Sign in to follow this  
Second Chances

Using WM card at WM gas stations--ridiculous

While I am usually second in line to bash WM (CV usually beats me to it....) they really aren't the issue here. The issue is either bad bank policy or misinformed CSRs.

On the other point, I just don't understand people who go out of their way to save $.10/gallon on gas (or wait at ridiculous lines like Costco). For most people we are talking about $1.50-$2.00 tops...

Another subprime experience brought to you by the retailer that sells "chicken" that's 15% water.

I'm not sure how this has ANYTHIING to do with Walmart directly.

Really?

Really.

The gas station that was shopped at has nothing to do with walmart and is not connected in anyway besides the store being near walmart. The creditor who backs the card also has absolutely nothing to do with walmart.

I was simply saying that walmart played no part directly in this transaction (Customer service wise)

:)

Customers elect to do business with a brand, and in the cases of the retail store and the gas station (and the credit card) they are choosing Walmart.

No one applies for a "Synchrony card" with the intent of using it at Walmart (the store or the gas station). They choose the Walmart card. It wouldn't matter if it was issued by the Jeffrey Dahmer Fan Club.

A company like Walmart sells inferior merchandise to ignorant consumers. Why wouldn't they partner with financial services companies who do not value service and quality?

Edited by cv91915

While I am usually second in line to bash WM (CV usually beats me to it....) they really aren't the issue here. The issue is either bad bank policy or misinformed CSRs.

On the other point, I just don't understand people who go out of their way to save $.10/gallon on gas (or wait at ridiculous lines like Costco). For most people we are talking about $1.50-$2.00 tops...

In an average month I burn less than a tank of gas... but I still try to minimize my outlay for it. I'll go to Costco at off hours when it isn't busy, and it's really no big deal. If you fill up when you are down around a quarter tank you have a lot of flexibility. If you wait until you're on fumes, you don't have options.

Another subprime experience brought to you by the retailer that sells "chicken" that's 15% water.

Really?

Really.

The gas station that was shopped at has nothing to do with walmart and is not connected in anyway besides the store being near walmart. The creditor who backs the card also has absolutely nothing to do with walmart.

I was simply saying that walmart played no part directly in this transaction (Customer service wise)

A company like Walmart sells inferior merchandise to ignorant consumers.

Dang. I shop at Walmart. :D

Walmart just like every business caters to a particular class of people. People who shop at Walmart don't fit in that class. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just how they roll. :)

Really?

Really.

A company like Walmart sells inferior merchandise to ignorant consumers.

Dang. I shop at Walmart. :D

Walmart just like every business caters to a particular class of people. People who shop at Walmart don't fit in that class. There is nothing wrong with that, it's just how they roll. :)

Caveat emptor, amigo.

I have never had a problem outside my billing zip code. Matter of fact, I do not even have a walmart that accepts the walmart gas card at the fueling station that is located in my billing zip.

What I don't understand is how some of you are putting down creditors that have measures in place to protect both themselves and the consumer. MANY creditors have these exact same measures in place to prevent fraud.

If that walmart gas card got stolen and was used outside of your zip the story would be flipped.

OP, Outside of your zip code such as 5 miles away. Or 5000?

Well, you would expect if it was a Walmart credit card.. you could use it AT Walmart, ya know?! Kind of like when someone says "You can use you Mastercard where ever Mastercard is accepted!"

I am pretty sure if the card got stolen the story wouldn't be flipped. I have gotten unauthorized charges on my account before and I never blamed anyone else besides the douche that stole the card to use it illegally. Stuff happens all the time these days. Most of the time the credit consumers weren't doing anything to protect me. I just happened to log in my account and 'holy crap why are there so many charges on my account! I call them up and they are like "Oh yeah... I see them" "yeah no s***!"

WM Credit is QUIRKEEE, IME.

I was told you can also use your WM card at Sams Club's gas station also. Has anyone tried this?

I was told you can also use your WM card at Sams Club's gas station also. Has anyone tried this?

May people have tried.

I have never had a problem outside my billing zip code. Matter of fact, I do not even have a walmart that accepts the walmart gas card at the fueling station that is located in my billing zip.

What I don't understand is how some of you are putting down creditors that have measures in place to protect both themselves and the consumer. MANY creditors have these exact same measures in place to prevent fraud.

If that walmart gas card got stolen and was used outside of your zip the story would be flipped.

OP, Outside of your zip code such as 5 miles away. Or 5000?

What creditors can you think of that also block card use outside of your ZIP code?

I have used my Walmart card for gas on a 1500 mile trip through 6 states with no problems. As for their gas I have been using it for several years in new cars and motorhome with no problems and fuel milage the same as major brands.

I've done it.

I've done it.

Great to hear. I assume you need a Sam's Club Membership in order to use their gas stations?

I've done it.

Great to hear. I assume you need a Sam's Club Membership in order to use their gas stations?

Yes, you need to swipe the Sam's Club card first.

I really didn't expect this post to cause this much debate :dntknw:

I think that was pretty much guaranteed as soon as you mentioned Wal Mart...