Words, Phrases and Other Stuff that Annoys Me

cv91915

Somewhere there's a thread from ~18 months ago where a guy paid something like $44k for a new loaded Impala. Wish I could dig it up so I could help.

New Tahoe starts at $48K. Starts. For a poverty-spec model with cloth seats. Loaded up they're pushing $70K. GM has lost their damn mind. You can get a nice Q7 or GLS for that price. And it won't fall apart in three years.

Buy at end of year clearance to get 10-15K off MSRP. ;)

That has a LTV of 15K-20K less than MSRP at end of MY

You're right. It is still a Ford. But if someone is in the market for a basic family car, there aren't many options out there that are better. As far as Mercedes, it's sad how far they've fallen. Personally, I don't think the Big Three Germans should be making anything below the A6/E-Class/5-Series. I may give the BMW 3/4-Series a pass because that used to be the benchmark sports sedan, but now it's outperformed by a Cadillac, of all things. Porsche has the right idea. An entry-level Porsche is a used Porsche. Anything else would dilute the brand. When people buy a luxury car, they want something that a college kid can't get with a $399/month lease. I won't ever consider a 4-cylinder, ever. They belong in economy cars and motorcycles. Rumor has it the E-Class will be getting a new I6 soon, and I hope to anything holy that it's true.

Porsche needs to get back to their market though. back when I was job hunting last year I swung by the Porsche dealer and saw the 4 door sedan and SUV... WTSF?

Porsche is a sports car maker. not grocery getter maker.

I agree, you want entry level German get a VDub. Beamers and MB were always the upper middle class ride.

I have to say though Cadillac has come along way. they are trying to get that younger market away from the Germans. I still look at Caddies as old folks rides, just like Buick. your grand dad probably drove a Buick.

for years GM bunched Cadillac and Buick together in hopes of if you wanted the luxury of a Cadillac yet couldn't or didn't want to pay for it we could get you in a Buick

The new head of GMs Cadillac division was formerly with BMW, and is aiming for Cadillac to become a boutique store, Customers to come on in and build their own Cadillac, and aiming for a crowd who buys Cadds, in their 20s, not 70s

Two types of people drive Cadillacs: old people and hoodrats. No associate lawyer trying to make partner dreams of owning a Cadillac. Those days are gone. They want their Audis, BMWs, and Mercedes. Maybe Lexus if they don't know cars, they just want a badge. Will Cadillac come back? Maybe. But it's going to take many years. Their ATS could have been good. Except, in typical GM fashion, they put the interior of a 90s Cavalier in it. The gauge cluster is abysmal. I'd even say Lincoln has a better shot at entering the big leagues again, if they could get rid of their MKFord lineup. Hopefully the Continental will help there.

As far as Porsche, they Cayenne, Macan, and Panamera are all hot sellers. I understand why they do it. There are certain people out there (myself included) who refuse to get a boring family car even if they needed it. The Panamera is an absolute hoot to drive. No car that large should be that fun. I'd rank it even higher than my beloved S8. Same with the Cayenne. Sure, they could get a Touareg or a Q7, but the Cayenne checks all the boxes that a young professional dad wants. Most Porsche drivers own SUVs. Those SUVs are typically Range Rovers. Why wouldn't Porsche want to bring them back home to them? Same with Jaguar and Bentley. They both said they'd never build an SUV, but when 30% of your clients own an SUV, and it's one from a competitor, you're going to want to bring them back into your showroom. This is where the money is, not some bare-bones budget submodel.

Two types of people drive Cadillacs: old people and hoodrats. No associate lawyer trying to make partner dreams of owning a Cadillac. Those days are gone. They want their Audis, BMWs, and Mercedes. Maybe Lexus if they don't know cars, they just want a badge. Will Cadillac come back? Maybe. But it's going to take many years. Their ATS could have been good. Except, in typical GM fashion, they put the interior of a 90s Cavalier in it. The gauge cluster is abysmal. I'd even say Lincoln has a better shot at entering the big leagues again, if they could get rid of their MKFord lineup. Hopefully the Continental will help there. As far as Porsche, they Cayenne, Macan, and Panamera are all hot sellers. I understand why they do it. There are certain people out there (myself included) who refuse to get a boring family car even if they needed it. The Panamera is an absolute hoot to drive. No car that large should be that fun. I'd rank it even higher than my beloved S8. Same with the Cayenne. Sure, they could get a Touareg or a Q7, but the Cayenne checks all the boxes that a young professional dad wants. Most Porsche drivers own SUVs. Those SUVs are typically Range Rovers. Why wouldn't Porsche want to bring them back home to them? Same with Jaguar and Bentley. They both said they'd never build an SUV, but when 30% of your clients own an SUV, and it's one from a competitor, you're going to want to bring them back into your showroom. This is where the money is, not some bare-bones budget submodel.

What's wrong with Lexus? 🙂

Two types of people drive Cadillacs: old people and hoodrats. No associate lawyer trying to make partner dreams of owning a Cadillac. Those days are gone. They want their Audis, BMWs, and Mercedes. Maybe Lexus if they don't know cars, they just want a badge. Will Cadillac come back? Maybe. But it's going to take many years. Their ATS could have been good. Except, in typical GM fashion, they put the interior of a 90s Cavalier in it. The gauge cluster is abysmal. I'd even say Lincoln has a better shot at entering the big leagues again, if they could get rid of their MKFord lineup. Hopefully the Continental will help there. As far as Porsche, they Cayenne, Macan, and Panamera are all hot sellers. I understand why they do it. There are certain people out there (myself included) who refuse to get a boring family car even if they needed it. The Panamera is an absolute hoot to drive. No car that large should be that fun. I'd rank it even higher than my beloved S8. Same with the Cayenne. Sure, they could get a Touareg or a Q7, but the Cayenne checks all the boxes that a young professional dad wants. Most Porsche drivers own SUVs. Those SUVs are typically Range Rovers. Why wouldn't Porsche want to bring them back home to them? Same with Jaguar and Bentley. They both said they'd never build an SUV, but when 30% of your clients own an SUV, and it's one from a competitor, you're going to want to bring them back into your showroom. This is where the money is, not some bare-bones budget submodel.

I can see the concept, keep your customers happy by fitting all their needs, SUV, family car, and sports car. and at least they are staying in the upper market. it's not like can get a bare bones panermara, at entry level new car prices. but it's just odd for me.

I agree with the caddy, I worked at a caddy dealer the avg age of the typical caddy owner was probably 50. though reliability has improved. it still looks like interior from Fisher Price.

on the other side you have FiatChrysler who's axing the caravan aiming to make Dodge a "sport brand" releasing various versions of the Dart making it their flagship model. I for one cannot stand Dodge Darts.

GM releases the same platforms under different names to attract different buyers. Top Tier Cad, Then Buick, Then Chevy. if you go from the escalade to the suburban it's the same truck with less bells and whistles. still the same interior, same shape etc Etc.

I really believe that all the automakers need to get their heads together and figure out the market audience they really want to focus on. I get the theory I want to make every one come to my showroom to buy only my cars. but truthfully next to cigarettes and alcohol autos probably have the biggest name brand loyalty

I had a terrible experience.

I had a terrible experience.

That's a shame.

What's wrong with Lexus?

It's nothing more than an overpriced Toyota with leather seats

What's wrong with Lexus?

It's more than that.

What's wrong with Lexus?

It's more than that.

Like what?

Calling an old friend and finding out they have a new girlfriend, and now I can't talk to him. She tells me to never call again.

Jeez... I live 5 states away.

She knows you want him. :rofl:

I had him a long time ago. That's why we're only friends now :P

Calling an old friend and finding out they have a new girlfriend, and now I can't talk to him. She tells me to never call again.

She knows you want him. :rofl:

I had him a long time ago. That's why we're only friends now :P

Betcha can't have just one Lay.........s.

She sounds so stable. I am sure things will work out great.

I hope it works out for him. I'm just afraid he won't be able to find my number again.

Oh well.

Looks like I picked a bad week to be optimistic about the value of our Turkish investments.

Thought of you and TD yesterday. All well with the family over there? Certainly didn't see that one coming.

Yes, everyone is fine, thank you.