonus-with-united-miles-partners/

united-30-percent-bonus-miles.jpg?resize

You will only earn the 30 percent bonus on MileagePlus partners that you have not used before, which according to the Terms and Conditions means in the previous 12 months as of the start of this offer.

This isn't just the MileagePlus shopping, but ALL the partners.

Edited by mendelssohn

Damn too bad I don't have an AA cards or a Citi ThankYou Points Card

A free 50k AA bonus would be sweeet. I might start flying regularly again..

If you fund it with the correct CC, it's worth much more than 50K.

Yup it's too bad I don't have either of those cards to take advantage of those offers. I would fund it with my city double cash, or my fidelity American Express to get the 2% cash

If you fund it with a Citi card, it posts as a cash advance.

Sounds like if you got that British Airways CC a few weeks ago that would be the way to fund the CitiGold account.

The 100,000 Avios deal is what I am referring to.

Edited by pwd847

Don't Chase cards charge CA Fees for that? :yahoo:

I dunno. If they did, I figured someone else would jump in and tell me how stupid I am.
OK. You're stupid.

Just kidding

The problem with using the BA card for the checking account funding bonus is going to be the large charge. Most new cards need "broken in" and "trained". You're going to need to use a seasoned card to get them to accept a $20K, $30K, $40K charge. (Unless its AMEX, and AMEX doesn't play well with the checking funding game)

I dunno. If they did, I figured someone else would jump in and tell me how stupid I am.
OK. You're stupid.

Just kidding

The problem with using the BA card for the checking account funding bonus is going to be the large charge. Most new cards need "broken in" and "trained". You're going to need to use a seasoned card to get them to accept a $20K, $30K, $40K charge. (Unless its AMEX, and AMEX doesn't play well with the checking funding game)

You can also call and get a large amount preapproved.

OK. You're stupid.

Just kidding

How would that conversation go, "Yes, I wanted to let you know about a large charge to Citi Financial Services" :dntknw: Every time I've called about a charge in advance, they want to know where it is. It would seem to me telling Chase you're going to be doing a large charge with Citi would be a bust

OK. You're stupid.

Just kidding

How would that conversation go, "Yes, I wanted to let you know about a large charge to Citi Financial Services" :dntknw: Every time I've called about a charge in advance, they want to know where it is. It would seem to me telling Chase you're going to be doing a large charge with Citi would be a bust

Use the automated line. No need to talk to anyone.

I hadn't really paid attention to this before, but the referral bonus on the Amex Platinum is 7500 MR points. Most of the other bonuses are 5K.

I would never bother referring anyone though because it's the 40K offer. I'm glad I waited for the 100K before applying.

I hadn't really paid attention to this before, but the referral bonus on the Amex Platinum is 7500 MR points. Most of the other bonuses are 5K.

I would never bother referring anyone though because it's the 40K offer. I'm glad I waited for the 100K before applying.

You and me both :)

My statement cuts tomorrow, I am hoping to see my 100K points.

They didn't post yet? Mine posted when I hit the spend.

They didn't post yet? Mine posted when I hit the spend.

Just asked in chat, they are posting when statement cuts tomorrow.

I bought two $100 AA gift cards with my Amex Plat for the reimbursement. But instead of being reimbursed, AA refunded the order. Did I do something wrong?

That may actually work out well for you. Watch to see if the reimbursements still show up. That's been reported to happen sometimes. How long ago was the purchase? The AA refunded order may have to do with some info not matching.

That's what happened. Amex reimbursed me yesterday. So now I have a -$200 balance on that card. That's pretty cool, I guess.

I just met my spending requirement for the CSP and my 40k bonus is being deposited into my account tomorrow. I called and asked about retention offers and the rep said there is one for 7k points with a spending requirement 0f $4k in 3 months, which shouldn't be a problem. My question is are there better places to spend my money right now for a larger reward? I can park my CSP points in my Freedom account if I cancel the CSP. I currently use the AMX EDP for my grocery, gas, utility, and miscellaneous purchases.

Thanks!

• Similar Content

• By Genie
      Hello, I'm looking for the best card to pay for a $4k purchase. I've got the money but I'd like to use a card that will get me the most value back like in cash back or sign up bonus for spending a large amount. This is an orthodontist purchase but I want to get the most bang for my money.

I have: AmEx everyday preferred, Capital One secure, CreditOne platinum.
      My relative has Discover it.

I hope y'all can help with this!

• By StarkRaven$
      Before joining CB's I had no knowledge or appreciation of credit card rewards. When I was rebuilding my credit I noticed under the "advanced tab" posts discussing rewards but at the time I assumed I would never have a use for that. In other words, I simply didn't understand it. Fast forward to today, For Christmas I bought my grandson a limited edition LA Rams Eric Dickerson tee shirt and covered the entire cost through rewards simply by paying my utility bills and using my US Bank cc. 

Seriously! If someone was to tell me I could do that four years ago, I would just tune out and dismiss it in my mind. So thank you very much for all the invaluable education here on Creditboards. You all are amazing!
    • By StarkRaven$
      My Amex Everyday Card Preferred sign up bonus pts were added to my card yesterday. The sign up bonus for at least $1K spend within three months is 15K additional points. It's on their website and I confirmed it with Amex over the phone. In the fine print bonus pts will not increase or apply to 50% more pts if you make 30 or more purchases within a statement period. They added 25K pts instead! I'll gladly take the extra 10K pts. Just hope they don't correct later.  Has that ever happened to anyone before?

DESCRIPTIO     AEDP $2k Spd/25k MR Pts These points have been added because of an offer or qualifying purchases made.
    • By StarkRaven$
      I booked a RT flight from San Diego to Hayden, CO on the Alaska Air website a month ago for Feb travel. I did not use any points. Total cost was $337.30. Today the same flight from the Alaska Air website is $468.

On the Amex Travel booking site the same Alaska flight is $720. I realize I can earn more reward points with Amex going through their travel site but the cost is too expensive.

I only travel twice a year and it's usually to visit my brother in Steamboat Springs.

Am I missing something here? Could someone explain or direct me to post on CB.

• By policebox
      I received this offer for my Fidelity Rewards Visa Card to earn 2,000 bonus points ($20).

Either I'm reading this incorrectly, or this seems like an insanely terrible offer.

Here is how I'm interpreting the deal:
      Must do spending between November 1 and December 31, 2019 Must spend $2,100 before you start earning bonus points You can earn up to 2,000 Bonus Points (redemptions are 100 points = $1, so $20 maximum cash back) You earn 20% Bonus Points per dollar spent (0.4 Bonus Points per $1) At this rate, you'd need to spend $7,100 ($2,100 + $5,000) to get the maximum bonus of 2,000 points ($5,000 * 0.4 points/$1 = 2,000 points)  
      Tell me I'm crazy and how.

Edit: I think I found my math error. Looks like after you spend $2,100, if you spend an additional $5,000 you'd get $20 cash back. Still, hardly worth stressing over.

Important Information

Guidelines