Sign in to follow this  
cv91915

Which Cards Are You Closing in 2015?

You know how I feel about the SM card.

No pressure.

If you would care to share your views on the SM card, I would certainly like to hear what they are. :)

if Target doesn't budge for me in the next few months it's on the chopping block. I know it's 5% off which is the only reason I kept it open but that $200 limit is insulting.

I'm also super tempted to dump Alliant but it hasn't hit the two year mark yet so I'm keeping it in the drawer, will use it once or twice more PIF and see what happens. It's also not at the 2 year mark so it might have to stay for another year.

if Target doesn't budge for me in the next few months it's on the chopping block. I know it's 5% off which is the only reason I kept it open but that $200 limit is insulting.

Agreed: the 5% off makes the Target card very appealing. The problem is that Target seems to be super-stingy with CLIs. :(

I'm currently eyeballing the Sallie Mae MasterCard, which offers 5% back on groceries, but only on the first $250 worth. :(

None of my cards are old enough to bother closing them yet...and no one has cried that I have to many open trade lines to push me to close any yet.

But Disco, DCU and my PenFed Travel Amex are all getting locked in the safe since the potential for any (DCU and PenFed) or meaningful (Disco) CLI's is virtually non-existent at this time. At the latter end of 2015 when my reports are spotless and credit scores in the higher 7's I'll dust off the CU cards in hope for one of those mythical cli's or offers that I read about...and then lock them back in the safe because their rewards are a joke.

I've slightly changed my strategy. I will be going for one more round of CLI's on Barclays Rewards and US Air, then move limits to the US Air and close the Rewards.

^ Done...

Much more valuable martyred for a $20k US Air than as a $5k open TL.

Agreed: the 5% off makes the Target card very appealing. The problem is that Target seems to be super-stingy with CLIs. :(

I'm currently eyeballing the Sallie Mae MasterCard, which offers 5% back on groceries, but only on the first $250 worth. :(

I was talking about the Upromise SM card. I am not sure if there is a difference. Here's a link to it:

https://www.upromisemastercard.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2040&cellNumber=2&referrerid=CORPSITEBC

Nooooooo

That's not the SM card.

That's the don't-get-it-no-chance-no-how card.

Nooooooo

That's not the SM card.

oops?

Confused. Is there more than one SM card by Barclay?

Nooooooo

That's not the SM card.

oops?

Confused. Is there more than one SM card by Barclay?

Apparently. Maybe he will come back and explain.

I was talking about the Upromise SM card. I am not sure if there is a difference. Here's a link to it:

https://www.upromisemastercard.com/apply/Landing.action?campaignId=2040&cellNumber=2&referrerid=CORPSITEBC

I'm no great expert, but that card has "bogus" written all over it with that "upromise" stuff. :(

This:

https://www.salliemae.com/credit-cards/sallie-mae-card/

...is the one I had in mind.

Apart from the relatively small limits ($250 on groceries and $750 on books [read "Amazon] per month), the only other drawback I've been able to find so far is that fact that their 800 number isn't staffed 24/7. :(

I'm no great expert, but that card has "bogus" written all over it with that "upromise" stuff. :(

This:

Apart from the relatively small limits ($250 on groceries and $750 on books [read "Amazon] per month), the only other drawback I've been able to find so far is that fact that their 800 number isn't staffed 24/7. :(

Yep, that's the one I want. I dumped my Amazon store card in anticipation of apping for this in a couple of months.

This:

This is the correct one to get. My favorite go-to card for gas, groceries and "books". :good:

Nooooooo

That's not the SM card.

Is it the "don't-get-it-no-chance-no-how card" because of the upromise thing?

After reading this (admittedly old, possibly outdated) thread:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=292901

...I came away with the impression that managing the whole upromise thing is a lot of work, far more work than I am willing to plow into saving money. :wacko:

(Did I err in drawing such a conclusion?)

Edit: typo

Edited by Flashman

Nooooooo

That's not the SM card.

Is it the "don't-get-it-no-chance-no-how card" because of the upromise thing?

After reading this (admittedly old, possibly outdated) thread:

http://creditboards.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=292901

...I came away with the impression that managing the whole upromise thing is a lot of work, far more work than I am willing to plow into saving money. :wacko:

(Did I err in drawing such a conclusion?)

Edit: typo

I don't know. I don't want to lead you astray.

I have had no problems using Upromise. I guess maybe it's a personal preference? I've made almost $700 on it so far.

Still considering closing First tech CU and card. Never use them...

Is that the one based out of Oregon, Trev?

California. They were Addison Avenue Credit Union when I joined them in 2006.

Still considering closing First tech CU and card. Never use them...

Is that the one based out of Oregon, Trev?

California. They were Addison Avenue Credit Union when I joined them in 2006.

Oh, ok! Different one than what I was thinking. That is one that I did not join way back then. LOL

Another 50K line :lol:

And you want to get rid of it?

I don't use it much. Well, I haven't for a long time.

it's time to use or consider closing.

Another 50K line :lol:

And you want to get rid of it?

I don't use it much. Well, I haven't for a long time.

it's time to use or consider closing.

Put my name on it. I will help you out. :lol:

I converted my Citi AA Gold to the Citi double cash card to avoid annual fees. I plan to dump Discover IT because of the ridiculous $6500 toy

limit. I have $15K on Discover Escape (with annual fee) that I will keep if they convert it to Discover IT (no annual fee) with the same limit. If they

don't, I will dump that one as well. I may dump Sallie Mae Barclay too just because they won't give me the US Airways card (on their permanent s**t list).

Might dump Care Credit too since I have insurance now and never use it.