Sign in to follow this  
mendelssohn

The Master Balance Transfer Thread

Alliant still has 0% for 12 months with a 2% fee running for new cards.  They gave me a very good starting limit last year ($30K).

On 1/1/2019 at 9:30 AM, CTSoxFan said:

Alliant still has 0% for 12 months with a 2% fee running for new cards.  They gave me a very good starting limit last year ($30K).

I just got some checks in the mail with the same offer on my existing card.

App'd Chase for a Slate, turns out I'm still 5/24 for at least four to six months, depending on how you count.

So, I had to swallow my pride, and app at BofA for a Bankamericard.

It's in review.  :rolleyes:

Checks in the mail from local CU for a $0 BT @ 1.99% - Think I might put that 10k in an index fund for the year and pay it down...no risk, no reward, right?  That or CD for a 1% bonus against it after a year....$100 likely not worth that effort, though, right? :P

1 hour ago, Zanshiro said:

Checks in the mail from local CU for a $0 BT @ 1.99% - Think I might put that 10k in an index fund for the year and pay it down...no risk, no reward, right?

Not worth the risk. But here's a better way:

Paying down the $10199 in 12 months would cost $850/month. So instead of taking the loan, dollar cost average the index fund at $850/month for a year. That way you are already 1.99% ahead and your risk is lower.

Market is sort of frothy now, but if you can hold it long enough you should be good no matter what. You absolutely don't want to have to sell at a loss to pay off the loan.

1 hour ago, Zanshiro said:

That or CD for a 1% bonus against it after a year....$100 likely not worth that effort, though, right? :P

Better yet do this too... now you are already 3% ahead!