The Rewards Card Strategies Discussion Thread

mendelssohn

Has anyone else done that CitiGold 30K AA offer yet?

I'm just curious. My Barclays M&M statement closes on the 3rd and I'm planning on opening an account on the 4th and funding it with the full $30K limit from my M&M. I'm guessing that I should probably call Barclays in advance to warn them that I'm going to be making a large purchase. :lol:

You need to obviously call Barclays and set your CA limit to $0, which hopefully you've done already.

I'm going to do that tomorrow, and make a call on the 4th to make sure that they know I am going to make a large purchase.

My CA limit is already pretty low.

Any cards you are M$ing, buying AGC's, funding bank accounts etc with should have CA limits zeroed out.

CapOne will not set CA to $0...or at least I haven't been able to get them to.

Yes sir. :D

I don't do AGCs, but the CLs on most of my good rewards cards are used to 80%+ each month. It's been a good run so far this year.

Has anyone else done that CitiGold 30K AA offer yet?

I'm just curious. My Barclays M&M statement closes on the 3rd and I'm planning on opening an account on the 4th and funding it with the full $30K limit from my M&M. I'm guessing that I should probably call Barclays in advance to warn them that I'm going to be making a large purchase. :lol:

Wouldn't Barclays be Concerned that you're funding a bank with A CC?

It probably looks like a CA to them and makes it looks as if you have no capital.

You can fund a CitiGold account with a Barclays CC and it shows up as a purchase. That's the whole point.

I'm aware on how it shows up, but when you pre authorize the charge and Barclays asks you what it's for, what do you respond with?

Unlike you Cappy, I'm smooth on the phone. :lol:

There is no reason not to maximize the offer.

Let's not go there!!! :grin:

I perfected the HUCA

The HUCA is NOT hanging up based on the tone of the person answering the call.

HUCA Rule 14a.1

One must Hang up if Rep voice sounds Anxious, Upset or annoyed, etc... Exception to the rule is if calling India/Phillipines or anyone that sounds monotone.

Know the rules or don't play the game

Setting CA limit to zero will stop some funding from working. IIRC funding with a Chase card will be denied.

I wouldn't play games with my Chase cards. I'm going off of the info that a Barclays card will show up as a purchase.

Cappy, you didn't invent any of that. Let's not pretend that you did. :rofl:

Setting CA limit to zero will stop some funding from working. IIRC funding with a Chase card will be denied.

I wouldn't play games with my Chase cards. I'm going off of the info that a Barclays card will show up as a purchase.

I'm with you on Chase. Don't screw around with them.

I've been doing HUCA before the acronym came out... TBH, if you ask any of my close friends, they would agree with me...

I'm not here to brag, but I understand the works of it quite well

I've been doing HUCA before the acronym came out... TBH, if you ask any of my close friends, they would agree with me...

But let's not say that you invented it, because you didn't.

To tell someone that you invented something that they have been doing all along is an insult.

To tell someone that you invented something that they have been doing all along is an insult.

I think you're taking it in literal terms...

It bothers me to read some stories where you hear about a Rude/Clueless rep and things get screwed up.

These things can be easily avoided...

I'm only being funny when I say I invented it, however it does get more attention and maybe people will actually realize that it's a very important TOOL to use.

You HUCA your close friends? 😀😀 Makeing sure they are in a good mood ? Lol JK

Nah, you're not kidding. :rofl:

Edited by mendelssohn

Wow

Someone help me with learning how to converse properly :)

Chase cards will post as a purchase but will be denied if your CA is set to zero. I have used a Chase card in the past.

I invented the rum and Coke®.

Topic change...

If I were to charge my car payment each month to a card, then PIF, would that raise any flags with the issuer? I could boost my rewards that way, but I also want to avoid any AA.

What would make you think this would cause AA?

I don't see the issue

I invented the rum and Coke®.

Tell the Italians that you invented Pasta and they might Kill you! :rofl:

CV, let's hear your strategy on how you depleted your Miles/Points on this Italy trip so far :good:

Topic change...

If I were to charge my car payment each month to a card, then PIF, would that raise any flags with the issuer? I could boost my rewards that way, but I also want to avoid any AA.

That would be great if you can, but usually there is no way to do this if your car loan is through a bank. I don't know off any issues doing it, just not sure how you actually can do it.

Topic change...

That would be great if you can, but usually there is no way to do this if your car loan is through a bank. I don't know off any issues doing it, just not sure how you actually can do it.

Are ways to do this, however their are Fees and it usually outweighs the rewards...

It only pays to go this route if you're going for Spend on a signup Bonus or if you're earning more than the swipe Fee being charged.

• Admin

Back to travel rewards discussion now. ;)

I'm still considering the US Bank Club Carlson card for diversity in hotel points. I know the program was gutted, but 40K anniversary points more than offsets the AF and it earns points on all purchases worth at least 2%. You can also churn the business card to help replenish points.

But then don't you have to stay in one of their hotels? The last 2 Carlson properties I stayed in were .... uhm, gross.

Mendels thats a great idea on churning the biz cards....

Even better if its something your doing long term you can build up the credit on your biz and eventually you wouldnt need the inquiry on the personal side....

Shoot me a PM if your interested;)

Hmm.

When Barclays takes over Jetblue credit cards from Amex (in Dec), my fingers are crossed that there'll be a decent bonus attached. Don't wanna get my hopes up too high, but is there any "normal" associated with this sort of thing?

Topic change...

Are ways to do this, however their are Fees and it usually outweighs the rewards...

It only pays to go this route if you're going for Spend on a signup Bonus or if you're earning more than the swipe Fee being charged.

Buy a VGC. Buy a money order with the VGC. Pay the car loan.

Would be profitable with a WF 5%, Blue Cash or Everyday products, PRG, Chase or Disco during 5% categories, Chase Ink Plus or Cash, etc etc etc

Edited by Konrad2012

2 roundtrip Southwest tickets from California to North Carolina for 22k points a pop. Thank you very much Chase southwest signup bonus.

I'm looking at your cards, Kayvebear - are you planning on getting a second Chase SW card and completing the spend/plus the addt'l 6k before the end of the year? If not, you're leaving a companion pass for all of next year on the table.

Can someone teach me a little bit about this? I see that I already have 52,000+ points towards the 110k needed for companion pass. That pass would be really cool. What do I have to do?

You would need to earn 58,000 more points VIA spend or another signup bonus or a combo.

What other signup bonuses are there? I already opened the Chase SW card this year

They have personal and business cards. Also different versions of the card.

:good: THIS ^

oops, didn't mean for that to be flyby post, glad others came by with the info for ya.

• Similar Content

• By Genie
      Hello, I'm looking for the best card to pay for a $4k purchase. I've got the money but I'd like to use a card that will get me the most value back like in cash back or sign up bonus for spending a large amount. This is an orthodontist purchase but I want to get the most bang for my money.

I have: AmEx everyday preferred, Capital One secure, CreditOne platinum.
      My relative has Discover it.

I hope y'all can help with this!

• By StarkRaven$
      Before joining CB's I had no knowledge or appreciation of credit card rewards. When I was rebuilding my credit I noticed under the "advanced tab" posts discussing rewards but at the time I assumed I would never have a use for that. In other words, I simply didn't understand it. Fast forward to today, For Christmas I bought my grandson a limited edition LA Rams Eric Dickerson tee shirt and covered the entire cost through rewards simply by paying my utility bills and using my US Bank cc. 

Seriously! If someone was to tell me I could do that four years ago, I would just tune out and dismiss it in my mind. So thank you very much for all the invaluable education here on Creditboards. You all are amazing!
    • By StarkRaven$
      My Amex Everyday Card Preferred sign up bonus pts were added to my card yesterday. The sign up bonus for at least $1K spend within three months is 15K additional points. It's on their website and I confirmed it with Amex over the phone. In the fine print bonus pts will not increase or apply to 50% more pts if you make 30 or more purchases within a statement period. They added 25K pts instead! I'll gladly take the extra 10K pts. Just hope they don't correct later.  Has that ever happened to anyone before?

DESCRIPTIO     AEDP $2k Spd/25k MR Pts These points have been added because of an offer or qualifying purchases made.
    • By StarkRaven$
      I booked a RT flight from San Diego to Hayden, CO on the Alaska Air website a month ago for Feb travel. I did not use any points. Total cost was $337.30. Today the same flight from the Alaska Air website is $468.

On the Amex Travel booking site the same Alaska flight is $720. I realize I can earn more reward points with Amex going through their travel site but the cost is too expensive.

I only travel twice a year and it's usually to visit my brother in Steamboat Springs.

Am I missing something here? Could someone explain or direct me to post on CB.

• By policebox
      I received this offer for my Fidelity Rewards Visa Card to earn 2,000 bonus points ($20).

Either I'm reading this incorrectly, or this seems like an insanely terrible offer.

Here is how I'm interpreting the deal:
      Must do spending between November 1 and December 31, 2019 Must spend $2,100 before you start earning bonus points You can earn up to 2,000 Bonus Points (redemptions are 100 points = $1, so $20 maximum cash back) You earn 20% Bonus Points per dollar spent (0.4 Bonus Points per $1) At this rate, you'd need to spend $7,100 ($2,100 + $5,000) to get the maximum bonus of 2,000 points ($5,000 * 0.4 points/$1 = 2,000 points)  
      Tell me I'm crazy and how.

Edit: I think I found my math error. Looks like after you spend $2,100, if you spend an additional $5,000 you'd get $20 cash back. Still, hardly worth stressing over.

Important Information

Guidelines