Can I ask hospital to take debt back from collector?

The last post in this topic was posted 3479 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hi, everyone,

I am in New York and have been contacted by a collection agency (which writes on the letterhead of attorney Mark Nichter) regarding hospital service in 2011 and 2012.

I had been very sick then so don’t remember all the billing particulars but the total amount due is $1,197.73, according to the collector’s letter.

I had insurance which covered 90 percent of the bill and I assume this is the balance that I didn’t pay. Being out on disability I wasn’t able to afford to pay my portion then but I am in a better position now to pay over time.

My question is: could I arrange to just pay the hospital directly? I could probably do it over three or four months rather than all at one time. I don’t want to deal with the collector directly as the rep who calls me is truly awful on the phone. I always tell them I won’t discuss it on the phone and please to write to me but before I hang up they always manage to yell about how I know I had cancer and had treatment at this particular hospital and why won’t I pay up. It’s too much.

This hasn’t yet shown up on my credit report and since I’ve recently just gotten my reports clean, I’d like to take care of it in a way that won’t harm my credit. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi, everyone,

I am in New York and have been contacted by a collection agency (which writes on the letterhead of attorney Mark Nichter) regarding hospital service in 2011 and 2012.

I had been very sick then so don’t remember all the billing particulars but the total amount due is $1,197.73, according to the collector’s letter.

I had insurance which covered 90 percent of the bill and I assume this is the balance that I didn’t pay. Being out on disability I wasn’t able to afford to pay my portion then but I am in a better position now to pay over time.

My question is: could I arrange to just pay the hospital directly? I could probably do it over three or four months rather than all at one time. I don’t want to deal with the collector directly as the rep who calls me is truly awful on the phone. I always tell them I won’t discuss it on the phone and please to write to me but before I hang up they always manage to yell about how I know I had cancer and had treatment at this particular hospital and why won’t I pay up. It’s too much.

This hasn’t yet shown up on my credit report and since I’ve recently just gotten my reports clean, I’d like to take care of it in a way that won’t harm my credit. Thanks in advance for your advice.

Hi, Take a look at Whychat's HIPPA dispute program http://whychat.5u.com/hipltr.html

You are being victimized by a collection agency.

The law states that a CA MUST send you written notification within 5 days of any contact.

DO NOT speak to them again except to tell them that you are reporting them to the authorities.

http://www.whychat.5u.com/States/state-ny.html

Meantime, follow this guide:

http://www.whychat.5u.com/GUIDEBOOK.html

Send them this:

http://whychat.5u.com/ltrcavalhipaa.html

Contact your insurance Co. and get a copy of your EOMBs ( explanation of medical benefits) that will tell you if you did in fact have any left over obligations that were not written off by the Hospital.

Contact the NY Attorney General's office and report the threatening and harrassing calls.

The last post in this topic was posted 3479 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.