Midland Deleted My T-Mobile Tradeline

The last post in this topic was posted 2408 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I just got a Midland tradeline deleted from my credit reports.

I first submitted a DV and Midland quickly validated (the debt was legit). I called Midland to settle* -- I offered to pay in full ($200) if Midland agreed to delete the tradeline from my 3 credit reports. They refused, saying they would only update the tradeline to paid in full.

I ended up walking into a brick and mortar T-Mobile store and asking to check on the status of an old account I had with them. The T-Mobile agent told me the account had been sold to a CA, but I asked if he could call customer service and see if I could pay the account right there in full. After a quick call, corporate agreed, and I walked out with a paid in full receipt showing my account number, phone number, address, and name on the account.

I faxed a letter and receipt to Midland disputing the charges as already paid in full to T-Mobile and demanding they delete the their three reported negative tradelines from my credit report.

I was denied via mail.

I called Midland and asked them to explain the denial. I again explained my dispute verbally. After a few minutes on hold, Midland's customer service representative told me they agreed with my dispute and were going to be deleting the tradelines.

The entire process took 15 days.

A few takeaways: I read tons of horror stories about Midland on these boards. If you can afford it, I think (when trying to delete T-Mobile related tradelines with Midlands) this method is the easiest way to do it. After Midland agreed to delete, I filed a dispute with the three CRA and it speeds up the process of the change showing up on your credit report.

*Many people say not to call their consumer support, but if you let them know you are recording the conversation and you're knowledgable about your FCRA rights, I have always found disputing faster via phone.

Attempting to pay OC is always a good move! It worked for me before! Twice!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Even after the account has been sold to a JDB?

What if I paid the OC but the CA/JDB still refuses to delete? Is that a legit dispute since technically the JDB owns the account at this point? I ask because I have the same situation with a different JDB and VZW. It's a small debt and nothing else is working. I'd rather pay the OC at this point, but I just can't tell if that will hold when trying to the the JDB to delete.

Edited by JuJuNola

I would think you would run the risk of getting it updater as a paid collection

On the tradeline from the JDB?

The OC tradeline isn't listed anymore, so if I paid them I'd think that be it.

The risk I'm worried about is, since the OC no longer owns the account, but is still willing to accept payment, what recourse/dispute do I have with the JDB since technically they own it, supposedly? Would I have standing to make them delete or would I run the risk of having to pay twice (VZW and JDB for PFD)?

I know for sure VZW no longer owns it.

Edited by JuJuNola

I would think you would run the risk of getting it updater as a paid collection

On the tradeline from the JDB?

The OC tradeline isn't listed anymore, so if I paid them I'd think that be it.

The risk I'm worried about is, since the OC no longer owns the account, but is still willing to accept payment, what recourse/dispute do I have with the JDB since technically they own it, supposedly? Would I have standing to make them delete or would I run the risk of having to pay twice (VZW and JDB for PFD)?

I know for sure VZW no longer owns it.

I'm in the same boat with a JDB reporting a VZW CA. Did you talk with VZW and they said they would accept payment? I think in a perfect world, in theory, if you had a paid receipt from VZW that would be enough to compel the CRA's to delete the JDB tradeline. I'm just not sure I'm willing to risk the JDB tradeline being updated as a paid CA, even though in theory, I don't think it would.

Verzion will not contact the CRA to delete the tradeline. They don't have the authority to do it, only the CA can delete / update their tradelines. You can ask for them to contact the CA and tell them about the updated payment history of the account (T-Mobile did offer to do this for me).

All that being said -- I would give the method a shot. When you write your letter remember to write "you're disputing the charges as already paid". Include the receipt of payment to T-Mobile and write that the attached documents prove the account is "paid in full". Finally, ask for the CA to deleted their reporting from your credit reports.

Dollars to donuts, they are going to delete the tradline. I have a feeling when cellular OC's sell these accounts off, they probably have a provision where they reserve the right to re-buy the accounts.

Good luck! Let us all know how it goes. If you want to see the letters I used, shoot me a PM.

The last post in this topic was posted 2408 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By kkk1
      I have two collection accts. with Midland. One is for $870 and the other for $940 or so. I have disputed (the original amounts were incorrect) and they came back corrected and verified. Should I attempt PFD? If that's a no-go, should I PIF or just try to settle for a lesser amount. They send me offers every few months to settle for around $540 each. It's another 3 years before they SOL is up and I'd like to get them off/paid before then so I can get my credit back in order.
    • By bigcreditmess
      Just a note:
      I've already opted out, I've requested old addresses to be removed, I've ordered paper reports - I do have a TU from online as a 'summary' for now.

Today I received a letter from Midland/MCM that they are the new owner of my Credit One credit card with a balance of $648.17. I'm about 120 days
      behind and I guess they sold it. I do owe the money.

That said....the letter states they are the new owner and considering forwarding this account for possible litigation. If they don't hear from me by 12/15 they'll proceed.

To stop from continuing I need to mail $300 or call to see if I qualify for discounts or payment plans.

Then at the bottom it says "we will not report your debt to the credit bureaus if you set up a payment plan, make a payment by 1/31/15 and make all payments as agreed."

Thoughts??
    • By david_weaver
      Had a collection with Midland pop up for an old Orchard Bank card. Account was outside SOL, sent FOAD letter.

Below is the response I received:
      ___________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Dear David,
      The purpose of this letter is to advise you that you did not provide sufficient information to investigate your dispute of the credit reporting of your above-referenced account pursuant to the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

We understand you are disputing the accuracy of our records concerning the above referenced account. After reviewing the information you provided, as well our own account notes, and information provided by the previous creditor, we are unable to determine the nature of your dispute, and consequently deny that our records are incorrect.

In order to further investigate your dispute, we need additional information to help verify the basis of your dispute. Including a complete explanation of your dispute would be helpful. Further, copies of any documentation you may have to support your dispute. In the interim, we have requested that the three major credit bureaus change the status of this account to “Disputed”.

Examples of documentation we need or which would be helpful include the following:

Paid in Full or Account Settled: a) a copy of the front and back of payment instrument with copy of settlement offer or statement showing balance and account number; a copy of the paid in full or settlement letter showing account number.

Fraud or Identity Theft: a) a copy of a police report; Federal Trade Commission Fraud Affadavit that has been filled out (which can be obtained at www.ftc.gov/idtheft); or c) notarized fraud affidavit.

Balance Discrepancy: a) copy of contract that states rates for time frame of disputed service; a copy of bills or statements that show amount owed or rates; c) a more detailed explanation of disputed charges.

In the meantime, as requested by you, we will no longer be contacting you regarding this account by phone or mail unless it is to further respond to a dispute by you under the Fair Credit Reporting Act.

The account may still be reported on your credit report as unpaid.
      _____________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So at this point, not sure what to do next. In the past, if one of these pesky ghosts popped up, a good slap always sent them scurrying back into the gutter. This time, Midland did as they said, and updated the listing with the three CRAs.

Any suggestions?

Thanks,
      Dave

• By david_weaver
      I was preparing to send a FOAD letter to Midland regarding an old HSBC account. The DOFD was May 2009.

What worries me is I currently reside in Maine, where SOL is 6 years.

HSBC account was Nevada (4 Years). HSBC accounts were acquired by CapOne in Virginia (3 years). I was living in Pennsylvania when the account was opened (4 years).

Surely moving to a state with a longer SOL, after the SOL had already passed, does not suddenly reopen the window for litigation?

How do I know what applies?

• By AnnMichele
      I had another post but thought it may be best to start a new one with this information.

I disputed Midland's collection on my TU report and this is what is now written as a note:

"Account information disputed by consumer (Meets requirement of the Fair Credit Reporting Act)."

So basically they verfied the debt but that doesn't mean that it's validated correct? I could send them a DV letter? I'm still reading up on boards every chance I get. This debt is the only negative on two of my reports (besides some late fees).

Midland is currently NOT showing on my EQ report (that one appears to be my cleanest) and this what is listed on my EX:

MIDLAND FUNDING Potential Negative Closed Account Name: MIDLAND FUNDING Account #: XXXXX Balance: $140 Date Opened: 8/1/2011 Account Status: Closed Payment Status: Seriously past due date / assigned to attorney, collection agency, or credit grantor's internal collection department At this point, I'm little lost. I have been reading anything and everything regarding them and DV and PFD. In this case they seemed to have have closed the account but on my TU report it is open. I just would love to have some advice on what my next step should be. How can the account be closed AND be opened at the same time?? What in the world do I do now?

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    MyraC

Important Information

Guidelines