Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Is it a bad idea to trade in a car halfway through financing

The last post in this topic was posted 2098 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So my brain isn't working very well today... I'm trying to figure out if this is a terrible idea or not.

Background: 2 years ago (almost exactly) I splurged and bought a new, luxury SUV. I could afford the payments comfortably at the time and still keep up savings, etc. I had a trade-in of $5,000, but otherwise put no money towards it. Payments are $720/month.

Today, after putting 42,000 miles on it (I have a big commute), I owe pretty close to what the car is worth. (KBB = 24,500, owe 26,500). About 8 months ago, we had a SURPRISE baby, and now I'm paying an unbudgeted $1200/month in childcare, so I'm not able to save as much as I like.

So... does it make sense to trade my car in and downsize? I'm thinking I could get something like a modest Jeep Cherokee and knock my payment down a couple of hundred bucks a month, giving me more money to put into savings. Or should I just keep my car until it's paid off? But at that point it will have 100,000 miles on it.

I'm so confused... I LOVE my car, but at the time I bought it, I thought we were done having kids, so my priorities have now shifted.

p.s. - haven't checked my full credit in awhile, but it should be pretty decent. My discover card gives me a FICO reading every month and it's in the low 700s, so credit approval shouldn't be a concern or consideration, hopefully.

If you trade a vehicle that has negative equity, you have to step way down in what you finance in order to lower your payments ~200.00 monthly.

200.00 monthly x 72 months is 14400.00 in principal alone. x 60 is 12000 in principal.

If you trade a vehicle that has negative equity, you have to step way down in what you finance in order to lower your payments ~200.00 monthly.

200.00 monthly x 72 months is 14400.00 in principal alone. x 60 is 12000 in principal.

Yeah that would be the plan. The suv I'm looking at would cost about 15000 less than the after trade in cost of my current one

Keep your existing car and refinance at DCU for 65 months 1.49%. Your payments will be about $425 a month. You will only pay $1,100 in interest over the life of the loan.

If you trade in a 2 year old car, you will take a huge hit on depreciation. You will take a double hit if you buy another brand new car.

If KBB value is $24,500 you may only get $22,000 on a trade. Dealers never give KBB values on a trade.

Keep your existing car and refinance at DCU for 65 months 1.49%. Your payments will be about $425 a month. You will only pay $1,100 in interest over the life of the loan.

If you trade in a 2 year old car, you will take a huge hit on depreciation. You will take a double hit if you buy another brand new car.

If KBB value is $24,500 you may only get $22,000 on a trade. Dealers never give KBB values on a trade.

Dealers give NADA values. I have heard from several people that the trade in value are always with NADA values

Just a quick update. I test drove a couple of crossovers and SUVs and hated them all compared to my current vehicle, so I'm keeping what I have. Now if I could just get all the dealerships to stop calling me :(

Just a quick update. I test drove a couple of crossovers and SUVs and hated them all compared to my current vehicle, so I'm keeping what I have. Now if I could just get all the dealerships to stop calling me :(

get thee a google phone number for just these occasions

Im glad you're keeping the Caddy... you'd regret getting rid of it.... I like the idea of re-fi.... you could always send extra $$$$ occasionally to pay it off sooner but the obligation of the lower payment would be comfy on a daily basis

get thee a google phone number for just these occasions

Im glad you're keeping the Caddy... you'd regret getting rid of it.... I like the idea of re-fi.... you could always send extra $$$$ occasionally to pay it off sooner but the obligation of the lower payment would be comfy on a daily basis

+1 to getting a Google number

1. What is DCU?

2. This huge hit on depreciate/buy new car is confusing me. Could you explain? I am in a similar-ish situation. My lease has come to an end and am planning on buying out at end of term, and getting an auto loan to buy. Then immediately after - want to trade it in to get into a different vehicle. There is equity bc v low miles under 5k miles. The car is 3 years old. How would I get a hit in this situation?

Dealers give NADA values. I have heard from several people that the trade in value are always with NADA values

What is NADA?

National Automobile Dealers Association

And babies aren't usually a surprise. The positive pregnancy test is. But the baby, by the time it gets here, had been known about for some time...

Edited by dansamy

The last post in this topic was posted 2098 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.