Sign in to follow this  
mj

Diners Club Resurrection (new consumer card)

Just noticed this when I logged in to pay my Professional card ... BMO Harris has launched new "consumer" cards...

https://www.dinersclubus.com/home/consumer-cards

I use mine as a charge card and PIF every month, but the consumer cards look like they will allow revolving - at 13.15%. Not great, but for a rewards card earning points, it's not all bad either. The big advantage with their rewards points is that you can send the points into your existing mileage accounts - Aeroplan, Alaska, Amtrack, Best Western, British Airways, Thai, Hawaiian, Choice Hotels, Delta, ElAl, Eva, Frontier, Hilton, Hyatt, Iceland Air, IHG, Marriott, SAS, South African Air, Southwest, SPG, and Virgin Atlantic. Sometimes they offer bonuses - so 20k miles from your rewards account to Delta can becomes 24k miles. Again, nothing to write home about, but it does allow you to "top off" an account when you are a few miles short of a reward. They also have travel packages and all of the other catalog-types of goodies.

$95 AF (+ for AU) on the "world" card and $300 (+ for AU) for the "elite" card which earns 3x points on groceries, pharmacy, gas. Plus the other DC goodies - airport lounge (very VERY limited) access, primary rental car coverage, etc. It also looks like these cards have $0 FTF (vs 3% for the Professional cards).

Not sure this is anything to "write home about" - but it's their first foray back into the consumer space in North America in about a decade.

I'll stick with what I have- but it will be interesting to see what they do with existing Professional cardholders - try to get us to move to the consumer card or leave us alone. I've had mine for 20 years.

Edited by mj

I thought Discover owned Diners Club.

Discover does own Diners Club, but they franchise or license card issuance to various banks/companies throughout the world. So BMO/Harris Bank has the Canadian and USA licence and issue the cards.

so they pull EX??? Also, burned them in 2008 and they just stopped calling/ writing- disappeared from my universe. Never had a JDB call me. Do you think I am still on their blacklist? It was diners then diners MC... thought it was Citi for some reason.. anyone remember? my stuff is in storage but I could check next weekend. I had a BIG a/c since 1980. would love to get D* as long as I don't get a new IOU+... any information or assumptions welcome!

Thank you so much. That is fabulous. so, they are open for business. Do they date their cards? mine used to show membership date.

I apped. They pulled TU.

would you share your TU score and your CL if it was approved, please? there is nothing on Credit Pulls that I could find

TU08: 768

High income, highest TL 30k. 1 INQ on TU in last 12 months. I don't B*.

Not instantly approved.

Someone on MF had a 25k approval with a 702 and 12 INQs so... Not sure if there is a pattern.

Since it's TU though... :)

Edited by pbarnes

so they pull EX??? Also, burned them in 2008 and they just stopped calling/ writing- disappeared from my universe. Never had a JDB call me. Do you think I am still on their blacklist? It was diners then diners MC... thought it was Citi for some reason.. anyone remember? my stuff is in storage but I could check next weekend. I had a BIG a/c since 1980. would love to get D* as long as I don't get a new IOU+... any information or assumptions welcome!

Diners was owned by Citibank in 2008 so it could be possible that Citi took the hit and not BMO Harris.

that is what I remember and what I posted on another Diners Club posting site here.. a month or so back.

Considering that I ended up hiring a lawyer to deal with Card act violations on my citicard, I will consider this due payment.

Would love to know if they will back date it... That would be a hoot. I had it for almost 35 years. When I grew up there was Diners, Amex, store cards, and finally Master Charge.. That was considered radical. Most stores had their own cards, truly their own, no bank, and the better department stores would send their own trucks to deliver packages the same day in NYC. No ups exc. mailorder stuff.

and of course,there was a milkman who delivered milk, eggs, cheese,and cream into a stainless steel box with a top that insulated the contents. It would be there when you woke up for "breakfast", back when most people cooked breakfast.. Ah, those were the days.

Edited by mizliz1011

I don't think they will *D. I think Amex is the only one that does that and besides the Diners Club portfolio had changed hands.

it used to state how many years you had been a member with each new card.

Oh, my, that could have created a mass app for oldsters...from CB!

wouldn't it be a hoot. doubt that there are tons of old time DC users here... suprised that you have not had more posts however...

For anyone thinking of applying for this: Freeze EX first.

I was initially HP'ed on TU... Then 2 days later on EX.

Grrrr.

Grrrr.

I wonder why the second pull days later? Was it an instant approval or just pending?

I applied yesterday morning (went pending). Called last night about 8 pm. I hope what the CSR said was true. She seemed to stumble through the screens , but said I was approved for 15k. Severa1 20-35k limits reporting , but in last 6 months I think 5 new accounts reporting, only 1 inq. My Fico 760. With all the new accounts happy with the 15k Elite. TU only pull so far.

BMO Harris does pull Experian. They don't do instant approval. You need to wait after applying online. With BMO, I applied for a Visa card (now a Mastercard since they switched) earlier this year. I already had a checking account with them. They initially denied me saying "they couldn't verify my address." After calling them, they figured things out and issued me a 5K credit line. While processing all of this, they did two hard inquiries on Experian on different days. I asked them to remove one. Both ended up being removed. No complaints about that. :)

Edited by Burgerwars

Grrrr.

I wonder why the second pull days later? Was it an instant approval or just pending?

Got the 7-15 day message (which according to CSR is approval pending review).

There's another 5-7 day message which is an instant denial.

We'll see what turns up. :)