Sign in to follow this  
deerfern

Experian links to Social Security

Has anyone ever heard of this?

Experian and your My Social Security account is linked.

I was told that Social Security uses Experian to identify us when applying for retirement.

This is how I found out about this,

My husband is trying to go on line with Social Security. They locked him out. He called SS to reset it but they can't. The person there said even though all his information verbally given matches what SS has on him, that same information doesn't match what SS online has.

Now my dear husband hasn't pulled his credit report in, probably, 30 years or so. So I can understand why the CR's would want him to send in his info physically (state id, social security card, etc) in order to obtain his report.

But the Social Security lady said he cannot access his online social security account because something that Experian has on his file doesn't match his answers with Social Security. He confirmed everything with the lady at SS, and she agreed everything is OK and matches fine.

So, she said since Experian has something in his file we don't know about, he has to contact Experian and straighten it out with them.

I asked him if this will affect him applying for SS physically at the SS office, and he said he forgot to ask. Well, that's him, and hopefully he will call again today. I told him to start from scratch like he was trying to sign up for online access. Maybe a different person will get him a different response. It's happened to me before with banks and IT people.

So what should I do? Just write a letter to Experian with picture state id, ss card, birth certificate, and request copy of credit report? In meantime, we could be losing out on SS money. I may have to take a day off work just to drive him down there (he doesn't drive) and find out if he can even apply. All due to Experian.

So one would think, what the heck does Experian have to do with SS? But apparently the data that SS uses to identify a person is completely linked to Experian.

Any one ever had this issue, and how to fix it quickly?

I was told that Social Security uses Experian to identify us when applying for retirement.

My husband is trying to go on line with Social Security. They locked him out. He called SS to reset it but they can't. The person there said even though all his information verbally given matches what SS has on him, that same information doesn't match what SS online has.

Now my dear husband hasn't pulled his credit report in, probably, 30 years or so. So I can understand why the CR's would want him to send in his info physically (state id, social security card, etc) in order to obtain his report.

But the Social Security lady said he cannot access his online social security account because something that Experian has on his file doesn't match his answers with Social Security. He confirmed everything with the lady at SS, and she agreed everything is OK and matches fine.

So, she said since Experian has something in his file we don't know about, he has to contact Experian and straighten it out with them.

I asked him if this will affect him applying for SS physically at the SS office, and he said he forgot to ask. Well, that's him, and hopefully he will call again today. I told him to start from scratch like he was trying to sign up for online access. Maybe a different person will get him a different response. It's happened to me before with banks and IT people.

So what should I do? Just write a letter to Experian with picture state id, ss card, birth certificate, and request copy of credit report? In meantime, we could be losing out on SS money. I may have to take a day off work just to drive him down there (he doesn't drive) and find out if he can even apply. All due to Experian.

So one would think, what the heck does Experian have to do with SS? But apparently the data that SS uses to identify a person is completely linked to Experian.

They are not linked.

The Social Security Administration uses Experian as a resource to verify your identity before letting you register online for a My Social Security login. Using data that EX has on file your you, the SSA asks you a series of questions such as "At which of the following addresses have you ever been associated with?" the answers to which only you should know. After answering a few of these questions correctly, the SSA allows you to register. EX is nothing more than a vendor providing identity authentication to the SSA.

There is a way around this and that is by physically appearing at a SSA office and registering in person. Believe me, trying to contact EX to work through all this will not result in success. Ever.

They are not linked.

The Social Security Administration uses Experian as a resource to verify your identity before letting you register online for a My Social Security login. Using data that EX has on file your you, the SSA asks you a series of questions such as "At which of the following addresses have you ever been associated with?" the answers to which only you should know. After answering a few of these questions correctly, the SSA allows you to register. EX is nothing more than a vendor providing identity authentication to the SSA.

There is a way around this and that is by physically appearing at a SSA office and registering in person. Believe me, trying to contact EX to work through all this will not result in success. Ever.

:good: Correct answer there PotO! And I would also like to add that if anyone has their Experian file frozen, they will not be able to create an online account with the SSA until their Experian file is unfrozen.

^

Very true!

If EX is frozen you will not be able to create an account online.

Ok, more news. But first, Thanks to all of you!

DH called SS again and explained situation. Of course as you told me, it doesn't affect his applying for SS. He doesn't have to go in (maybe later though). He has a phone appointment in Jan., apparently they like phone appointments now. So he is all set. It is only the online account he can't access.

Just to clarify, on the answers he was asked online, he got everything right, and according to SS they are right, too. So there "shouldn't have been" a problem.

But this SS person looked it more. She said she pulled it up and told him it appears to be an issue with a bank account he had 20 years ago. 20 years ago! There were no questions about a bank 20 years ago, or anything 20 years ago.

So as long as he's set, these are two different issues. He doesn't care about his credit but I am going to try to get him to get a report from Experian. Another odd thing, when we went BK earlier this year, the Judge said BOA sent a letter saying he had a house in California somewhere. We were flabbergasted and said no way. He ripped up the letter and said, Oh, well, banks make mistakes. So we didn't get a copy, and we can't recall the city he said the house was in. I checked with BOA and his SS doesn't come up in their system so it's no identity theft issue. Still, I would like to see his CR on all 3 CB's.

Again, thanks for all of your help. I was panicking!

My dad had the same issue -- no problem with his SS record, be couldn't access the online system, because Experian insisted that he used to live in Hawaii. While the issue wasn't credit related, it took the same routine as credit repair to fix it -- calling each CRA (sometimes repeatedly) to dispute the incorrect information.

Edited by JeffeVerde

Ok, more news. But first, Thanks to all of you!

DH called SS again and explained situation. Of course as you told me, it doesn't affect his applying for SS. He doesn't have to go in (maybe later though). He has a phone appointment in Jan., apparently they like phone appointments now. So he is all set. It is only the online account he can't access.

Just to clarify, on the answers he was asked online, he got everything right, and according to SS they are right, too. So there "shouldn't have been" a problem.

But this SS person looked it more. She said she pulled it up and told him it appears to be an issue with a bank account he had 20 years ago. 20 years ago! There were no questions about a bank 20 years ago, or anything 20 years ago.

So as long as he's set, these are two different issues. He doesn't care about his credit but I am going to try to get him to get a report from Experian. Another odd thing, when we went BK earlier this year, the Judge said BOA sent a letter saying he had a house in California somewhere. We were flabbergasted and said no way. He ripped up the letter and said, Oh, well, banks make mistakes. So we didn't get a copy, and we can't recall the city he said the house was in. I checked with BOA and his SS doesn't come up in their system so it's no identity theft issue. Still, I would like to see his CR on all 3 CB's.

Again, thanks for all of your help. I was panicking!

Glad it worked out for you! :)

Probably 99% chance EX asked him a question that he answered wrong. Those security questions are usually screwed up. Once they asked me one of those multiple choice questions and 3 out of 4 possible answers were all correct!

Still, it is never -- ever -- a bad idea to get a copy of your credit reports from each bureau.

Why would EX have info from 20 years ago when stuff falls off after 7 1/2 years?

They collect address garbage from infinity and beyond. I have addresses on my EX back from my first apartment when I moved out of the house. I've gone the "address obsolete" route and it sticks. Expedia* sucks.

*Yes, I am taking the whizz here ... listening to WLW on Tuesday morning on my way to a customer I heard this so called "National Credit Expert" giving an interview talking about retail breaches and ID theft and such - and he named the three CRAs as TransUnion, MyFico, and Expedia. I. KID. YOU. NOT.

Why would EX have info from 20 years ago when stuff falls off after 7 1/2 years?

As IPP stated, they collect addresses that remain in their files forever. But there's a bit more to the picture.

Just because the FCRA states there is a shelf life on certain negative data, that in no way, shape or form means that the CRA deletes the data from its vast files. The CRAs delete absolutely NOTHING. While after 7.5 years they cannot usually -- and there are various exceptions -- report derogatory data on your credit bureau file given to a current or potential creditor, that data is retained and, along with other old non-derogatory data sold, exchanged or even retained and used by the CRAs for non-consumer credit reporting products. They also cross-index data from your relatives.

When EX is the source, two of the most common ID verification questions that pop up for me are 1) about an address I lived at in Howard County 30 years ago and B) what year the hag my brother dumped 25 years ago was born.

The CRA's have a voracious appetite for data, everything from day one is there! There is a significant difference between your credit file and what is statutorily permitted to be contained in your credit report. This is one of the reasons that consumers will dispute accounts that are nearly obsolete as "not mine" instead of obsolete.

Ok, sounds great.

So how do I get an old address from over 30 years ago reinserted? To get my money back from when I lived there, need it as proof per government rules!

Ok, sounds great.

So how do I get an old address from over 30 years ago reinserted? To get my money back from when I lived there, need it as proof per government rules!

And yes they are asking me for the birth month of my ex's sister (divorced over 25 years ago). I don't remember her nor do I care! I guessed a few times which locked me out once. What a bummer.

Edited by deerfern