Please consider disabling your adblocker for CreditBoards if you have not already done so.  This site depends on advertising revenue to stay online.

Sign in to follow this  

Is this Validation?

The last post in this topic was posted 2392 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

So I sent out all my validation letters to the collection companies, and it's been more than 30 days. One company sent an actual validation (I discussed it on another post), but the others either didn't respond, or responded (and not with certified letters, they just stuffed things in an envelope and sent it out regular mail). So one company sent me a copy of a cell phone bill from Sprint, no explanation of how they calculated what I owe, no original contract, no proof of purchasing the debt.

Is that an actual validation? Just a phone bill that has my name and address on it with no indication of how they got that information? What should my next step be with these guys? And how can they prove that I received this information with no certified mail or tracking number?

And as a side note, what do I do with the ones that didn't respond? Send them a second validation letter, or what?

Yes that is considered validation and CA's don't really bother with sending stuff with tracking numbers or certified. Their usual objection will be that it wasn't returned to them as undeliverable. As for the one's that haven't replied, give them the full 30 days from their receipt of the validation request plus 5 days for mail transit. If they don't respond by that time, you can file a cfpb complaint.

So just a photocopy of an OC bill is considered validation of that account?

Look up what the FDCPA says about validation. The CA only has to provide the name, address,amount owed and the account number or a copy of a judgment. If you ask, a CA (as defined in the FDCPA) has to send the name and address of the origional creditor...that is all a CA has to send. The idea is to make sure the correct party is being persued for a debt owed. If the CA has sent the legal standard for information, validation has been met. You state laws may have additional requirements.

Look up what the FDCPA says about validation. The CA only has to provide the name, address,amount owed and the account number or a copy of a judgment. If you ask, a CA (as defined in the FDCPA) has to send the name and address of the origional creditor...that is all a CA has to send. The idea is to make sure the correct party is being persued for a debt owed. If the CA has sent the legal standard for information, validation has been met. You state laws may have additional requirements.

Ahhhh, I see. So as long as they have that info, it's considered validated. For some reason, I thought they had to prove that they actually own the debt, or that they are acting on behalf of the OC.

I thought they had to prove that they actually own the debt, or that they are acting on behalf of the OC.

Probably the only way to get that information is through legal proceedings

The last post in this topic was posted 2392 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.