Sign in to follow this  
mj

Diners Club Resurrection (new consumer card)

Amazing they still haven't relaunched it.

Something must have bit them on the flowers on the initial launch.

It comes with an annual fee that somehow keeps getting credited back to my account for the 2nd year. ( I hope no one at Diners reads Creditboards)

I had to call last week to activate my new card (old one expires next month) and throughout the conversation I was afraid she would tell me that they mistakenly credited the annual fee back to my account.

For a card with a decent credit limit that gives 3 points at grocery stores and has a very small (lol) annual fee, offers primary auto rental coverage, and a few other perks, I don't get why anyone wouldn't want this card.

I take a trip down to Mexico city 2 times a year and its my go to card for almost everything. On this last trip last week I discovered an really nice perk, its actually available to anyone with a World Elite Mastercard credit card.

Elite Lounge Mastercard at the Mexico city Airport. It is no Centurion lounge but it beats waiting for an hour at your gate. Complemetary food and drinks, plenty of TV's and good service. It was an hr well spent.

Elite Lounge Mastercard at the Mexico city Airport. It is no Centurion lounge but it beats waiting for an hour at your gate. Complemetary food and drinks, plenty of TV's and good service. It was an hr well spent.

Did you check out the Centurion Lounge in MEX?

Link to info on U.S. Diners Club cards issued by BMO Harris. Currently no new applications: https://www.dinersclubus.com/home/consumer-cards

Aren't these just MasterCards with some extended benefits with an annual fee? It's nothing I would jump at, but that's just me.

Still listing: Our Consumer card application is unavailable while we make improvements

I really wonder what is going on here??? And not to be pedantic, but DC is technically NOT a MasterCard, however the DC card does operate on the MasterCard network.

Edited by Rogue

Link to info on U.S. Diners Club cards issued by BMO Harris. Currently no new applications: https://www.dinersclubus.com/home/consumer-cards

Aren't these just MasterCards with some extended benefits with an annual fee? It's nothing I would jump at, but that's just me.

Still listing: Our Consumer card application is unavailable while we make improvements

I really wonder what is going on here??? And not to be pedantic, but DC is technically NOT a MasterCard, however the DC card does operate on the MasterCard network.

If that is the network it runs on, how do you figure that it is 'not' a mastercard? The network used seems to be how credit cards are categorized in this manner...

For comparison, JCB, UnionPay, Amex, Discover, etc all have their own payment networks and thus do not run on Visa or Mastercard's networks, such that they are not called visas or Mastercards.

If that is the network it runs on, how do you figure that it is 'not' a mastercard? The network used seems to be how credit cards are categorized in this manner...

For comparison, JCB, UnionPay, Amex, Discover, etc all have their own payment networks and thus do not run on Visa or Mastercard's networks, such that they are not called visas or Mastercards.

It looks like a MasterCard to me. Numbered like a MasterCard, has the MasterCard logo, and so on. I think it's a MasterCard, but I could be wrong. If I go to Taco Bell and see someone eating a burger from McDonald's inside, I must be at McDonald's.

I believe that they were in over their head, and suspended applications for the duration of their contract with Diners Club, at which point someone else will get the franchise.

I have used the Lounges at Aruba Airport and at Miami (Avianca Lounge) without any problems. That is a great feature!. I have the Premier.

Did you check out the Centurion Lounge in MEX?

Don't have an Amex. 5 years into my BK7. I don't think they'll give me one for another 5 more.

UPDATE:

Just for the hell of it, I called Diners Club this week and I also wanted to mess with them a bit, LOL!

I called the 800-234-6377 number and experienced a wait time of over seven minutes while subjected to their elevator music, all for the joy of speaking with a Diners Club offshorian....

Mind you, the Diners Club web site still has this message: "Our Consumer card application is unavailable while we make improvements"

So I asked what kind of improvements take three years and if there is a continuing plastic shortage, which was definitely lost in translation. Bear in mind this is coming from an offshore frontline CSR, however I was told that the plan is to NOT ever issue any more personal Diners Club cards and eventually only issue Business/Corporate Diners Club cards. I then asked why the web site has not been updated with this info and the guy exclaimed he was not in charge of the web site, LOL!

I wonder what Discover thinks about their Diners Club license agreement with BMO Harris and their performance thus far with the Diners Club card. Somehow I don't think this is what Discover bargained for, but who knows? Maybe Discover intends to convert their entire credit card portfolio into Diners Club cards to enhance card acceptance for their existing customers. :rofl:

PS: Many cool images of vintage Diners Club cards: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/408279522451038525/

Edited by Rogue

On a related note. Last month a UPS next day envelope arrived with my renewal Diners Club Mastercard. Apparently, they are still issuing them to the account holders that got in during the rollout period who haven't been shut down. :)

Edited by direct

On a related note. Last month a UPS next day envelope arrived with my renewal Diners Club Mastercard. Apparently, they are still issuing them to the account holders that got in during the rollout period who haven't been shut down. :)

Thanks for the input, I figure that until some drastic change occurs, the personal Diners Club cards will continue to renew....

UPDATE:

Just for the hell of it, I called Diners Club this week and I also wanted to mess with them a bit, LOL!

I called the 800-234-6377 number and experienced a wait time of over seven minutes while subjected to their elevator music, all for the joy of speaking with a Diners Club offshorian....

Mind you, the Diners Club web site still has this message: "Our Consumer card application is unavailable while we make improvements"

So I asked what kind of improvements take three years and if there is a continuing plastic shortage, which was definitely lost in translation. Bear in mind this is coming from an offshore frontline CSR, however I was told that the plan is to NOT ever issue any more personal Diners Club cards and eventually only issue Business/Corporate Diners Club cards. I then asked why the web site has not been updated with this info and the guy exclaimed he was not in charge of the web site, LOL!

I wonder what Discover thinks about their Diners Club license agreement with BMO Harris and their performance thus far with the Diners Club card. Somehow I don't think this is what Discover bargained for, but who knows? Maybe Discover intends to convert their entire credit card portfolio into Diners Club cards to enhance card acceptance for their existing customers. :rofl:

PS: Many cool images of vintage Diners Club cards: https://www.pinterest.com/pin/408279522451038525/

FWIW, I've had more than one web site product manager take help desk calls from end users for a couple of hours. It changes their perspective.

Thanks for the input, I figure that until some drastic change occurs, the personal Diners Club cards will continue to renew....

I just got my renewal annual fee today. I am not paying $95 for a credit card I never use (I didn't make a single purchase on it all year). I only kept it open because it had a $40K limit and I was hoping one day it would be useful. Today my practicality won out over my optimism. She did mention that I would not be able to re-open the account nor reapply for the card, so that is in line with what others noted above about not issuing personal cards any longer.

Edited by CTSoxFan

I just got my renewal annual fee today. I am not paying $95 for a credit card I never use (I didn't make a single purchase on it all year). I only kept it open because it had a $40K limit and I was hoping one day it would be useful. Today my practicality won out over my optimism. She did mention that I would not be able to re-open the account nor reapply for the card, so that is in line with what others noted above about not issuing personal cards any longer.

:good:

The premium card seems like it would have been good to M$ to transfer for Starpoints, but that doesn't seem to be possible.

Would an upgrade to the Diners Club Elite @ $300 work for you? I have not really looked at the Elite benefits since the web site still states:

Our Consumer card application is unavailable while we make improvements

No interest. I am not into efforted MS and would rather use earn MRs for my spending.

Edited by CTSoxFan

Would an upgrade to the Diners Club Elite @ $300 work for you? I have not really looked at the Elite benefits since the web site still states:

Our Consumer card application is unavailable while we make improvements

:lol:

I was one of the early approvals with $20k SL. I've kept it open for 2+ years with little use and decided I'd close it this time around. The rep offered to waive the AF so I bit. Almost a month went by and the AF was never credited. Called back and no record of my account being credited. They ended up honoring the request and credited my account. It lives for now

Still waiting for the relaunch...... :crickets:

Shame they’re no longer offering any personal cards. That brand used to be a status symbol years ago. Now I don’t know where you could even use a card, if you could actually even acquire one.