Slow cooking ribs!

The last post in this topic was posted 2650 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

I want super tender falling off the bone with out touching them tender. I tried once before and they didn't come out as tender as I wanted. I slow cooked them in the oven at 250 degrees for about 4 hours. I was thinking this time I would go lower to around 200 degrees and maybe 6 hours. But most seem to say 3 to 4 hours should be enough.

Any suggestions?

Growing up, my grandmother use to always make ribs in her stove-top pressure cooker. I use an electronic pressure cooker for ribs... they turn out very tender. And they only take about 45 minutes. Once they are done, you can brush with barbecue sauce and bake them uncovered or throw them on a grill to heat the sauce. Also, you can cook them straight from the freezer, if you forget to thaw them first.... for this reason, I get a lot of use out of my pressure cooker for chicken, chops, ribs, etc. ;)

Growing up, my grandmother use to always make ribs in her stove-top pressure cooker. I use an electronic pressure cooker for ribs... they turn out very tender. And they only take about 45 minutes. Once they are done, you can brush with barbecue sauce and bake them uncovered or throw them on a grill to heat the sauce. Also, you can cook them straight from the freezer, if you forget to thaw them first.... for this reason, I get a lot of use out of my pressure cooker for chicken, chops, ribs, etc. ;)

I was thinking pressure cooker but I don't have one.

A slow boil in a pot for about 2 hours accomplishes this...then take them out, fire up the grill and crisp them on both sides then sauce and crisp both sides again.

Really never thought about boiling them. Although that would require breaking them down into smaller pieces as would a pressure cooker. I would like to keep the whole rack together for that professional look.

Maybe try putting them in a smoker for about 6 hours on low heat, you could keep the full slap in tact that way. A friend of mine has cooked them in a smoker for most of the day and the results were great. I, personally, just don't have an entire day to devote to cooking meat, which is why I love my electronic pressure cooker.

A slow boil in a pot for about 2 hours accomplishes this...then take them out, fire up the grill and crisp them on both sides then sauce and crisp both sides again.

Really never thought about boiling them. Although that would require breaking them down into smaller pieces as would a pressure cooker. I would like to keep the whole rack together for that professional look.

Yep, you have to cut the slab into 2 parts. Of course, when they're done you cut the ribs off the slab anyway...

I wouldn't boil them, it'll boil out all the flavor. I'd go 4-6 hours at around 180, if they start to get crispy, wrap them in foil and add some sauce or mop them with something to put some moisture back in before you wrap them up.

Someday I'm going to go down to Memphis and buy one of those oil barrels that get cut up into a grill. Low and slow....

I have an Oklahoma Joe smoker...a lot like the 55 gallon barrel, but it'll last 20 years...I just don't have the patience to slow cook / smoke ribs on it. :blush:

About a week is perfect!

Actually the other day I ended up making them.. In the oven wrapped in ALUMINUM FOIL with some apple cinder vinegar and cooked for about 7.5 hours at 225 and then added BBQ sauce and honey to the top and broiled for about 5 to 10 minutes and they came out perfect!

Place ribs on foil. Rub a mix of brown sugar, cayenne pepper, lemon pepper, paprika, garlic powder and season salt on them. Flip upside down. Fold up the edges of the foil to catch drippings and fill the "canal" of the rib rack with beer.

Seal foil package.

Place ribs on propane grill with only one burner running on the lowest setting.

After 2 hours, carefully flip rack to where the meat is up and bones down (yes quite a bit of beer and juice will spill out).

After 1.5 hours, unwrap ribs and gently remove the foil from underneath.

Baste with your favorite sauce (mine would be Sweet Baby Ray's Hickory and Brown Sugar for this recipe)

Let caramelize on ribs for 20-30 minutes, still on the lowest setting.

Use large tongs to carefully pick up the entire rack at once.

I guaran-dang-tee you these will be the sweetest, tangiest, falling off the bone ribs you will ever have, all without cheating by boiling or baking them.

Enjoy!

The last post in this topic was posted 2650 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.