What used vehicles have a good....

The last post in this topic was posted 2663 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I had a Subaru that went 341,000 miles before it finally gave out. A new timing belt would have made her go another 300K+, but it wasn't worth putting it into a Japanese rust bucket. Subarus are good if they have the 2.2L or the 6 cylinder. The 2.5s will blow a head gasket. Unfortunately, the 6 cylinders will bankrupt you with fuel costs. And the 6 cylinders hardly depreciate...so they make poor used cars.

Honda 4-cylinders are good. Sip fuel and reliable, however about as exciting as watching paint dry. V6s are more exciting, but Honda can't mate a reliable transmission to a V6. But the 4 cylinders will get near-40mpg all day long. The Acura TSX is a European 4 cylinder Accord. I'm not sure how new you're looking, but a 2013 Civic is extremely easy on gas. The 2014 went to a crappier transmission and, in my experience, furl economy went down about 5mpg with it. The 2013 I drove averaged 38.6 at 75mph.

I can't recommend a Toyota. The family Lexus has been the biggest heap of junk. Electrical gremlins, oil leaks, sensors, and rust. Pass.

German diesels are fun. Good fuel economy, and torquey.

Right now my commuter (200+ miles daily) is a 1987 Audi 5000 Quattro. Comfortable, 5-speed, all wheel drive, and gets 35+mpg. Almost 30 years old, but more dependable than any 5 year old American car.

Though I do have a buddy who has a new Focus 5-speed hatch, and he drove from Chicago to Seattle and averaged almost 40mpg, if you're looking at new.

Personally, I really want a Honda CR-Z. Small 2-seater hybrid, 2011s can be had for <$15K. But, no sunroof in American ones, and that's a deal breaker.

I had a Subaru that went 341,000 miles before it finally gave out. A new timing belt would have made her go another 300K+, but it wasn't worth putting it into a Japanese rust bucket. Subarus are good if they have the 2.2L or the 6 cylinder. The 2.5s will blow a head gasket. Unfortunately, the 6 cylinders will bankrupt you with fuel costs. And the 6 cylinders hardly depreciate...so they make poor used cars.

Honda 4-cylinders are good. Sip fuel and reliable, however about as exciting as watching paint dry. V6s are more exciting, but Honda can't mate a reliable transmission to a V6. But the 4 cylinders will get near-40mpg all day long. The Acura TSX is a European 4 cylinder Accord. I'm not sure how new you're looking, but a 2013 Civic is extremely easy on gas. The 2014 went to a crappier transmission and, in my experience, furl economy went down about 5mpg with it. The 2013 I drove averaged 38.6 at 75mph.

I can't recommend a Toyota. The family Lexus has been the biggest heap of junk. Electrical gremlins, oil leaks, sensors, and rust. Pass.

German diesels are fun. Good fuel economy, and torquey.

Right now my commuter (200+ miles daily) is a 1987 Audi 5000 Quattro. Comfortable, 5-speed, all wheel drive, and gets 35+mpg. Almost 30 years old, but more dependable than any 5 year old American car.

Though I do have a buddy who has a new Focus 5-speed hatch, and he drove from Chicago to Seattle and averaged almost 40mpg, if you're looking at new.

Personally, I really want a Honda CR-Z. Small 2-seater hybrid, 2011s can be had for <$15K. But, no sunroof in American ones, and that's a deal breaker.

You gave me a lot to think about. Thanks

And with out a doubt I wouldn't throw a Explorer out there as a commuter car!!

It certainly doesn't get the mileage something like a Prius would, but it came without the price tag too. I get an unbelievably good 23.5 mpg - which I find amazing given it's age and mileage.

My next car however: http://www.eliomotors.com/

23 mpg really! Maybe cause it's only running on one cylinder at this point!

That's a nice car!

It certainly doesn't get the mileage something like a Prius would, but it came without the price tag too. I get an unbelievably good 23.5 mpg - which I find amazing given it's age and mileage.

23 mpg really! Maybe cause it's only running on one cylinder at this point!

That's a nice car!

I can't stop laughing.

That's not a car, that's a sex toy.

1408096781249_wps_4_The_Elio_a_three_whe

And let me mention those who park straddling a line to occupy two spaces trying to keep anyone else from parking "too close" to their car. Which would be especially ridiculous with a tiny car like that.

Edited by mk_378

If you are able to use that as a sex toy, I would be genuinely terrified to meet you.

If you are able to use that as a sex toy, I would be genuinely terrified to meet you.

Inside , outside, or on top of is not unusual. IJS

Just be careful with the VW oil burners (diesels) - not just any VW dealership tech knows how to really work on them. Forget having the neighborhood garage work on them - you have to find either a German car specialty shop or VW dealers that employ mechanics with extensive TDI experience.

• Admin

I need a used car to travel back and forth to school 2 days a week long distances 150-200 miles each way for 16 weeks. Just wondering your experience with dependable vehicles for long distances travel.

Anything that: 1) isn't the manufacturer's "entry level" car, 2) Isn't the first or second year of production, and 3) has been well maintained -should be fine.

Outside that it's a matter of what you like and what you want to spend.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

The last post in this topic was posted 2663 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.