Words, Phrases and Other Stuff that Annoys Me

cv91915

Using "that" when "who" would be better.

I know, I know...while both can be correct, one of them annoys me.

Grammar Girl shares my pain: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/who-versus-that

That is a gray area.. if not a complete myth.

Many people have been taught that you should never use the pronoun “that” to refer to a person—that a sentence such as “Girls that have long hair buy more scrunchies,” is wrong, and that it should be “Girls who have long hair buy more scrunchies.” I was taught that rule, but it turns out that it’s a myth.

It’s not wrong to use “who,” but it’s also not wrong to use “that.” I checked a bunch of major style guides. Garner’s Modern American Usage, the Chicago Manual of Style, Fowler’s Modern English Usage, and the Merriam-Webster Dictionary of English Usage all say that although it’s always fine to use “who,” it’s also fine to use “that.” For example, it’s fine to write something like “Girls that have long hair buy more scrunchies.”

It’s been done for a very long time and the objection to it is more recent. Chaucer and Shakespeare, for example, used “that” to refer to people, and Merriam-Webster notes that usage writers only started objecting to it in the early 1900s.

- See more at: http://www.quickanddirtytips.com/education/grammar/pronouns-for-people-and-animals-who-or-that#sthash.aHlGpj3v.dpuf

But, I actually completely agree with you. Using "that" instead of a "who" when referring to a person somewhat dehumanizes them and should be avoided. :good:

Why is it that when you are driving in a neighborhood with cars parked on the side of the street, 99% of the oncoming drivers find it necessary to drive completely in your lane? You're driving a Honda, not a Humvee, moron...there's plenty of room on your own freakin' side of the road.

Ect.

That one bothers me, too. "Etc." is an abbreviation. I understand that not everyone has a background in Latin, but I think if one is using loaned phrases, one should at least know what they mean. "Etc." is an abbreviation for et cetera. "Et" means "and," and "cetera" means "others." Now, even if one doesn't care about that, it would be easy to remember that "et" means "and," thus "etc." is the correct abbreviation.

I write papers these days for school and some of my classmates write "et. al". Drives me up a wall. What, exactly, is "et." an abbreviation for? "Al." is the abbreviation.

I may not be a professional grammar Nazi, but I could definitely place in the amateur games.

Et. al. means that the list is very specific but is not listed completely. It is often used to list only the first author on a cited paper e.g. "Smith et. al." Other examples include a list of patent numbers or cities.

Etc. is applied to collections that are less specifically defined and almost always involve objects not people, e.g. "Pens: ballpoint, fountain, felt-tip, etc."

And et. c. is often seen in older writing, I believe it is stlll acceptable.

"Ect." is of course completely wrong.

Edited by mk_378

Ect.

That one bothers me, too. "Etc." is an abbreviation. I understand that not everyone has a background in Latin, but I think if one is using loaned phrases, one should at least know what they mean. "Etc." is an abbreviation for et cetera. "Et" means "and," and "cetera" means "others." Now, even if one doesn't care about that, it would be easy to remember that "et" means "and," thus "etc." is the correct abbreviation.

I write papers these days for school and some of my classmates write "et. al". Drives me up a wall. What, exactly, is "et." an abbreviation for? "Al." is the abbreviation.

I may not be a professional grammar Nazi, but I could definitely place in the amateur games.

Is Latin even taught anymore? I took three years in high school and one year in college. I found it fascinating and it helped me immensely with grammar and understanding the meaning of words. Unfortunately, I don't remember much of it.

Ect.

Is Latin even taught anymore? I took three years in high school and one year in college. I found it fascinating and it helped me immensely with grammar and understanding the meaning of words. Unfortunately, I don't remember much of it.

I took it in high school and I only graduated in 2005. Latin is a HUGE help with grammar, and it's great for legal terminology.

I hate it when people say "flipping," instead of the real F word. Just skip it. The emphasis is lost.

+1

On a similar topic...I hate when they put movies and shows on TV that were originally R rated and remove the curse words and think it is acceptable. It is absolutely not. If you have to bleep out more than 3 words, don't show it, you probably already ruined the movie. I also hate that they bleep words out at all, but that is another topic for another day...

Edited by CTSoxFan