Words, Phrases and Other Stuff that Annoys Me

• Replies 10.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Walked into a hostile situation this morning. I decided to be the sacrificial lamb, no matter the cost.   Asked raging lady if their was an office where we could have a conversation.  

People with fake service dogs

Posted Images

14 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

So pick out hardwood instead.

I don't like the tactile sensation of hard surface flooring in bedrooms.  

Besides, then I'd just have to pick out wood, which is the same problem with a different material.

3 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I don't like the tactile sensation of hard surface flooring in bedrooms.  

Besides, then I'd just have to pick out wood, which is the same problem with a different material.

Some people like a smooth, clean finish and some people like a little carpet...to each their own!

I hate laminate floors with a passion. They look and feel cheap. Unfortunately, my kitchen and dining have laminate. It's a high-quality laminate and looks quite nice, but it's still a clicky-feeling cheap floor. I'm going to replace it with tile eventually, but I really do like the look of the wood, so I'm thinking of going with one of those porcelain or ceramic wood-look tiles. Would that look tacky? I know never, ever to put hardwood in a kitchen, but I don't think I'd like the look of tile. 

8 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

I hate laminate floors with a passion. They look and feel cheap. Unfortunately, my kitchen and dining have laminate. It's a high-quality laminate and looks quite nice, but it's still a clicky-feeling cheap floor. I'm going to replace it with tile eventually, but I really do like the look of the wood, so I'm thinking of going with one of those porcelain or ceramic wood-look tiles. Would that look tacky? I know never, ever to put hardwood in a kitchen, but I don't think I'd like the look of tile. 

I don't know how you can say that you don't like the look of tile.  The place where I just got tile for my new backsplash has 754 tile choices in stock right now.  You couldn't possibly hate all of them.

I don't think the wood-looking tile is tacky, but at least in this market it's usually a dead giveaway that a house that's for sale is a flip.

...  mostly because it's a trendy product.  My fear would be that you would grow tired of it when you stop seeing it everywhere.

21 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

We actually have the wood looking tile throughout the majority of our house (we built last year).  This was primarily because our dog would scratch the ever-living shit out of wood or laminate floors.  Honestly, my preference would've been hardwood all else equal, but these are really nice.  The nice thing about flooring, you can always replace it later if you don't like it.

18 hours ago, cv91915 said:

I don't know how you can say that you don't like the look of tile.  The place where I just got tile for my new backsplash has 754 tile choices in stock right now.  You couldn't possibly hate all of them.

I don't think the wood-looking tile is tacky, but at least in this market it's usually a dead giveaway that a house that's for sale is a flip.

...  mostly because it's a trendy product.  My fear would be that you would grow tired of it when you stop seeing it everywhere.

Generally I like the look of tile. Tile is the proper flooring in wet areas like kitchens and bathrooms. However, I've gotten used to the warm wood look in my kitchen/dining areas and I think tile would be a downgrade, aesthetically speaking. This is all too confusing. 

Have you considered any of the luxury vinyl plank flooring?  I am looking at redoing flooring in my condo, have while some seem okay, others look cheap.  My desire is to do the kitchen, living room, dining room, entry way and hallways in the same flooring.   I am the first floor, and on a concrete slab so the current granite tile on the kitchen floor gets mighty chilly during the cold Midwest winter months.  

4 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Generally I like the look of tile. Tile is the proper flooring in wet areas like kitchens and bathrooms. However, I've gotten used to the warm wood look in my kitchen/dining areas and I think tile would be a downgrade, aesthetically speaking. This is all too confusing. 

This is why the good lord gave me an interior designer for a mother.  I can barely deal with the choices after she's already screened out the 97% of options that would look awful.

To make matters worse, don't forget that great flooring can look awful with the wrong interior paint and cabinet stain colors.  

4 hours ago, Glacier said:

Have you considered any of the luxury vinyl plank flooring?  I am looking at redoing flooring in my condo, have while some seem okay, others look cheap.  My desire is to do the kitchen, living room, dining room, entry way and hallways in the same flooring.   I am the first floor, and on a concrete slab so the current granite tile on the kitchen floor gets mighty chilly during the cold Midwest winter months.  

This is also a popular product right now.  

My mother-slash-interior-designer finally stopped sending me alternatives.

(Maybe I failed to mention that the scope is growing.)

We've settled on these wall panels for the headboard wall in the master bedroom.

LnrxQCW.jpg 

13 hours ago, IndyPoolPlayer said:

That's fairly close to the Sherwin Williams Relaxed Khaki color that's on most of this house.

and...  it's not going to work with the flooring that stays.  :( 

The guy I hired to paint the interior of the Mud Hut told me he is hard of hearing.

What he didn't have to tell me is he is also flatulent.

Bad combo.

On 4/4/2021 at 4:48 PM, cv91915 said:

Oh, and the new main interior color will be Collingwood from Benjamin Moore.

kTYURJc.jpg 

On 4/6/2021 at 5:56 AM, cv91915 said:

and...  it's not going to work with the flooring that stays.  :( 

In parallel, the CA painting project also got kicked off.

Antler Velvet from Sherwin-Williams it is.

JDEd7wJ.jpg 

This is more khaki and less gold than what was there, and I won't have to tear out/replace all of the tile.

The carpet still needs to go, but when we switched paint, none of the carpet was going to work, so when I'm back next weekend I'll finalize the carpet selections, and then I can start thinking about furniture and lighting.

21 hours ago, Bad Doctor Frost said:

Which neutral color is more "in" now? Tans or grays?

We're probably just past peak gray, but the cycles are r-e-a-l-l-y long.

I'm doing one of each right now, so go with your taste. 

I would have liked a more subtle "tan" for our place in CA, but the tile I am unwilling to replace would have been too much contrast.

On 4/9/2021 at 3:21 PM, cv91915 said:

In parallel, the CA painting project also got kicked off.

Antler Velvet from Sherwin-Williams it is.

JDEd7wJ.jpg 

This is more khaki and less gold than what was there, and I won't have to tear out/replace all of the tile.

The carpet still needs to go, but when we switched paint, none of the carpet was going to work, so when I'm back next weekend I'll finalize the carpet selections, and then I can start thinking about furniture and lighting.

Do yourself a huge favor and make sure you get the higher quality SW paint.  Yes it is more expensive, but absolutely worth it.  The builders that built our house used the low grade cheap shit and it shows.  Every little mark on the wall shows, you can wash it or the paint will come off, and it takes a minimum of 2 coats to cover any type of markings.  

Personally I would stick with Moore, I have had much better experiences with it overall.

3 hours ago, CTSoxFan said:

Do yourself a huge favor and make sure you get the higher quality SW paint.  Yes it is more expensive, but absolutely worth it.  The builders that built our house used the low grade cheap *Admin and our Terms of Service prohibit profanity* and it shows.  Every little mark on the wall shows, you can wash it or the paint will come off, and it takes a minimum of 2 coats to cover any type of markings.  

Personally I would stick with Moore, I have had much better experiences with it overall.

I'm not personally buying any of the paint, but all of it is coming from Sherwin-Williams. 

My (retired) parents are doing the work in CA, and Mom never settles for less than the very best (just ask my dad).

Quality paint is baked into the price of the work we're having done at the Hut.  We're using the same company that remodeled our master bath, and they don't cut corners.

The Hut color is from Dunn Edwards, which has no presence here, but thankfully everyone has everyone else's formulas, and according to my (retired interior designer) mother, SW is among the very best at matching exactly.  

She almost threw up when I told her I had a sample mixed at Home Depot to make sure I liked the color before the painters here bought 10(?) gallons of it and started putting it on the walls.