Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

USAA

The last post in this topic was posted 2313 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Good morning All. In multiple threads, I have seen people post the benefits of USAA membership and that there are ways that anybody can get membership. I have tried several times and have been denied because I am not active military and am not a veteran. My dad and grandfather were veterans, but did not have USAA membership. Are there other ways to qualify, such as NMFA membership or anything?

I am a member now for the credit monitoring product, but would like to get auto insurance and open a bank account with them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

USAA has changed policies multiple times over the years. Checking and savings accounts used to be available to anyone. Insurance was always restricted to military. Today, all banking products are restricted to military and family. There are no organization other than military service (and family of) which are qualifiers...

If your family member is a veteran and can prove it, then they can open an insurance product. This will allow you to become a full member. I have been a member for a few years. Then finally I got my father to open an auto insurance policy and now I have a full membership.

Good morning All. In multiple threads, I have seen people post the benefits of USAA membership and that there are ways that anybody can get membership. I have tried several times and have been denied because I am not active military and am not a veteran. My dad and grandfather were veterans, but did not have USAA membership. Are there other ways to qualify, such as NMFA membership or anything?

I am a member now for the credit monitoring product, but would like to get auto insurance and open a bank account with them. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

You could always wife a military burghdudette :grin:

ok i'm off to do some boom boom time B*

Edited by iPhone911Droid

In multiple threads, I have seen people post the benefits of USAA membership

Benefits? Like what?

I have a useless USAA savings account and a useless USAA checking account. I don't have any of their useless credit cards or other useless products. I only have CCMP, which technically isn't a USAA product, nor does it require USAA membership, unless something has changed recently. I do have a grandfathered price on CCMP, so I guess that's worth SOMETHING.

Who Can Join:

• Active, retired and honorably separated officers and enlisted personnel of the U.S. Military
  • Cadets and midshipmen at U.S. service academies, in advanced ROTC or on ROTC scholarship, plus officer candidates within 24 months of commissioning.
  • Individuals whose parents have or had USAA auto or property insurance.
  • Former USAA members who had auto or property insurance.
  • Widows, widowers and un-remarried former spouses of USAA members who had USAA auto or property insurance while married.

It's now more difficult than joining NFCU. I was thinking I could do a family membership thing (like allowing my brother to join) but that's not the case. In the first half of 2013, I joined as a partial member (checking and savings) as reading about them here nudged me to open an account. A short time later they discontinued their open membership. Perfect timing for me. About a month ago I opened a World Mastercard with them. I now have all the products I believe I would ever want from them.

It's always possible in the future they'll open up membership to non-military again. They've done it in the past.

If you can't wait to join, here's a guaranteed way to become eligible: http://army.com/info/center . It works for Navy Federal Credit Union too!

Edited by Burgerwars

Thanks Burger. Not so sure they would take my broken old body.

It's possible they may. A while ago I saw an online ad for the army offering a free army T-shirt. I entered my brother's address and his dog's name. My brother calls me a short time later wanting to kill me. An officer from the army knocked on his door asking to see his dog. He showed him his pet. He still got his T-shirt. I thought they were just going to mail the T-shirt, not deliver it in person.

Edited by Burgerwars

On Fridays I like to walk behind cv and pick up the rainbows that fall outta his @$$. :P

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the benefits of membership. Someone will soon drop some comments about how awesome USAA's insurance is, as if there aren't a hundred worthy insurance companies out there.

I'm compelled to echo my own recent comment that USAA isn't a credit union, but it sure sucks like one.

On Fridays days that end in 'Y' I like to walk behind cv and pick up the rainbows that fall outta his @$$. :P

I'm still waiting for someone to explain the benefits of membership. Someone will soon drop some comments about how awesome USAA's insurance is, as if there aren't a hundred worthy insurance companies out there.

I'm compelled to echo my own recent comment that USAA isn't a credit union, but it sure sucks like one.

Fixed it. :mellow:

On Fridays I like to walk behind cv and pick up the rainbows that fall outta his @$$. :P

Speaking as someone who IIB the bank: USAA's auto insurance actually works well, ding repairs included. USAA homeowner's insurance wreaks of bad faith until you use their "approved" contractors to whom they will pay triple an adjuster's estimates. And they report everything - yes, ding repairs - to Lex!s. So yes, awesome, in some sense of the word, insurance.

The alternative is to not walk behind him at all. You'll soon Discovery s*IT has a tendency to fly around him.

The alternative is to not walk behind him at all. You'll soon Discovery s*IT has a tendency to fly around him.

:rofl: Excellent suggestion based on astute observation. :good:

But then I'd forfeit the cathartic, vicarious pleasure I get from his deprecation. :dntknw:

In contrast, I'm (usually) only willing to sound like an @$$ with my inner voice. :P

If you need good, basic banking, USAA is great. Good customer service too. I wouldn't knock them too much, cv.

The one time I called them, their customer service was great.

While a good online bank, it doesn't replace having a bank with a branch near you. I wouldn't only have accounts with them.

Edited by Burgerwars

I actually like being able to snap a picture of a check for $15k or less and have instant funds availability.

I also like instant funds availability on ACH pulls initiated via the USAA Website.

I actually like being able to snap a picture of a check for $15k or less and have instant funds availability.

I also like instant funds availability on ACH pulls initiated via the USAA Website.

That could be convenient on occasion, in the rare case of a huge surprise.

With Bank of America I get same-day credit for mobile deposits, and most inbound ACHs are processed by the next business day.

I haven't encountered a real-life scenario where the difference between immediate and 24 hours mattered. I'm a good planner, though, and I can tell you right now with a very high degree of certainty that the next time I'm going to have to temporarily transfer extra money into checking will be on 9/22 when it's time to pay the August SPG bill.. and we will transfer the money back on 10/1. We keep enough in checking that it's rare that I even have to do this... if we weren't going apesh1t on buying furniture and stuff for the house we'd probably never transfer money into checking - even temporarily.

With Bank of America I also get a free safe deposit box, but I don't think most people would think that would be a big enough benefit to brag to their friends or switch banks.

Edited by cv91915

With Bank of America I get same-day credit for mobile deposits, and most inbound ACHs are processed by the next business day.

I haven't encountered a real-life scenario where the difference between immediate and 24 hours mattered. I'm a good planner, though, and I can tell you right now with a very high degree of certainty that the next time I'm going to have to temporarily transfer extra money into checking will be on 9/22 when it's time to pay the August SPG bill.. and we will transfer the money back on 10/1. We keep enough in checking that it's rare that I even have to do this... if we weren't going apesh1t on buying furniture and stuff for the house we'd probably never transfer money into checking - even temporarily.

With Bank of America I also get a free safe deposit box, but I don't think most people would think that would be a big enough benefit to brag to their friends or switch banks.

BofA must have changed their policy on availability of funds because it always takes them at least two or three business days to credit large check deposits for me. Add in a weekend and it's more like four to five days.

Instant availability isn't really something I need, but I like it. I simply don't like waiting. Ever.

All things being equal, if BofA offered me a free safe deposit box and Chase didn't, it could be a deal breaker.

I also remember BofA had a limit on how much you can deposit via remote capture per day -- something like $2,500. Has that changed?

Edited by PotO

BofA must have changed their policy on availability of funds because it always takes them at least two or three business days to credit large check deposits for me. Add in a weekend and it's more like four to five days.

Instant availability isn't really something I need, but I like it. I simply don't like waiting. Ever.

All things being equal, if BofA offered me a free safe deposit box and Chase didn't, it could be a deal breaker.

Then they must have changed their policy in the last couple of weeks. I am transferring money out of Lending Club as it becomes available (topic for another thread), and the last ACH from LC from a couple of weeks ago was 100% available the next day.

A week after that I made two mobile deposits, and the funds showed as pending on my checking account within minutes. They were available the same day for pretty much anything except cash withdrawal, which came the next business day.

I also remember BofA had a limit on how much you can deposit via remote capture per day -- something like $2,500. Has that changed?

Monthly is $25,000, which is kind of a pain in the flowers at times.

The last post in this topic was posted 2313 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.