Sign in to follow this  
stevenwe

Being a CB'er adds value to LendingClub portfolio

By being active with CB for many years I have found that this knowledge helps me with my Lending Club investment.. Knowing how to analyze ppls credit reports have become second nature

By being active with CB for many years I have found that this knowledge helps me with my Lending Club investment.. Knowing how to analyze ppls credit reports have become second nature

+1, I totally agree with you.

I've become pretty good at identifying good bad loans (~15% APR, low risk)

That makes a lot of sense. I've thought about becoming a LC investor and believe experience here would provide significant insight. I wonder how many LC investors hang out here?

Wish lending club would be available in texas... suck I really wanted to invest, we are aloud to trade only... and that sucks.

That makes a lot of sense. I've thought about becoming a LC investor and believe experience here would provide significant insight. I wonder how many LC investors hang out here?

I'm a soon-to-be-former LC investor. Does that count? :P

LC is pretty good if you have money to blow on playing investor. Max out your tax deffer-ed or free investments first.

Why is it soon-to-be former? Or is that in another thread?

Once I kicked this up to just $14,000 invested it got to be too much work since I want to choose my own notes. Reinvesting the payments as they came in got to be annoying. Even an 8%+ annual return on $14k isn't much in real dollars to justify the effort.

The investments are virtually completely illiquid.

All gains are short-term for tax purposes, which is a killer.

Once I kicked this up to just $14,000 invested it got to be too much work since I want to choose my own notes. Reinvesting the payments as they came in got to be annoying. Even an 8%+ annual return on $14k isn't much in real dollars to justify the effort.

Yeah. The amount of notes that don't get invested and I have to reinvest is getting a bit nuts. Makes me wonder...

Yeah. The amount of notes that don't get invested and I have to reinvest is getting a bit nuts. Makes me wonder...

So it's best only if you have time to kill?

It's tedious sometimes.

Wish lending club would be available in texas... suck I really wanted to invest, we are aloud to trade only... and that sucks.

What do you mean you can only trade? I'm in a state like yours that has to go through Foliofn to invest, and I prefer it. I will ONLY invest in a note if there's been at least one years worth of payments on the loan. I'll let Lending Club investors take that risk. Most defaults take place in the first year, and I don't want that risk.

I do it for fun, not as an investment vehicle. If I don't see a note that meets my criteria, I don't buy, and that has worked well for me. I agree it can be too much work, and the more money you have invested, the harder it is too keep your risk at acceptable levels. I limit myself to 100 notes; beyond that and either I'm accepting more risk or the money just sits earning nothing. 10% annual return is easily doable, and 15% when you filter out loans/notes that don't meet certain criteria.

When I get tired of playing one day, I'll sell them back. I've only sold six notes, but they were all sold within 24 hours.

It's tedious sometimes.

You can set your investments on auto-pilot, but I'm really particular about the notes I choose and there aren't enough selection criteria.

Even if I could set up automatic investments I can't get past the illiquidity, plus if I wanted to scale this up to any serious amount of money for a good return, the taxes on short-term gains would eat us alive.

It's not totally illiquid,, these are principal and interest loans... So every month your getting more and more of the original investment returned.. And with every passing month less and less of your investment is at stake / exposed

It's not totally illiquid,, these are principal and interest loans... So every month your getting more and more of the original investment returned.. And with every passing month less and less of your investment is at stake / exposed

I understand. My short-term investment/trading money, by design, should also be available to pay the next Amex bill if we go apesh1t and need to furnish another empty house or something. :P I almost never actually sell investments to meet current obligations... but we keep very little extra money in cash.

I can't pay Amex with a LC note. Might as well have our short-term investent money in goats.

Has anyone used their new auto invest?

I had about 2k in there for a while and kinda just ignored it for the same reasons listed above. Reinvesting becomes a pain and 1/2 my loans dont fund and just annoying. I saw their new auto investment option if you had 2500 in there. I would prob kick in 300 a month for some side investment if I didn't have to really watch it too closely.

The taxes on it really hurts though.