Sign in to follow this  
mechanicworkman

Home Depot tried to keep my credit card

Went to home depot yesterday to get a saw showed my military I.D. to get the 10% discount it came out to like 386 bucks or something I swiped my card signed the digital pin pad then counter guy asked for my card. He compared the signatures on card then said he needed to see my drivers license I said NO thats for driving and Im in home depot he was almost floored.

Without a miss i told them to get the store manager. After the manager came up with she stated that it was store policy to check I.D. I informed her about the VISA policy she was clueless about the visa policy I had it with me on my i-phone. I asked for her business card. I told the guy at the counter I wanted my card back he said "NO" at that time I told him he better make the CODE 10 call or or gimme my FUC*ing card back. He again replied not without seeing my I.D. at which time I guickly snatched the card from his grubby fingers.

As I had already swiped my card and signed I again asked if he was going to complete transaction and the the store manager jumped in back to the store policy thing. I took my card and left..Needless to say I will not be shopping there again.

After leaving and arriving home I emailed the store manager the entire document from VISA and then prompty pointed her to page 34.

She had not the care in the world about reading it.

I called VISA-911 number and made a formal complaint. They say 30 days to do an investigation I dout that I will hear anything back but we will see.

Whoa, refusing to give you your card back is way beyond the pale! I think I'd complain to Home Depot corporate about that.

If you own a Mastercard, report to them also. They won't have a record of whether you actually tried to use the MC or not, and if you had you know the same thing would have happened.

Edited by waterlili

I did get the saw I wanted but not at that store! I ultimately took my card to a store that was willing to adhear the the policys set forth and one that knew how to properly accept a credit card.

I will certainly be contracting home depot corp. in a email and let them know of the horriable experiance/lack of proper procedures that are in effect at this home depot location. At this day in age there is not shortage of locations to buy items and any hostile employees acting like they did has forced me to NEVER shop at retailer any more.

Well finally heard back from HD...........basic BS response!

Hello Customer,

I am sorry that you were requested an id when paying for the miter saw
that you purchased at the Saint Charles, MO Home Depot.

The Home Depot does at times request identification when paying by
credit card, when receiving a military discount, when your credit card
is not signed, for certain merchandise purchases, returns and other
times at store discretion.

Visa and MasterCard rules prohibit the acceptance of unsigned cards. If
you present one, the merchant must ask you to sign the card and supply
an ID. Visa guidelines specify that it must be an official government
ID.

We apologize for any inconvenience.

Your Customer Care reference number is 53516293.

If you need any further assistance or have any questions, please do not
hesitate to contact me at the number below or reply to this email.

Sincerely,

Claude Boyd

The Home Depot - Store Support Center ? Customer Service

Resolution Expeditor Email Team
2455 Paces Ferry Road / B-4
Atlanta, GA 30339
Phone: (770) 433-8211 or 1-800-654-0688 ext. 76088
Fax: (678) 556-7614
My schedule is Monday thru Friday 11:00am - 8:00pm EST
In my absence please contact Corey Loyal at ext 76499.

I hit back a little harder this morning!

My response:

I appreciate you quick reply however, I do not appreciate the blanket answer to my very serious & specific concern . By giving a generic answer to a concern of improper card acceptance practices this does little but, further my resolve to discontinue any shopping activities at your locations.
I write home depot in attempt to rectify the situation as well as offer your company a chance to save me as a customer.
I made my best attempt to give a full description of the events that occurred.
1. I fully understand that to receive my military discount I am required to show my military I.D.-which i did and the customer rep at the counter had no problem applying the discount for the product I was attempting to buy.
2. As I stated in my first email my credit card was signed so this was a NON issue. So when I speak of blanket answers above your avoiding the grievance at hand.
I am very informed on both the procedures of VISA & MasterCard.
3. PLEASE DO NOT lump Visa & MasterCard into the same set of rules they are completely different companies with a completely different set of rules.
My specific problem is that VISA specifically has rules that say the merchant cannot make an I.D. a condition of card acceptance.

4. The request for my I.D. was only in connection with the use of my credit card and in NO way related to receiving the military discount.
I specifically refer you to page 34 on the attached document from VISA where it states:
When should you ask a cardholder for an official government ID? Although Visa
rules do not preclude merchants from asking for cardholder ID except in the
specific circumstances discussed in this guide, merchants cannot make an ID
a condition of acceptance. Therefore, merchants cannot as part of their regular
card acceptance procedures refuse to complete a purchase transaction because
a cardholder refuses to provide ID. It is important that merchants understand
that the requesting of a cardholder ID does not change the merchant’s liability
for chargebacks. However, it can slow down a sale and annoy the customer. In
some cases, it may even deter the use of the Visa card and result in the loss of
a potential sale. Visa believes merchants should not ask for ID as part of their
regular card acceptance procedures. Laws in several countries also make it
illegal for merchants to write a cardholder’s personal information, such as an
address or phone number, on a sales receipt.
Attached you will find a copy of the full document in reference.
If this is a grievance I want escalated to the next level up the chain.I want to hear from someone who has the ability to affect change and fix a broken system at that location.
Best Regards ,

Well after their reply and my response. Home depot has given me cold sholder. They have now totally ignored me. In my second email i requested this to be brought up the ladder although they are now unresponsive. Failed to respond in nearly 15 days I am being ignored.

I would call the phone numbers to the rep at Home Depot and go to their supervisor if they are not responsive. I wouldn't settle for voice mail either. Or forward your email to their upper management (the addresses are pretty easy to find in google) noting the customer service department is ineffective.

I had some messed up online experience with an online retailer, sent a complaint via the email address for that purpose on their website - I'm convinced that the emails are scanned for keywords, and a bot answers with a programmed response.

I had some messed up online experience with an online retailer, sent a complaint via the email address for that purpose on their website - I'm convinced that the emails are scanned for keywords, and a bot answers with a programmed response.

+1

Seems like this is the norm on Craigslist, as well. Scanned e-mails for keywords, etc.

Which asks a very good question.. How do you get a hold of an actual PERSON?? (Same way, people loove to say at a drive-thru, "I will call Corporate." Well.. What, exactly, does that mean? WHO?? Exactly??) ....

There's a website that lists numbers where you can get real people. I forget the name, but I'm sure lots of people here have it.

Sign in to follow this  

About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines