Been living in NJ apartment with no lease, wanting to move

The last post in this topic was posted 2428 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Do I have anything to fear here? (Major thing: NO LEASE WAS SIGNED. Interest of full disclosure to CB: They DO have an application.)

Circumstances have merited us seeking another location in which to live.

They have no lease, therefore, I am thinking that to leave early.. we are not contractually bound.

Input? Ask away.

(Decided to take the short approach to describing this problem.)

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And when you leave, make sure you take LOTS of quality pictures and have that days newspaper visible somewhere in each shot. Save the newspaper. It proves the pictures you took were recent.

We've heard enough stories of people losing security deposits, or worse; getting a collection account out the the landlord claiming damages that went unpaid.

You may still be bound to give a notice which could have been stipulated in the application or a previous lease

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sounds good. :good:

We will give 30 days notice prior to us moving.

We do not plan on paying, as there is no lease. We paid some already.

Yeah check the notice period.

30 days should be sufficient.

Yup! Will do

And when you leave, make sure you take LOTS of quality pictures and have that days newspaper visible somewhere in each shot. Save the newspaper. It proves the pictures you took were recent.

We've heard enough stories of people losing security deposits, or worse; getting a collection account out the the landlord claiming damages that went unpaid.

Yeah, all they have is an application.

I will take a gazillion photos with dates clear. If they try to get dirty.

You may still be bound to give a notice which could have been stipulated in the application or a previous lease

Yup! Will do

They allowed you to live there, but since they didn't make you sign a lease, you aren't going to pay?

Yup! Will do

They allowed you to live there, but since they didn't make you sign a lease, you aren't going to pay?
Yup! And we "allowed" ourselves to put up with various things.. good thing we DIDNT sign one. That is their bad. They overlooked, and i had my reserves about signing. They cant produce one because one is not signed.Nothing binding. We been playing house. We WERE gonna play along, then our car got stolen. Now we moving out and they aint getting s***.

I can probably get our Super to see thatveverything is ok and give him the key. But 2015? Done with this ghetto c***.

I even saw a character yesterday that I knew. A car stealer.

Spin this any way you like.. i should have figured some would pick up on that. It dont matter. That money? Is getting us a new place.

Edited by rslifkin
  • Admin

Yup! Will do

Yup! And we "allowed" ourselves to put up with various things.. good thing we DIDNT sign one. That is their bad. They overlooked, and i had my reserves about signing. They cant produce one because one is not signed.Nothing binding. We been playing house. We WERE gonna play along, then our car got stolen. Now we moving out and they aint getting s***.

I can probably get our Super to see thatveverything is ok and give him the key. But 2015? Done with this ghetto c***.

Spin this any way you like.. i should have figured some would pick up on that. It dont matter. That money? Is getting us a new place.

Joseph, you can't blame them for your car being stolen.

Yup! Will do

Joseph, you can't blame them for your car being stolen.
LKH, though that is true, my future wife and I do desire to move. We can't have this happen to either of our two remaining vehicles, one of which is at a shop and the other of which is a daily driver. Both SUVs, one mid-size and one large, the large one as the present DD; and though I tuned it up so well for us that it passed Inspection last week, its a big step down from a 1995 Honda Civic to a 1999 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 5.4L V8 as a daily driver for fuel economy. Heck, even the 1993/1994 Chevy S-10 Blazer Tahoe LT I have loses to the Civic, by lot.

So, while you are absolutely correct that we cant blame our apartment unit for the theft, we cannot remain here. Both of us decided this right around the time that it happened. "How does that tie in with things?" - I can tell you that we do NOT have a signed lease to be here. Unless they forge one. They have an APPLICATION. Now.... I am saying this because it was perhaps an oversight on their part, yea. They make invioces for us and all, and we have fallen behind. But wifey and I feel that if we take any money saved and move to a different place, that thia way we will not be TRAPPED here. Playing house.

I am on Indeed.com looking for better-paying jobs. I could always find work (contingent on driving to it) but it is always minimum wage. I found some that would be good for me, but.. the main thing is this "background check" business. STILL annoyed that NJ calls plastic BB guns with springs "weapons" or "handguns." Wow. I was very bitter for a long time about this. Trying not to be again. Lord, give me strength..

So, . ... I am happy you came into the thread, LKH. I know that you know your stuff, ans would never tell me anything wrong

What should I do here?

NJ is notorious for car thefts. Especially Civics.

Sounds like to much negativity there. Just get out since you don't have a lease.

Good luck with your move @rslifkin.

Oh, I saw someone I recognized from my checkered past yesterday on the street as I was driving in the Expedition yesterday. I drove by twice to make sure it was him. It was. He steals cars. May have had something to do with mine. And if I had a gun, that would have went differently, too.

Looking at ways to make money, and wifey may be comfortable with working a pole, as a BBW.. IF we find the right club. Maybe Bloomfield or Montclair. Nothing saying we have to stay in NJ.

Let us be clear: Whomever took my Civic (remember the thread I made about it) punched me in the face, and, given the chance, or presented opportunity, that person WILL need the Police. LET me see my car again. I will call them first. Then, I will follow it. Maybe even block it in. Then I will take my car. They will have to shoot me.... oh yes.

Bye-bye, Newark.

*1995 Honda Civic, tags NJ #K33-EUP. 973-733-6000.

I remember that thread. Newark is brutal man.

They were probably the first and MOST high-tech city in catching car thieves. I'm surprised it's still going down like that.

You're not going to find it. It was probably stripped and sold for parts. So many Civics between there and NY you could unload parts easily. OR! the person that stole it took your parts for their own Civic. (God knows)

Do I have anything to fear here? (Major thing: NO LEASE WAS SIGNED. Interest of full disclosure to CB: They DO have an application.)

They have no lease, therefore, I am thinking that to leave early.. we are not contractually bound.

Input? Ask away.

This is an example of when a "short" version doesn't quite cover it, does it?

That's incorrect -- you are still contractually bound to pay for your actual rental occupancy period, lease or no lease.

State laws vary and there are many exceptions based on specific industries, types and durations of contracts, but, in general, an oral contract is just as valid as a written one. To believe otherwise is a very common myth.

An oral contract may just be more difficult to prove in a court of law -- its existence and/or its details -- that's all.

In this case, proving would not be difficult, if it ever came to that. When you submitted an application, moved in; then paid for at least one month's rent, had the payment accepted by the landlord, rinse and repeat on an ongoing basis, both parties' actions clearly established the existence and key details of at least a routine month-to-month landlord-tenant agreement.

A piece of advice: you might not want to be discussing ways to commit and get away with tenant fraud on a public forum, let alone providing personally identifying details.

Edited by nht

You have to pay rent for the time you live there. If you don't, you will be sued.

Input? Ask away.

That's incorrect -- you are still contractually bound, lease or no lease.

State laws vary and there are many exceptions based on specific industries, types and durations of contracts, but, in general, an oral contract is just as valid as a written one. To believe otherwise is a very common myth.

An oral contract may just be more difficult to prove in a court of law -- its existence and/or its details -- that's all.

In this case, proving would not be difficult, if it ever came to that. When you submitted an application, moved in; then paid for at least one month's rent, had the payment accepted by the landlord, rinse and repeat on an ongoing basis, both parties' actions clearly established the existence and key details of at least a routine month-to-month landlord-tenant agreement.

A piece of advice: you might not want to be discussing ways to commit and get away with tenant fraud on a public forum, let alone providing personal details that would make it that much easier to do a skip trace after you skip town.

Thank you both... but they can come and get me.

When we move, we are out of there and they can just wait for what they think we owe. Proving with no signed lease? Yeah, ok.

They told me they had a parking lot.

They owe me a car, and should be happy I didn't take one, as mine was.

You have to pay rent for the time you live there. If you don't, you will be sued.

Input? Ask away.

A piece of advice: you might not want to be discussing ways to commit and get away with tenant fraud on a public forum, let alone providing personal details that would make it that much easier to do a skip trace after you skip town.

When we move, we are out of there and they can just wait for what they think we owe. Proving with no signed lease? Yeah, ok.

Don't screw yourself over after all you've been through.

In most states, rent without a lease is month to month. Pay what you owe.

I know you're upset about the car, but that has nothing to do with the apartment complex.

You can't offset two completely unrelated things, especially when they aren't responsable for your car.

Good luck to you and your future wife, and I hope you do the right thing and stay on the path that you have been over the past year+. :good:

And... since that happened... I will now deal with things a different way.

Did you know that Newark ticketed the Expo WHILE WE WERE MAKING THE POLICE REPORT ON THE HONDA?

I wish they would. I wipe my @$$ with Newark.

They should be happy that they don't have one more stolen car.

Input? Ask away.

I know you're upset about the car, but that has nothing to do with the apartment complex.

You can't offset two completely unrelated things, especially when they aren't responsable for your car.

Good luck to you and your future wife, and I hope you do the right thing and stay on the path that you have been over the past year+. :good:

Im in church and saw this 5 seconds after I hit "send" on last post. I should drink some water. I have a caffeine headache...

I will let this marinate as best I can.

I been through some things that don't happen to most people, including a brutal and unjust extradition from Florida to NJ at the end of July. HOT... but this is a unique offense of Joseph C.

No car? Yeah... That changes things.

Input? Ask away.

Im in church and saw this 5 seconds after I hit "send" on last post. I should drink some water. I have a caffeine headache...

I been through some things that don't happen to most people, including a brutal and unjust extradition from Florida to NJ at the end of July. HOT... but this is a unique offense of Joseph C.

Input? Ask away.

The last post in this topic was posted 2428 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.