Sign in to follow this  
Mike2006

Class Action against Experian

I received a notice today, of a class action law suit against Experian. If you disputed information on your Experian report on or after December 26, 2010 and received a response refusing to act because you did NOT include a full SSN as follows.

"We were unable to process one or more of your request(s) to dispute information on your personal credit report because you did not provide your Social Security number. The type of dispute that you submitted requires a Social Security number. Please write to us and provide:

a) your full name, including middle initial

B) previous addresses for the past two years

c) Social Security number

d) date of birth

e) one copy of a government issued identification card

f) one copy of a utility bill

Resubmit your disputes and state the specific reason you believe the information is inaccurate. We will process your request promptly one we receive this information."

I remember receiving this response and thinking, this is identity theft waiting to happen. Apparently Experian has never lost anything in the mail. I never sent them my information.

If this has happened to you and or you are interested in this, go to www.JamesExperianSettlement.com.

They are offering Free premium Credit Monitoring Product for three years and a Dedicated Dispute Process for class members (90 days) and of course change their dispute procedures.

Edited by Mike2006

I received mine today as well and contemplating whether I should reach out to my attorney to get her take on whether I should exclude and pursue on my own.

The class consist of 58, 261 consumers.

If one chooses to stay in the class, they are offered the following:

1. A dedicated phone number and address for class members to send their disputes. They will be a part of a "dedicated dispute process" for 90 days once the settlement is final.
  2. Experian will agree to change its dispute process where a SS # isn't required
  3. Experian will provide free premium Credit Monitoring Analysis for 3 years which includes unlimited Experian credit reports, alerts for inquiries and adress changes, monthly score analysis, etc.

So pretty much a whole bunch of nothing, IMO.

Edited by JuJuNola

Sign on now or you'll miss out on a $2 check! :lol:

Don't expect any money from a class action lawsuit, but sign on to get EX to teach EX a lesson.

Sign on now or you'll miss out on a $2 check! :lol:

Don't expect any money from a class action lawsuit, but sign on to get EX to teach EX a lesson.

Pretty much. They're promising to do things they should already be doing anyways (minus the free credit monitoring).

I don't have the response anymore, so my only proof that this happened is my notice of settlement. I don't know the law, but I do know you need evidence to sue. I'll take the three years of free credit report monitoring, It's better than nothing and it has to be better than the free version of credit sesame, which is all I got for Experian right now.

I don't have the response anymore, so my only proof that this happened is my notice of settlement. I don't know the law, but I do know you need evidence to sue. I'll take the three years of free credit report monitoring, It's better than nothing and it has to be better than the free version of credit sesame, which is all I got for Experian right now.

I'm wondering, because they can tell certain people received a copy of this specific type of letter, could an attorney obtain a copy for you. I have no idea, so it's a question I pose to our experienced & knowledgeable members. I mentioned in my earlier post, out of all the consumers Experian deals with, the class action gave a specific number of consumers who received this letter; 58, 261.

Like you, I doubt I still have the letter. I wasn't smart enough to keep it because I didn't think it was anything against the FCRA. I'll look through all my papers though, maybe I'll get lucky.

Edited by JuJuNola

I'm wondering what the difference between "Statutory and Punitive Damages" and "Actual Damages." The notice said we can still sue for "Actual Damages", even if we are a member of the class. The "Statutory and Punitive Damages" seems to be what Experian is afraid of. And you have to exclude yourself in order to retain your rights to sue for that.

I dunno, dedicated dispute process will come in handy in the near future for me. Three years of unlimited credit monitoring is sweet. I'm in. I see no requirement to "prove" Experian sent you the request for information.

Bump. Does anyone know if we'd need our rejection letter as evidence if one decided to exclude and pursue individually or could an attorney obtain a copy from Experian?

I went to the website, and it says that they will pay for an attorney to work your dispute? Am I reading this right?

Note: If you would prefer not to dispute directly to Experian yourself, the settlement also provides you with the right to have an attorney assist you, free of charge, with your dispute through this process. You may receive help from an attorney with your credit dispute by sending an email toexperiansettlement@clalegal.com.

Where are the people located that are getting the cards? Where is mine?

Tommy

Edited by Leykis101grad

I dunno, dedicated dispute process will come in handy in the near future for me. Three years of unlimited credit monitoring is sweet. I'm in. I see no requirement to "prove" Experian sent you the request for information.

Hey Secret, doesn't that sound a whole lot like a "special handler" which folks don't seem to like on CB? I'm really asking, because I'm thinking of accepting.

Edited by JuJuNola

Hey Mike, I asked an atty their thoughts on if it was worth pursuing, especially because I didn't have the letter and I was told getting the letter wouldn't be all that hard. The bigger issue would be whether the claim (refusing to process dispute w\o socials) in the class action is valid. Just because they're settling doesn't mean their guilty.

I was told it'd be like the FDCPA where we'd get $1000 for the FCRA violation.

I'm bumping because I was curious to see if anyone's taken advantage of the "dedicated dispute process" yet. Or if anyone emailed the attorneys handling the settlement and let them handle your dispute for you.

From the settlement notice:

Note: If you would prefer not to dispute directly to Experian yourself, the settlement also provides you with the right to have an attorney assist you, free of charge, with your dispute through this process. You may receive help from an attorney with your credit dispute by sending an email toexperiansettlement@clalegal.com)

Edited by JuJuNola

I'm bumping because I was curious to see if anyone's taken advantage of the "dedicated dispute process" yet. Or if anyone emailed the attorneys handling the settlement and let them handle your dispute for you.

From the settlement notice:

Note: If you would prefer not to dispute directly to Experian yourself, the settlement also provides you with the right to have an attorney assist you, free of charge, with your dispute through this process. You may receive help from an attorney with your credit dispute by sending an email toexperiansettlement@clalegal.com)

I checked on the status this past weekend. The credit monitoring and dispute handling will not be available until after the court approves the settlement on 10/29/14. Response deadline to opt out was 9/29/14. After settlement approval, class members will receive a promotional code for the settlement benefits from the settlement web site. FYI, at the web site, to register to be included in the class action. There is a second button that states: "I did not receive a notice, but I still want to be included in the class action." My wife checked this box and enter her information on the next page and summited. It gave her a confirmation number just like mine, she's in.

It came with a special phone number to dispute after the court enters agreement in October 31st. James I think is the case. Sorry. Too lazy to read the above I have the "special number" if anyone wants that won't become operational until court accepts settlement. Just Pm me if I have that ability ha

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

watch out that you are not part of a Jr. Special Handling team...

I have concern about this as well.

one thought is that they might expedite disputes, as to not riel the class members into making addition complaints to the class action attorney.

on the other hand, they might make sure they follow the FCRA to the T, no matter the cost (Thinking is, some results come from the path of least resistance).

I think the best advantage would be to use the "dispute through an attorney at no cost." interpretation of the law is sometimes just that. An attorney can not only be swayed to see your point of view, but will have the "know how" to argue that interpretation and be a lot more convincing to CRA. Just a thought.

Morning!

I'm bumping to see if anyone's heard back from the "Special dedication" email address provided for the class. I emailed earlier this month, but no reply.