Are we headed for another great economic depression?

The last post in this topic was posted 2410 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Seems we've got a couple experts here on Ebola and virus mutations and airborne transmission of said virii. Ya'll need to hit up the CDC, they probably could use the help.

The CDC also has this whacky idea that fluoride compounds in tap water are GOOD for people.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china? The world isn't black and white.

I'm confused, what way should America be going if what we are doing now is wrong?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I really don't think I can answer this without crossing into a territory that's definitely not allowed here. But I will say this: we need to reward those who are productive, contributing members of society. We need to cut off those who are not. Right now, it seems to be the opposite.

Exactly 180 degrees from the truth.

We need to stop cutting out the rungs from the ladder just so those who have already reached the top can stay there without being bothered.

You want to end welfare? Raise the minimum wage, drastically.

Want lower fuel and transportation costs or You want a better selection of employees? Fully fund public transit to the point where the agencies say "Enough! We don't need more money!"

You need better educated employees? Make public university education free.

and those are just the beginning....

I just can't. . .

Can I? :angel:

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I always smile when people say this. It belies a misunderstanding of the Chinese situation. China cannot sustain their economy. They know it and are starting to panic. They don't truly "own" us even t

I'm still waiting to get SARS.   Or swine flu.

Wait till you get Mad Bear disease.   Only extensive Hibernation therapy can cure it.

Seems we've got a couple experts here on Ebola and virus mutations and airborne transmission of said virii. Ya'll need to hit up the CDC, they probably could use the help.

The CDC also has this whacky idea that fluoride compounds in tap water are GOOD for people.

What does that have to do with the price of tea in china? The world isn't black and white.

I'm confused, what way should America be going if what we are doing now is wrong?

I really don't think I can answer this without crossing into a territory that's definitely not allowed here. But I will say this: we need to reward those who are productive, contributing members of society. We need to cut off those who are not. Right now, it seems to be the opposite.

We need to stop cutting out the rungs from the ladder just so those who have already reached the top can stay there without being bothered.

Want lower fuel and transportation costs or You want a better selection of employees? Fully fund public transit to the point where the agencies say "Enough! We don't need more money!"

I just can't. . .

You just can't what? Figure out that as the poor get poorer (and the middle class too) the economy will stall? Wealth is accumulating at the top.. and when that cash doesn't flow, the economy doesn't move. The economy is a consumer driven one, so if the vast majority of the population cannot make the purchases they use to, the economy will fail.

In the latest business cycle, nearly 100% of the gains in the economy went into the pockets of the megarich. The rest of the 90% of us all took hits to our bottom line as wages have stagnated and costs have increased.

Every time the political talking heads talk about cutting "entitlements" but not military spending, they are talking about cutting rungs off the economic ladder to keep the most poor, poor.

Every time the political talking heads say we "can't afford" public transit, but say nothing about using $74 million on a mission to bomb ISIS with the flashy fancy new joint strike fighter, that is cutting off the runs of the ladder to help the mega rich get richer. Cutting funding to public transit makes all of us poorer, even those who don't use public transit.

If you don't want to make employers pay their employees enough to live on, then Uncle Sam has to take up the slack. If employers would pay people enough, then their employees would not need nor qualify for Section 8 housing, food stamps and other government anti-poverty programs. Yes, that means The Walton family would have to live on just $6,800,000 per day ($2,500,000,000 per year) instead of the $8,600,000 million per day ($3,160,000,000 a year) they make now.

I'm not advocating government handouts or giving money to those who are unproductive (like tax breaks for the Waltons?)... however, I am advocating that all of the rungs of the ladder should be there. Education, effective public transit, basic preventative medical care, a minimum living wage, and a safety net for those who do fall. Until we address these issues, we will continue to fail and fall as a country.

I just can't. . .

You just can't what? Figure out that as the poor get poorer (and the middle class too) the economy will stall? Wealth is accumulating at the top.. and when that cash doesn't flow, the economy doesn't move. The economy is a consumer driven one, so if the vast majority of the population cannot make the purchases they use to, the economy will fail.

In the latest business cycle, nearly 100% of the gains in the economy went into the pockets of the megarich. The rest of the 90% of us all took hits to our bottom line as wages have stagnated and costs have increased.

Every time the political talking heads talk about cutting "entitlements" but not military spending, they are talking about cutting rungs off the economic ladder to keep the most poor, poor.

Every time the political talking heads say we "can't afford" public transit, but say nothing about using $74 million on a mission to bomb ISIS with the flashy fancy new joint strike fighter, that is cutting off the runs of the ladder to help the mega rich get richer. Cutting funding to public transit makes all of us poorer, even those who don't use public transit.

If you don't want to make employers pay their employees enough to live on, then Uncle Sam has to take up the slack. If employers would pay people enough, then their employees would not need nor qualify for Section 8 housing, food stamps and other government anti-poverty programs. Yes, that means The Walton family would have to live on just $6,800,000 per day ($2,500,000,000 per year) instead of the $8,600,000 million per day ($3,160,000,000 a year) they make now.

I'm not advocating government handouts or giving money to those who are unproductive (like tax breaks for the Waltons?)... however, I am advocating that all of the rungs of the ladder should be there. Education, effective public transit, basic preventative medical care, a minimum living wage, and a safety net for those who do fall. Until we address these issues, we will continue to fail and fall as a country.

You say that nearly all gains were at the top in the latest business cycle. Would you care to take a guess as to who took the biggest hit when the market went south in '08? It wasn't Bobby and Betty Sue Welder. Yeah, they're gaining more because they lost more. They're recovering. Furthermore, who has all their skin the game? Those who take the biggest risks earn the biggest rewards. If you don't own a home, don't invest in anything, and work a menial 9-5 hourly job, you really didn't lose much. If you didn't lose much, how can you gain anything back? It's simple economics and investments.

I can do it and not get political! Yay. I'm treating myself to ice cream now.

What risks did the Walton clan take? They "risked" getting born to the wrong parents?

The people who lost the most are the middle class and the poor because so many lost everything they had. Someone in the middle class who loses their job and then their home and then their car take a bigger material hit to their life than some banker who's portfolio drops from $500 million to $400 million. The wealthy didn't lose much, they got their bailouts and even got their bonuses for getting those bailouts. Apparently, it's not okay to break a contract when a banker needs a bonus, but it's just fine to break a contract when a pension fund goes broke (which is typically from bank mismanagement or company underfunding it).

The reason we are heading back to an economic depression is because we are not taking any steps to reverse this and all the potential cuts to government spending target those who already have nothing.

Giving more money to the mega-rich is not going to fix the economy. Making sure the poor and middle class can climb the economic ladder, will.

I'm just glad that I never have to use public transportation.

Last time I took the trolley in San Diego, the guy across from me repeatedly scratched an open sore on the back of his neck and then smelled his fingers.

I use it as a show and tell to remind my boy why he needs to stay in school.

Aren't you tired of paying for parking down town? Or you just don't go?

Last time I took the trolley in San Diego, the guy across from me repeatedly scratched an open sore on the back of his neck and then smelled his fingers.

Perhaps if we weren't saddled with The Best Healthcare System in the WORLD, he'd be able to stop into a clinic instead of wondering what melanoma smells like.

Those aren't the only two options.

Those aren't the only two options.

This is true.

Perhaps if we weren't saddled with The Best Healthcare System in the WORLD, he'd be able to stop into a clinic instead of wondering what melanoma smells like.

Was it my vivid description or your astonishing omniscience that enabled you to identify the root cause, and divine where he wasn't going that day?

I'm saying that many people in the trolley-riding strata cannot afford to see a doctor for "minor" things, so they resort to unscientific and sometimes impolite DIY methods.

I addressed that indirectly in the first part of my post.

Your not riding the trolley doesn't help the guy with the mysterious sore, at all. You've just decided that you're lucky you can afford not to look at him.

This is the first step in moving to the country within a country known as Richistan. When you reach the level of private jets and limousines with dark windows, you may never see one of "them" again. Forgetting they exist is one way to ease one's conscience, if the rich person was one of the unfortunate ones born with a conscience in the first place.

Edited by mk_378

Giving more money to the mega-rich is not going to fix the economy. Making sure the poor and middle class can climb the economic ladder, will.

If it's as easy as that then why don't we do it?

Because we have a large contingent of people that believe in the fairytail of trickle down economics.... which formerly had the name "Horse and Sparrow Theory"... which I find a much more apt description of what happens in reality (feed a horse a lot of oats, and some will pass through for the sparrow to pick through the poop to get to eat).

In countries that aren't backsliding away from civilization like we are, that man would be able to get the sore treated and the trolly system would be so robust, a car would be more bother than it is worth.

Have you ever been hired by a poor person? How many jobs to they create? How much do they add to the GDP?

Which of the logical fallacies are you going for here? False dilemma or straw man?

The point is that the rich aren't creating any more jobs, in spite of record profits and the hoarding of cash, because there is no additional demand. Why build more factories or hire more people if the customers cannot afford to buy any additional products/services. Clearly, giving corporations more money, when they don't have any idea what productive things to do with the money they already have, isn't going to do anything to spur the economy. Companies just put the money into the bank and the banks aren't lending it... so it isn't doing the economy any good.

Making sure that people who have no money, get money for their work, will cause them to spend nearly every cent of it trying to live again. Doing that in a sustainable way that allows them to climb the economic ladder is the goal. Education, Transportation, Healthcare (basic), and minimum living wages will do that.

Edited by TheDrewbert

In countries that aren't backsliding away from civilization like we are, that man would be able to get the sore treated and the trolly system would be so robust, a car would be more bother than it is worth.

Oh, come on. You people are pranking me. Now YOU know that he was unable to get the sore treated?

Have you ever been hired by a poor person? How many jobs to they create? How much do they add to the GDP?

Which of the logical fallacies are you going for here? False dilemma or straw man?

Neither. I'm simply saying that they don't do anything to help the economy. They don't create jobs. They don't boost GDP. They're the ones who need the jobs that the "evil rich" are creating. The only way to pull yourself out of poverty is by working your way out of it. That's it.

Neither. I'm simply saying that they don't do anything to help the economy. They don't create jobs. They don't boost GDP. They're the ones who need the jobs that the "evil rich" are creating. The only way to pull yourself out of poverty is by working your way out of it. That's it.

I know it's not fair that I edited my post, but please re-read with my edit.

The "Evil Rich" aren't creating the jobs because there isn't the demand there for the product or service because the average american family has seen their income stagnant or decrease since 1980.. Working your way out of poverty is no longer a given because living costs are increasing faster than wages.

The poor create jobs when they buy things. The Waltons can only use so many packs of toilet paper in a week. They can only buy so many Mercedes a month (only out of lack of time and places to put them, not out of lack of money). There is only so much the rich can consume to contribute to the economy.

The average Walmart employee makes $8.26 an hour with most employees limited to 26 hours a week. Walmart has 1.4 million employees in the U.S. Giving them each a $2 an hour raise for the 26 hours they work (on average) would cost Walmart $145 million dollars a year... . about 17 days worth of income for the Walton family, but imagine the massive impact on the employees of the company.

Edited by TheDrewbert

I know it's not fair that I edited my post, but please re-read with my edit.

The "Evil Rich" aren't creating the jobs because there isn't the demand there for the product or service because the average american family has seen their income stagnant or decrease since 1980.. Working your way out of poverty is no longer a given because living costs are increasing faster than wages.

I read it. I can't get into why because of the line it would cross.

The last post in this topic was posted 2410 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.