Fighting the urge

esters45

The last post in this topic was posted 3113 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So i just paid off all my credit cards and now I am fighting this insane urge to spend, does anyone else have this problem? Today I almost bought a 2k dollar imac that I didnt need and a 3k dollar camera. I am thinking of cutting the card up to keep me from using it.

• Admin

I think there's a 12 step group for that. Put the card in a container of water, and freeze it. By the time you've thawed it out, your urge to spend will be over. Of course there'll be another urge, so put the whole thing back in the freezer.

There are some people who can't handle it at all, but not many. It's just another area of growth in becoming an adult. A process that never ends. :D

• Admin

does anyone else have this problem?

Yup. I had no cards for several years for that very reason. Tired of burying myself. It's just one of those things, everyone has their strong points and their not-so-strong points. I now have just three cards and keep them stashed in my safety deposit box at the bank.

My Rules - Buy anything that you can have money for in your checking/savings and that you are going to payoff within 30 days.

If I dont have money to pay off within 30 days and expecting a paycheck on 31st day, I will not buy it.

See if that works.

What Krish does. If you don't have the money to pay it in full each month, then don't charge it.

Make it a policy to wait a few days or a week for purchases that are not for basic needs. Then ask yourself if you NEED it.

Never shop when you are tired, intoxicated, hungry, or upset.

I'm happy that you dug out of the money pit. The struggle now is to stay that way. I will finally be out of the pit in October, with the only debt being my car. I'll be making small purchases on a rotating basis and PIF each month, just to keep the cards active.

My friend and I call it THF...temporary happiness factor. We buy things to feed the THF...A great example is a new car. Think how you feel on the day you drive it off the lot...then 2-3 months later, then 2-3 years later...when you still have 2 years of payments left.

Edited by CTSoxFan

I have a rule, even for inexpensive purchases: If I don't need it in the next 2 weeks, I don't buy it. It could be groceries, it could be jeans, or like you, it could be high-end electronics.

I bought a Samsung NX300 camera last september. I do need a professional camera for my side business and my point-n-click had recently broken. I hesitated on pulling the trigger on that purchase for a good 5 months before that rule above finally kicked into effect.... I was going to the first event of the season where I would need a more professional level camera and my phone wasn't going to cut it. Only then did I buy it.

I'm in a similar situation now with a laptop. I have been eyeing up a Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro. My current Lenovo is nearly 5 years old. It is in perfect shape, just a bit slow on the processor side when processing large pictures. I just apped and was approved for over $30,000 of credit this weekend, but I'm still probably going to wait until the fall again before the car show season starts back up.*

*I'm an automotive journalist on the side.

What Krish does. If you don't have the money to pay it in full each month, then don't charge it.

Make it a policy to wait a few days or a week for purchases that are not for basic needs. Then ask yourself if you NEED it.

Never shop when you are tired, intoxicated, hungry, or upset.

I'm happy that you dug out of the money pit. The struggle now is to stay that way. I will finally be out of the pit in October, with the only debt being my car. I'll be making small purchases on a rotating basis and PIF each month, just to keep the cards active.

+1. These are great ideas.

I struggled with depression in grad school and ended up doing horrible things to my credit: buying more things than I should've and simply not caring about paying cc bills (which led to my first CO).

I give myself an allowance, on a pre-paid Amex.... specific amount if deposited weekly.... I still have "regular" credit cards...mostly used for gas and household things so I only carry one with me daily... in the end, if there is enough $$ left on the Pre-paid card, I can have it.... if not it has to wait til next week or sometimes even 2 or 3 weeks if its that costly....

today's issue: there is an ebay auction for 29.99 but there is only 29.27 on my pre-paid card.....Im awaiting for a refund for a prior auction.... hopefully the funds show up today so I can click BUY, if not, has to wait til next week's allowance and hopefully the item is still there or another similar one is...

I would have to break my own rule in that case, Tee. :lol: I know, slippery slopes and all.

the refunded monies showed up so I wasn't forced to break my rule ;)

I now actually have about $10 left on the card... and the latest item I want to buy is only $5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Belly-Dance-Hip-Skirt-Scarf-Wrap-Belt-With-128-Golden-Coins-Many-Colors-/200771919236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2ebef05d84

$(KGrHqR,!pIE-z3DFyu1BP1Z9eyB)w~~60_35.J

I give myself an allowance, on a pre-paid Amex.... specific amount if deposited weekly.... I still have "regular" credit cards...mostly used for gas and household things so I only carry one with me daily... in the end, if there is enough $$ left on the Pre-paid card, I can have it.... if not it has to wait til next week or sometimes even 2 or 3 weeks if its that costly....

today's issue: there is an ebay auction for 29.99 but there is only 29.27 on my pre-paid card.....Im awaiting for a refund for a prior auction.... hopefully the funds show up today so I can click BUY, if not, has to wait til next week's allowance and hopefully the item is still there or another similar one is...

Oh I love this idea! I think I might just try this out. Better then the "cash in the envelope" system, IMO.

For me to overspend on stuff I DON'T need is easier for me, now that I've been through the worst. The repercussions of getting yourself out of that mess is not fun so it makes it a little easier for me to say no.

• Admin

I would have to break my own rule in that case, Tee. :lol: I know, slippery slopes and all.

the refunded monies showed up so I wasn't forced to break my rule ;)

I now actually have about $10 left on the card... and the latest item I want to buy is only $5

http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Belly-Dance-Hip-Skirt-Scarf-Wrap-Belt-With-128-Golden-Coins-Many-Colors-/200771919236?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item2ebef05d84

$(KGrHqR,!pIE-z3DFyu1BP1Z9eyB)w~~60_35.J

That's gorgeous!! :)

The last post in this topic was posted 3113 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.