Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Advice on next steps

The last post in this topic was posted 2247 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi guys,

First time/long time... wondering if you had any advice as I consider my next moves.

I'm 25, make about $43k a year before taxes, and have investment assets and income I could include if needed.

Had credit since 2010, no missed payments, baddies, or anything like that. Oldest account is 3 yrs 8 months, newest is 7 months, and AAOA is about 1 year 10 months.

These are my cards:

AMEX Blue Sky, $10,500 limit

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $2,000 limit

BofA BankAmericard $5,000 limit

Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 limit (newest, opened 1/2014)

Barclaycard Financing (Apple) $2,350

Chase Slate $3,300 limit

Chase Sapphire $5,000 limit

Chase Freedom $4,000 limit

Citi Dividend Platinum Select $5,900 limit (oldest, opened 12/2010)

Citi Simplicity $3,000 limit

Citi AAdvantage Bronze MasterCard $6,500 limit

Discover IT $4,500 limit

FNB Omaha $6,000 limit

Comenity/JCrew $1,000 limit

Comenity/Express $500 limit

Utilization is around 23%. I have roughly $14k spread across several accounts with long-term (>12 months) 0% offers, otherwise I pay everything in full and do not carry a balance. If needed I could pay off the $14k immediately but since it's at 0% and I'm earning more in my investments I don't see a need to do that while the offers are still in effect unless you have better advice.

Is it worth applying for more cards (if so, which)? Should I focus on CLIs (again, where should I prioritize and how much to ask for)? Both? Neither? Is it time to garden?

I have an inquiry scheduled to drop off in November, by which point my AAOA should be over 2 years.

I appreciate your guidance. Thanks in advance!

Hi guys,

First time/long time... wondering if you had any advice as I consider my next moves.

I'm 25, make about $43k a year before taxes, and have investment assets and income I could include if needed.

Had credit since 2010, no missed payments, baddies, or anything like that. Oldest account is 3 yrs 8 months, newest is 7 months, and AAOA is about 1 year 10 months.

These are my cards:

AMEX Blue Sky, $10,500 limit

AMEX Blue Cash Everyday, $2,000 limit

BofA BankAmericard $5,000 limit

Barclaycard Rewards $2,000 limit (newest, opened 1/2014)

Barclaycard Financing (Apple) $2,350

Chase Slate $3,300 limit

Chase Sapphire $5,000 limit

Chase Freedom $4,000 limit

Citi Dividend Platinum Select $5,900 limit (oldest, opened 12/2010)

Citi Simplicity $3,000 limit

Citi AAdvantage Bronze MasterCard $6,500 limit

Discover IT $4,500 limit

FNB Omaha $6,000 limit

Comenity/JCrew $1,000 limit

Comenity/Express $500 limit

Utilization is around 23%. I have roughly $14k spread across several accounts with long-term (>12 months) 0% offers, otherwise I pay everything in full and do not carry a balance. If needed I could pay off the $14k immediately but since it's at 0% and I'm earning more in my investments I don't see a need to do that while the offers are still in effect unless you have better advice.

Is it worth applying for more cards (if so, which)? Should I focus on CLIs (again, where should I prioritize and how much to ask for)? Both? Neither? Is it time to garden?

I have an inquiry scheduled to drop off in November, by which point my AAOA should be over 2 years.

I appreciate your guidance. Thanks in advance!

You've got your Amex for D*, you have diversity of issuers, you have some rewards cards, you have enough credit to support your lifestyle, your utilization is relatively low (and what you're carrying is at 0%), you should be getting free FICOs from Discover and FNBO. You might join DCU for the Equifax FICO.

If that mix of credit cards maximizes your desired rewards (travel, cash-back) based on your spending patterns, you are in a good place.

Beyond that, it's hard to make any recommendations because you haven't stated your goal(s) for credit. For most people with your profile that would be more than enough accounts and plenty of credit. It just depends where you want to go next.

You say that "Usually" you pay your balances in full, and carry no reportable balance. Through my research and personal trials having a utilization of 1% on all cards gives you a higher credit score than if you had 0% This is only a temporary raise for each report to report basis if you always stay below 20-30%, but it's good knowledge to have when applying for loans etc.

I certainly have enough credit to fund my lifestyle at the moment. While I use my cards for just about everything to float the payments, my purchases are made on the assumption that I would have to immediately pay in cash if requested.

I am not in the market for a house anytime soon, and my car has been reliable to date (knock on wood). I suppose my goals are to get as much credit as possible while I'm young and my expenses are low and never use it, so that by the time a major expense comes around where cash is impractical I will have had a nice long history of responsible credit. I want to be able to enjoy favorable rates on large sums of borrowed money if need be. My sister is older and makes more money than I do but her credit history is so limited that her responsible behavior doesn't do her any favors. I want to avoid that scenario by a comfortable margin if at all possible.

With that in mind, should I seek additional credit at this time, and would you recommend I pursue it through additional cards and/or by requesting CLI(s)?

The last post in this topic was posted 2247 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

• Similar Content

• By bunyan
      Hello,

I already had one $5000 Cash Rewards Visa with BofA and a $300 limit Signature Visa as well. The $300 Visa was open since 2007. The $5000 limit one has been open since 2011. I also have a $2500 Amazon store card since about 2011 and a Capital One Quicksilver Visa with an $800 limit, and a Capital One Platinum MasterCard with a $700 limit. Have had both of those since 2010. The $5000 BofA Cash Rewards card, Amazon Store Card, and both Capital One cards have all been as the limit since last summer. I never had any late payments. I have had my checking account with BofA since 2007. I also have a business account with BofA. No Money Market amounts or anything like that with them. My Experian score is 726 (That's who they pulled)

I was in the branch on Monday and the teller said I had a Credit Card offer. So I sat down with the representative, and had him put in an application for another Cash Rewards Visa with a $5000 limit. That was instantly approved and I got the credit card in the mail yesterday. So today I'm at work and decide to call in and do a balance transfer from my other cards to my new card. While I'm talking to the CSR I ask if he thinks I can get a CLI to 10 or 15 grand. He said he thinks I can and maybe they won't even do another inquiry since I just got this card yesterday. I said ok go for it. 15 grand. He doesn't get an immediate answer back and says I should hear something in the next 3 days. This was around 1PM today. I check my account at 4 and I see my limit is up to $15000 on my new card. Wooo hooo! The CSR also said that I can get a cash advance for up to my maximum credit line at 0% until April of 2016. Fees are 3%. He already had approved me for $4800 (Since my initial credit limit on the new card was only $5000) but said once I get my CLI just call him back and he can give me more.

I'll be calling him Friday! Lol I'm gonna put all my other card balances on here so I can get the 0%. They'll be paid off well before then.
    • By CreditLuv
      Since I've seen the light from this board and MyFico.com I now understand that to really help your chances in the future to increase one's current credit line limits it's best to try to run as much through your CC's as possible everyday instead of just using your bank debit card, cash or writing checks.

One poster on this board or Myfico (i forgot which one( stated he was running $10-$15K a month on a $5K limit card using this strategy without the cash advances though I think.

My question is two fold.

To help with mass usage of my credit cards (on all my personal and different businesses I own for day to day, monthly and yearly expenses) will CASH ADVANCES help or hurt me in the eyes of the credit card companies in regards to helping me increase my credit limits? Basically do CC companies see someone that takes cash advances differently then someone that spends the exact same amount on some product or service?

Like they're in need of the cash and more of a risk to them. For example instead of paying a contractor for work they do for you with a check you could pay them in cash through a CC cash advance. Yes, you'd get hit with a 2-3% fee. But you would get to run more transactions through your credit cards and thus in theory you would use your CC's more instead of just for purchases of products or services.

Again from everything I've read, besides keeping your CC at a zero balance and then leave $2 on one card every month. For maximum chances to increase your credit lines the more transactions the CC companies see you do every month the more likely they are in the future to give you a CLI but also a bigger one correct?

Please chime in with your first hand experiences with this.

Thanks so much.

I'm finally finalizing my Christmas Breaking Bad marathon (watching Season 5 episode 12) so all his cash has got me thinking cash!

• By Quietman
      OMG! Can't believe it worked!

DW applied for 3x CLI, from $9,400 to $28,200, instant approval!

It was on her Amex Blue everyday card.

Her FICO scores:

Exp : 789
      TU : 798
      Eq : 806

Card used lightly over last 61 days, PIF always. She wants to achieve credit pimp status in the next year!!

Thank you fellow CB'ers for all the great advice! (special shout out to BobWang, Ubercat, mendlesshon, HoustonLynne, CV91915, SecretAgentWoman)

• By PotO
      Got this antique Orchard Bank card that got schlepped off on Cap One. At the time I was not thrilled at the prospects of being adopted by Cap One since from what I read online they were worse than HSBC. But Cap One gave me a CLI to $10k so I was happy.

Every couple of months I try the LUV button more for the free FICO than anything else. And, expectedly, I always get shot down usually for insufficient use. But I get my FICO, which was my original goal.

So two days ago I figure I'll go for another FICO and got the usual "under review" message. The past three months I've used my Cap One card a lot, but still had no expectation of getting a CLI. Today get the message than they increased to $15k. I'm shocked!

But no FICO.

I'm not sure if it's just because of holiday season or maybe Cap One really does like to see usage. Still, even though $15k is below average, considering it is from Cap One I will take it with gratitude.

One thing I noticed that's changed with the LUV button is that now it asks for your usual monthly CC spending. I wonder what effect that has in their decision.
    • By jl326110
      Hi CB - first off, truly impressed with the amount of information and knowledgeable people on this forum. I really appreciate all the information sharing and people willing to help.

We are in the process of repairing our credit (wife + I). I recently ran my credit score on creditkarma.com and was shocked to see it drop to the mid 550s (thankfully my wife is hovering just above 700). Although I never maintained my credit report, I was definitely surprised to see it so low and it did serve as a wake up call! We have a goal to apply for our first mortgage in 2-3 years. After finding this forum and reading the past week or so I think I'm ready to take some action. I'd be really grateful to anyone that takes the time to read through and confirm this is the correct approach and offer any advice.

Pulled all 3 credit reports from annualcreditreport.com Opted out via outbound link disallowed.. I did the 5 year online method. I'm thinking we should do this permanently (we could always opt back in)? I am going to call to remove all old and inaccurate addresses/names/phone numbers in the "Personal Information" section. There was quite a few that are wrong or outdated. It seems this is probably the only thing CB suggests we remove via phone call? Or would mail be safer/better? Remove Negatives from our accounts. I have a few and they are as follows: 30 day late payments: I have mostly 1 late payment (30 days) across 7 different credit accounts. Should I write a "GOODWILL" letter and ask for an adjustment? Or should I ask first for the creditor to validate the account? If that fails should I keep asking for a Goodwill adjustment or ask for a Pay to Delete? Essentially question here - what is the best order of steps and if I do one will it affect the other (i.e. Goodwill adjustment will cause a validation attempt to be denied). Closed in Settlement: My wife has 2 accounts with Chase that were closed/settled for less than full balance. What is the best approach to get this removed? The unpaid balance ranges from 2-4k. If we do a pay to delete would we expect to pay that much? Finally, these accounts are expected to be removed from our report on 01/2017... should we just wait it out since we're not planning on buying a house any sooner? Closed accounts: We have a few accounts that just show as closed by "grantor". They appear to be in good standing, no late payments, no high balance... just closed by "grantor". Should I try to get these removed? If so, how? Once all the above is done, we're going to try to open some positive accounts, probably starting with a secured credit line. We also need to pay off some high balance accounts to improve our utilization ratio.

So that's the plan! Please critique and let me know if I'm doing this right. I really appreciate it! Thank you ALL!

• Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    Zakiyyah
About Us

Since 2003, creditboards.com has helped thousands of people repair their credit, force abusive collection agents to follow the law, ensure proper reporting by credit reporting agencies, and provided financial education to help avoid the pitfalls that can lead to negative tradelines.

Important Information

Guidelines