Jump to content

Words, Phrases and Other Stuff that Annoys Me


Recommended Posts

9 hours ago, cv91915 said:

 

I'm not personally buying any of the paint, but all of it is coming from Sherwin-Williams. 

 

My (retired) parents are doing the work in CA, and Mom never settles for less than the very best (just ask my dad).

 

Quality paint is baked into the price of the work we're having done at the Hut.  We're using the same company that remodeled our master bath, and they don't cut corners.

 

The Hut color is from Dunn Edwards, which has no presence here, but thankfully everyone has everyone else's formulas, and according to my (retired interior designer) mother, SW is among the very best at matching exactly.  

 

She almost threw up when I told her I had a sample mixed at Home Depot to make sure I liked the color before the painters here bought 10(?) gallons of it and started putting it on the walls. 

 

Even if you are not buying the paint personally, I would make sure you look at the paint they are using and make sure it is the higher quality stuff.  Avoid the bases named "solo" or "Painter's Edge"...that is the cheap shit they used on my house.  They can color match with almost any of the bases, cheap or higher quality.  You'll be thankful you got the good stuff in the end.

Link to post
Share on other sites

  • Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Walked into a hostile situation this morning. I decided to be the sacrificial lamb, no matter the cost.   Asked raging lady if their was an office where we could have a conversation.  

This morning while Mrs Vig and I were at work, maintenance man at apartment complex came by to replace our garbage disposal. The new unit works great.   I sent an email to apartment manageme

Posted Images

On 4/1/2021 at 5:57 AM, CTSoxFan said:

 

Some people like a smooth, clean finish and some people like a little carpet...to each their own!

 

We're talking floors here ... right?   😈

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 4:11 PM, cv91915 said:

The guy I hired to paint the interior of the Mud Hut told me he is hard of hearing.

 

What he didn't have to tell me is he is also flatulent.

 

Bad combo.

 

Spill a handful of these into a couple of small snack bowls and tell him to help himself.  Say that they're energy chews.

 

spacer.png

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Over the weekend I got sucked into a black hole trying to pick out new sheets -- online.  

 

I finally rolled the dice and ordered these.  "Charcoal" refers to the color of that one little row of stitching detail.  The version with white stitching was +$21.  🤷‍♂️

 

Same set (stitching in either color) was $217 at Bloomingdale's, which is where my shopping started since I had a targeted 25%-off offer burning a hole in my pocket.  Did me no favors here.

 

D8QOnj8.jpg

 

 

This is the duvet cover my mother/designer picked out to go with all of the other changes in the room.

 

Looked fine to me.  I hate shopping for this stuff, and I'm relieved that these decisions are behind me.

 

Vpz75GU.jpg 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Pam said:

How does your mom feel about visiting Florida?

 

I should wait until at least tomorrow before I ask.  Today she's supervising the carpet installation.  :D 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 10:54 AM, cv91915 said:

Over the weekend I got sucked into a black hole trying to pick out new sheets -- online.  

 

I finally rolled the dice and ordered these.  "Charcoal" refers to the color of that one little row of stitching detail.  The version with white stitching was +$21.  🤷‍♂️

 

Same set (stitching in either color) was $217 at Bloomingdale's, which is where my shopping started since I had a targeted 25%-off offer burning a hole in my pocket.  Did me no favors here.

 

D8QOnj8.jpg

 

 

This is the duvet cover my mother/designer picked out to go with all of the other changes in the room.

 

Looked fine to me.  I hate shopping for this stuff, and I'm relieved that these decisions are behind me.

 

Vpz75GU.jpg 

 

Nice.

Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, StarkRaven$ said:

Nice.

 

Thanks.  I really have no vision for most of this stuff (although I know what I like when I see it).

 

I am looking forward to seeing it all put together sometime this weekend.  

 

 

Edited by cv91915
Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cv91915 said:

 

Thanks.  I really have no vision for most of this stuff (although I know what I like when I see it).

 

I am looking forward to seeing it all put together sometime this weekend.  

 

 

 

I am exactly the same way.  Probably why I work with numbers all day rather than being in Marketing or some creative space.  Hell I can barely draw a straight line...with a ruler.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/9/2021 at 4:21 PM, cv91915 said:

In parallel, the CA painting project also got kicked off.

 

Antler Velvet from Sherwin-Williams it is.

 

JDEd7wJ.jpg 

 

This is more khaki and less gold than what was there, and I won't have to tear out/replace all of the tile.

 

The carpet still needs to go, but when we switched paint, none of the carpet was going to work, so when I'm back next weekend I'll finalize the carpet selections, and then I can start thinking about furniture and lighting.

 

Painting is finished. 

 

New bed linens are picked out, ordered, delivered, and ready to go into the master bedroom. 

 

Carpet is going in today

 

New sofa is being delivered next week.

 

Bathrooms have all new light fixtures (replacing the builder grade crap that I've hated since the day I moved in).

 

This (stock photo from Wayfair) is now on the focal wall in the master bedroom, painted Maison Blanche.

 

LnrxQCW.jpg 

 

I still need to pick out a new chair for the living room and a new dining room table/chairs.  And some accent tables for the living room.  And some decorative wall pieces after we decide this weekend what stays and what goes. 

 

None of this will ever be used; I don't really use those rooms.  :lol: 

 

I'm moving a piece of furniture from the dining room into the master bedroom, and moving the dresser into the walk-in closet.

 

And I'm getting rid of the only TV (currently in the master bedroom), a 42" LCD that I purchased at Circuit City over 10 years ago, which hasn't been used since before we moved in 2014).

 

Some of the ceiling light fixtures / chandeliers also need to go, but I can't think about that until I make some progress on the current backlog.

 

++++++

 

And all this started when my parents were over one day and I looked at my mom and said, "Do you think that hallway could use a coat of paint?"

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

I like the midcentry modern vibe. I just ordered window treatments. WTF are they so expensive? 

 

You can get cheap blinds.  I don't recommend it.  (You're talking about blinds, right?)  

 

The mid-century thing is fine, it's just very trendy right now.  I'm using it sparingly, because it's easy to get caught up in what you see in every store, on every web site, etc., and overdo it with one style. 

 

Style is fleeting, and while it's a pain to undo one wall when it goes out of style, it's an enormous undertaking to try to erase what's been done to an entire home.  I'm taking great care to ensure that I don't end up with a theme park.  😛 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, cv91915 said:

 

You can get cheap blinds.  I don't recommend it.  (You're talking about blinds, right?)  

 

The mid-century thing is fine, it's just very trendy right now.  I'm using it sparingly, because it's easy to get caught up in what you see in every store, on every web site, etc., and overdo it with one style. 

 

Style is fleeting, and while it's a pain to undo one wall when it goes out of style, it's an enormous undertaking to try to erase what's been done to an entire home.  I'm taking great care to ensure that I don't end up with a theme park.  😛 

 

Cellular shades.

 

Seems to me the MCM trend has lasted quite a while. It was a thing when Mad Men was on and that ended...many years ago now. I have a few MCM pieces that I got before their value jumped, but my current house doesn't work for that trend. My old 1968 house was an MCM dream/nightmare depending on how you looked at it. It wasn't the beautiful 1950s-early 60s MCM. It was from when acid was in high use....and it showed.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 5:53 AM, Bad Doctor Frost said:

My old 1968 house was an MCM dream/nightmare depending on how you looked at it. It wasn't the beautiful 1950s-early 60s MCM. It was from when acid was in high use....and it showed

 

Could be worse. My brother's house (which was built by my now deceased grandparents) was built in 1980 and it showed. Originally dark paneling, harvest gold appliances. Now the walls are either wallpapered or painted about five coats of white to not have the dark bleed through. Appliances are now stainless steel.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/3/2021 at 10:54 AM, cv91915 said:

Vpz75GU.jpg 

 

To say that this photo is flattering to the actual product is an extreme understatement.

 

It looks cheap and feels unsubstantial, and it's going back.

 

 

Edited by cv91915
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/6/2021 at 2:53 AM, Bad Doctor Frost said:

 

Cellular shades.

 

Seems to me the MCM trend has lasted quite a while. It was a thing when Mad Men was on and that ended...many years ago now. I have a few MCM pieces that I got before their value jumped, but my current house doesn't work for that trend. My old 1968 house was an MCM dream/nightmare depending on how you looked at it. It wasn't the beautiful 1950s-early 60s MCM. It was from when acid was in high use....and it showed.

 

 

When I had to cover all of the windows at this newly-constructed place, Mom had not yet retired so all of mine were purchased at wholesale (about 60% off retail).

 

It was still more than I wanted spend.

 

If you chose quality items in neutral colors, you'll probably not have to replace them for 20 years.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.





  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      180,855
    • Most Online
      2,046

    Newest Member
    Nick884
    Joined
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Guidelines