Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

How do you handle people on the street who beg?

The last post in this topic was posted 2158 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Mental illness is a choice? Is cancer a choice? Should advertisements recruiting for the Army have a health warning like the ones for cigarettes do?

Edited by mk_378

How is his PTSD a choice? Or are you faulting him for signing up to serve his country? What, he should have known he'd suffer from PTSD only to come home to a country that can't/won't help him and that he'd be left with a debilitating mental illness and no way to drag himself out of his situation? That's right, shame on him! He certainly deserves to be treated less than human after all, he made a choice!

I'm sure its easy to sit up on your ivory tower in a place of financial security and say you made the right choices so you are well off and everyone else is at fault for their own poverty but that is blind to reality and incredibly tone deaf. From what I recall from your posts you were raised with financial security, you received a childhood of security, prosperity and good fortune. None of those were your choices. But they did set you up to make choices that aren't available to everyone.

My neighbor didn't "make a choice" to be born with a severe learning disability in a country with a public school system ill equipped to handle that, and into a family that could not afford private education. Therefore it is not his "choice" that he works low paying jobs because he cannot get the education or skills to earn higher paying jobs. What, exactly, was his "choice" in being poor?

Leaving aside the beggars that fraudsters, there are many people that do need help. The problem is how to do this without making the problem worse.

There's always a tension between helping people to become more independent and self sufficient and helping people in such a way that their dependence on others increases. It's pretty much inevitable that a predictable source of "free" income or goods will produce dependence. This is pretty much true for all of us. No idea what the answer is or even if there is one. There is a reason for the saying "The Road to Hell is Paved with Good Intentions."

amazed at how many people assume and/or are prejudiced enough to think most begging ont he street are hustlers and not really needy in some way...

I "handle" each situation on a case by case basis.... I most often never carry cash.... I will offer food, coffee, hot tea, etc if Im headed to a fast food joint... sometimes I do nothing but keep walking....I wouldnt be opposed to buying a vagrant a can of beer if thats what he asked for...who am I to judge?

:swoon:

Back when I worked for the Sheriff's office we had a crazy guy that made the rounds (outside of course) checking out the trash cans for food and soda and hit the outside ashtrays for any partially smoked ciggies. He was fast - I think he had a specific route he took each day...always muttering to himself....I have a feeling that we were just ghosts on his peripheral. If I were outside for a smoke, I'd grab a cigarette out of the pack and hand it out to him. Around the holidays I'd give him a pack.

Yeah, not good for him, but it was a small kindness. No big.

There is always going to be folks who are at this rung of the ladder; it's been that way from ancient times.

sometimes this is permanent, sometimes it's just temporary low point

best we can do is pay taxes, supporting local charities, and the public assistance which offers food and shelter and hopefully offers a way out.

for dealing with beggars on the street, it's pretty obvious which ones are there temporarily, and which ones are doomed to stay.

some folks carry about a case of water in the summer when it's hot in Phx, and hand it out to the corner guys at stops.

There is always going to be folks who are at this rung of the ladder; it's been that way from ancient times.

sometimes this is permanent, sometimes it's just temporary low point

best we can do is pay taxes, supporting local charities, and the public assistance which offers food and shelter and hopefully offers a way out.

for dealing with beggars on the street, it's pretty obvious which ones are there temporarily, and which ones are doomed to stay.

some folks carry about a case of water in the summer when it's hot in Phx, and hand it out to the corner guys at stops.

Best idea I've heard... Phoenix in the summer isn't far removed from Hell.

Edited by cashnocredit

I'm a nun.

Help.

Interesting choice as a nun would be last on the list to judge the poor.

My wife works daily with veterans and other folks who have fallen through the cracks. There is no shortage of veterans who need assistance of some sort to become employable again but don't qualify due to some bureaucratic technicality. Some of them are homeless. It's a legit problem and IMHO a black eye on us for allowing it to happen.

I give my money to the local food bank, charity and my church. And when they approach me- that is what I tell them. There is help for people out there if they seek it. But most of the times- case is used for drugs. Sorry- I can't support that lifestyle.

I'm a nun.

Help.

My wife works daily with veterans and other folks who have fallen through the cracks. There is no shortage of veterans who need assistance of some sort to become employable again but don't qualify due to some bureaucratic technicality. Some of them are homeless. It's a legit problem and IMHO a black eye on us for allowing it to happen.

I know some judgmental nuns. That's a pretty broad brush you have there, painting every nun as the same person.

I give my money to the local food bank, charity and my church. And when they approach me- that is what I tell them. There is help for people out there if they seek it. But most of the times- case is used for drugs. Sorry- I can't support that lifestyle.

Help is not always available to those that seek it through traditional means. Many churches require membership or sobriety for assistance (as do many shelters). Which of course most people will say "join and stay off drugs and alcohol" but that is very easy to say when you aren't in their shoes. Addiction is a mouse and can't always be kicked just because you're hungry and cold and religion is, well, it is complicated for many. Food banks are great but not really setup to help homeless as many items donated require some method of preparation (or at least a can opener to open the cans). Heck in a city like mine where we take care of the poor to a higher degree than most we only have one soup kitchen. And it is only open 2 days a week.

Also, you aren't supporting that lifestyle. That "lifestyle" doesn't go away when people stop giving them money. It will find a way. You are helping a person. A human.

I'm a nun.

Help.

I know some judgmental nuns. That's a pretty broad brush you have there, painting every nun as the same person.

Then you know some nuns that are really disrespecting their vows and should have a visit with their local leadership.

Help is not always available to those that seek it through traditional means. Many churches require membership or sobriety for assistance (as do many shelters). Which of course most people will say "join and stay off drugs and alcohol" but that is very easy to say when you aren't in their shoes. Addiction is a mouse and can't always be kicked just because you're hungry and cold and religion is, well, it is complicated for many. Food banks are great but not really setup to help homeless as many items donated require some method of preparation (or at least a can opener to open the cans). Heck in a city like mine where we take care of the poor to a higher degree than most we only have one soup kitchen. And it is only open 2 days a week.

Also, you aren't supporting that lifestyle. That "lifestyle" doesn't go away when people stop giving them money. It will find a way. You are helping a person. A human.

I'm a nun.

Help.

Then you know some nuns that are really disrespecting their vows and should have a visit with their local leadership.

Life is very frustrating for people who want a world full of always and never. You can't save everyone.

That is great .Labyrinthine,.. that you are doing what you can.

I refuse to give anyone money to buy drugs. Illicit drugs are about crimes, gangs, child abuse/neglect, murders and the filth of this world. I am sorry someone choose drugs to solve their problems. I support places that can help them get refuge when they want it, but I can’t support and won’t support their bad choices with cash to continue their use. Am I stopping drug use- nope- but I won't suppport it either.

You never know when the shoe could be on the other foot.

I don't judge and could care less what they do with the money , it makes me feel good , and I do help them when I can .

The universe has been plenty kind to me.

Good for you. I do the same. It's a small area here and we don't see many of the professional panhandlers. Maybe the few that do exist are scamming me, maybe they are really in need. I don't know, that's for their conscience to deal with.

I'd prefer someone have a few bucks they didn't need than to briskly walk past someone who hasn't eaten today.

Same. I'd rather give money to 3,000 beggars who didn't really need it than miss the one person who really did.

That is great .Labyrinthine,.. that you are doing what you can.

I refuse to give anyone money to buy drugs. Illicit drugs are about crimes, gangs, child abuse/neglect, murders and the filth of this world. I am sorry someone choose drugs to solve their problems. I support places that can help them get refuge when they want it, but I can’t support and won’t support their bad choices with cash to continue their use. Am I stopping drug use- nope- but I won't suppport it either.

But you don't know that is what they are buying with it. They might be buying food. They might be paying for meager shelter.

And your comment about choosing drugs to solve their problems only illustrates you know nothing of addiction. Addiction is not a choice and once it grabs hold of you, you no longer "choose" drugs, they choose you.

But I guess the important lesson here is you are better than them. Good to know. I hope extreme poverty never befalls you. No one should have to learn the hard way the lows a human will sink to when they have nothing left to lose.

Edited by Labyrinthine

Yeah, I was painting outside and had the roller handy. :grin:

I'm sure there are some judgmental nuns. In fact I remember some being very judgmental and backing it up with a yardstick when I was a kid in Catholic school.

But nuns not following their own teachings really wasn't the main point here.

Life is very frustrating for people who want a world full of always and never. You can't save everyone.

Yeah it is and no you can't. But you try anyway. Truth is you can't change anything at all unless the person in trouble wants to make a change and sometimes they just don't. So you feed them and hope they make a better decision tomorrow.

Hey, that's close to where I live! There are a lot of pro's around here though the best gigs are at the light just off the La Jolla Village exit at UCSD down the road apiece. Very entrepreneurial young woman, Probably pays more than hooking. Especially in an upscale community like Encinitas.

I'm thinking there needs to be an app for that. Something that helps these poor "homeless" folks find the hot spots. Sort of an Uber for bums. Hi tech, baby! Put Americans back to work.

Hey, that's close to where I live! There are a lot of pro's around here though the best gigs are at the light just off the La Jolla Village exit at UCSD down the road apiece. Very entrepreneurial young woman, Probably pays more than hooking. Especially in an upscale community like Encinitas.

I'm thinking there needs to be an app for that. Something that helps these poor "homeless" folks find the hot spots. Sort of an Uber for bums. Hi tech, baby! Put Americans back to work.

"I noticed they grabbed their little boy and they got into a Mercedes Benz," Smith said. "I thought, 'Wow, a Mercedes Benz. It's not even used -- it's not old. It's a new Benz.'"

If you look at the photo, the car is an E320, which I think was replaced by the E350 in the 2006 model year. It's at least a nine-year-old car.

"I noticed they grabbed their little boy and they got into a Mercedes Benz," Smith said. "I thought, 'Wow, a Mercedes Benz. It's not even used -- it's not old. It's a new Benz.'"

If you look at the photo, the car is an E320, which I think was replaced by the E350 in the 2006 model year. It's at least a nine-year-old car.

That explains it! You know how expensive service is on out of warrantee Mercs.

That explains it! You know how expensive service is on out of warrantee Mercs.

No kidding.

Funny you should note that, since I learned about this story because it was posted on FB by my old independent MB mechanic.

Yeah, it's an old Mercedes. However, the point stands. The good majority of "beggars" do it for the attention, not because they need it. I usually wave, snap a picture, and mock them on social media from my car.

Yeah, it's an old Mercedes. However, the point stands. The good majority of "beggars" do it for the attention, not because they need it. I usually wave, snap a picture, and mock them on social media from my car.

I wish I could locate the article that was posted last year.... spoke of a homeless shelter & soup kitchen that had Mercedes & other high end cars parked nearby..almost on a daily basis...everything isn't what it seems to the bigoted, judgmental eye

The last post in this topic was posted 2158 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.