Reaging But Lacking Proof

Waterford

The last post in this topic was posted 3516 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.

Hello, nice to meet you...long story/rant/advice, please!

I just pulled all three of my credit reports, starting with Experian last weekend and the other two today. I found a negative Capital One allegedly opened in 2008 (that I did not open), showing payments that I did not make. TransUnion and Equifax shows the last payment in November 2012; Experian shows the last payment in June 2012.

I did, however, default on a Capital One account in the early 2000s -- that (surprise, surprise) I'm estimating should've fallen off my credit report in 2012. I had already disputed this 2008 account once a few years back and thought the things were corrected. This time around, I started by (stupidly, I'm guessing) disputing the Experian one online, with just enough room to type "I did not open a Capital One account in 2008." I did this over the Fourth of July Weekend. I magically got my results by 7AM Monday. Experian works holidays and weekends! Who knew?! They found the item to be in compliance with FCRA, the debt to be mine but noted that it was "transferred to another lender." I can't find hide nor hair of who that lender might be.

I went digging through all my records. Thanks to the passage of time, a move and water damage, I no longer have anything pertaining to the original Capital One account. I switched banks in 2012 and found statements up to April 2012 from the old one and then nothing 'til I opened the new account in October 2012. TransUnion was showing payments to Capital One between January and November 2012 and, on the few statements I did have, nothing matched. No payments to anyone I didn't recognize. Nothing in those odd amounts ($19, $17, $39, $20). I'm so perpetually poor, I would remember making a deal or those payments!!!

I look at the process for disputing this and just get exhausted and wonder, since I lack documentation, if it's even worth pursuing. Besides, couldn't they claim they got a money order or something? The only other accounts I've had (since the early 2000s Capital One) were an HSBC/Household Bank and a Credit One Bank and I don't think either of those two were tied into the reaging thing that Cap One did get into trouble for.

(Speaking of, I also have a more pressing matter in the Credit One Bank account that's been sold to MSW Capital/"Whipple Law" PA -- so I will be scouring your DV letter resources for that).

Anyway, sorry if that's too much to weed though. I look forward to hearing input from the folks here. Thanks!

Hello, nice to meet you...long story/rant/advice, please!

I just pulled all three of my credit reports, starting with Experian last weekend and the other two today. I found a negative Capital One allegedly opened in 2008 (that I did not open), showing payments that I did not make. TransUnion and Equifax shows the last payment in November 2012; Experian shows the last payment in June 2012.

I did, however, default on a Capital One account in the early 2000s -- that (surprise, surprise) I'm estimating should've fallen off my credit report in 2012. I had already disputed this 2008 account once a few years back and thought the things were corrected. This time around, I started by (stupidly, I'm guessing) disputing the Experian one online, with just enough room to type "I did not open a Capital One account in 2008." I did this over the Fourth of July Weekend. I magically got my results by 7AM Monday. Experian works holidays and weekends! Who knew?! They found the item to be in compliance with FCRA, the debt to be mine but noted that it was "transferred to another lender." I can't find hide nor hair of who that lender might be.

I went digging through all my records. Thanks to the passage of time, a move and water damage, I no longer have anything pertaining to the original Capital One account. I switched banks in 2012 and found statements up to April 2012 from the old one and then nothing 'til I opened the new account in October 2012. TransUnion was showing payments to Capital One between January and November 2012 and, on the few statements I did have, nothing matched. No payments to anyone I didn't recognize. Nothing in those odd amounts ($19, $17, $39, $20). I'm so perpetually poor, I would remember making a deal or those payments!!!

I look at the process for disputing this and just get exhausted and wonder, since I lack documentation, if it's even worth pursuing. Besides, couldn't they claim they got a money order or something? The only other accounts I've had (since the early 2000s Capital One) were an HSBC/Household Bank and a Credit One Bank and I don't think either of those two were tied into the reaging thing that Cap One did get into trouble for.

(Speaking of, I also have a more pressing matter in the Credit One Bank account that's been sold to MSW Capital/"Whipple Law" PA -- so I will be scouring your DV letter resources for that).

Anyway, sorry if that's too much to weed though. I look forward to hearing input from the folks here. Thanks!

Hi and welcome to Credit Boards Waterford! Are you working from hard copies of your credit report? It sounds like you need to send a FACTA dispute letter to Cap 1, aka 623 letter. I would also ask Cap 1 who bought the account from them and ask for ther address. Now the fun begins.

Capital one bought out some HSBC accounts, are you sure it isn't that account?

I'm working from my online reports through Annual Credit Reports… and, I guess I'll have to take another look but the HSBC account is showing up individually (bought by Calvary, I think). Obviously I've had a few credit disasters :blush:

I've signed up for the FICO score service from PSECU, too, but won't get my first report 'til next month.

Thank you both!

Hmmm. Looking at Experian

Capital One high balance $841 (original credit limit $300)

Charged off; $841 written off; $28 past due as of March 2013

Cavalry Portfolio Service (HSBC)

Opened February 2013

CL/Original Amount $842

Recent Balance $854 as of June 2014

TransUnion also says

Capital One: Opened 4/26/2008

Last Payment: November 26, 2012

Original Chargeoff $841

Closed: November 21, 2012

notations that there was a $300 limit "from 01/2012 to 07/2012; 12/2012 to 01/2013; 03/2013 to 03/2013" ... (huh?)

Cavalry (HSBC): Original Amount $842 (Balance $854)

"placed for collection" February 2013

Same deal with Equifax.

--- Well, then! That's looking sort of like a match.

But the Household Bank (HSBC) card was a regular card with, IIRC, a $300 or $500 limit. There was no mention of Capital One, no "pay down your debt and rebuild your credit." It was just a card.

AND, what about the 2012 mystery payments? I sure as @#$* didn't have a $300 credit card and I sure as %^&* didn't make those payments.

Where's there a "pulling hair" smiley?

D'oh!

I see now. Apologies for being thick. And thank you all for your patience.

This has nothing to do with the "ancient," actual Capital One account.

It looks like two different accounts on my reports. Neither entry references the other. They appear unrelated save the amounts.

Is this kosher? I mean, as I understand it, when a creditor puts an account in collections but still owns the debt, it may appear twice, under the OC and with the CA.

But they're at least noted as the same debt. Or am I misunderstanding that, too?

And I still didn't make those payments!!! That much I know is bs.

D'oh!

It looks like two different accounts on my reports. Neither entry references the other. They appear unrelated save the amounts.

Is this kosher? I mean, as I understand it, when a creditor puts an account in collections but still owns the debt, it may appear twice, under the OC and with the CA.

But they're at least noted as the same debt. Or am I misunderstanding that, too?

if it's sold, it should show a $0 balance due.

and yeah, interest accrues.

Calvary is not a Collection Agency collecting for capital one - they are a Junk debt buyer -

you sure this is HSBC? the records capital one got were terrible that's why they sold all the HSBC accounts to JDB;s.

you could send 623 inquiry letter to Capital one - since they are misreporting this - but falsely claiming ID theft is a felony, don't fall into that trap.

oh, BTW, the FDCPA applies to capital one if this was a HSBC charge off before they purchased it.

RE Account # ___________________
Dear Capital one
I recently found the following account listed by your firm on a credit report furnished to me by ___________________________ and disputed it thru ____________ but your firm verified the information as correct.
(list out how it is reporting )
I Did not open an account with Capital on in 2008, and have reviewed my banking records, and have no records of payments in 2012 or 2013 to your bank.
I am disputing the above mentioned account. as I do not recognize this account at all.
Please supply all account records , including personal addresses, Billing addresses, copy of account application with Signature and history of transactions and payments.
Please provide the name of the bank these payments were drawn from ( the issuing bank) .
If you do not supply the requested and statutorily required information, I will file complaints with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Attached is a copy of my Driver lic, and utility bill confirming my address - the last 4 digits of my SS # are xxxx.
Eagerly Awaiting your Reply,

D'oh!

if it's sold, it should show a $0 balance due.

and yeah, interest accrues.

Calvary is not a Collection Agency collecting for capital one - they are a Junk debt buyer -

you sure this is HSBC? the records capital one got were terrible that's why they sold all the HSBC accounts to JDB;s.

you could send 623 inquiry letter to Capital one - since they are misreporting this - but falsely claiming ID theft is a felony, don't fall into that trap.

oh, BTW, the FDCPA applies to capital one if this was a HSBC charge off before they purchased it.

RE Account # ___________________
Dear Capital one
I recently found the following account listed by your firm on a credit report furnished to me by ___________________________ and disputed it thru ____________ but your firm verified the information as correct.
(list out how it is reporting )
I Did not open an account with Capital on in 2008, and have reviewed my banking records, and have no records of payments in 2012 or 2013 to your bank.
I am disputing the above mentioned account. as I do not recognize this account at all.
Please supply all account records , including personal addresses, Billing addresses, copy of account application with Signature and history of transactions and payments.
Please provide the name of the bank these payments were drawn from ( the issuing bank) .
If you do not supply the requested and statutorily required information, I will file complaints with the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau.
Attached is a copy of my Driver lic, and utility bill confirming my address - the last 4 digits of my SS # are xxxx.
Eagerly Awaiting your Reply,

Ah, I see (again) what you're saying about the balances. Unlike Capital One, Credit One account was "purchased by another lender" and shows a $0 balance. I'm thinking it has to be HSBC, balances of $841 and $842 -- what are the odds?

Thank you much for the letter and the warning about crying "identity theft!" I was kind of worried about implying that when I hit the "dispute" button on Experian's site (though I didn't know it was a felony at the time).

And "hello!" And thanks, breeze! But I have so little left to pull now!

I didn't even get my letter in the mail before I got one from Capital One today.

They received my credit bureau dispute regarding "my" Card Services Platinum Mastercard Account and thank me for my inquiry regarding "my" Card Services Platinum Mastercard Account.

"This letter is confirmation that we are currently reporting your Account to all relevant major consumer reporting agencies as follows:

- Account is sold. Any balance that may have been due was transferred in the sale.

As of February 11, 2013, we no longer own this account. Please direct all future inquiries regarding this account to the new legal owner at:

CAVALRY

(800)501-0909"

Am I screwed by not catching this before the ball could get tossed to Cavalry? Who would have records of these alleged payments? Is the burden on me with the one or two bank statements from the reported period that I was able to find? Oh, and thanks, Capital One for providing a mailing address there (I know, there's on my CR for Cavalry but still!)...

I can't imagine Cavalry could provide that.

nope, you're not screwed; it's against federal law to sell an account that are ID theft related. they would have to buy it back from calvary.

did you ever have this "Platinum Mastercard Account." ?

if not send the FACTA letter in the ID theft forum pinned topic.

I believe the HSBC/Household Bank card was a Platinum Mastercard ("platinum" ha!).

So it is sounding more like the same account, just appearing twice, under two different names.

Except the Cap One and HSBC account numbers are different. It finally occurred to me re-check that on the reports.

I had stopped looking yesterday when I saw the balances. Which only differ by a dollar.

Plus HSBC account was sold to Cavalry and now, I learn the mystery Capital One account was, "too?" At the same time as the HSBC account?

Except they have different account numbers. Again.

I felt like the mystery payments were my strongest argument but I envision Cavalry referring me to Capital One and Capital One referring me back to Cavalry in an endless hell loop.

I'm going back through my bank statements to see when I last made a payment to Household Bank but it was probably 2010. So yeah great. Net result is that, while I may not have a decade-plus debt showing up on my report, I'm squarely back in the SOL on this HSBC account. If these two get magically consolidated. Times two, if not.

And as an aside, ha! $300 becomes over $800! I know I am far, far from the first person to say this but…nevermind. And, aw jeez, I still have to send the Credit One/MSW/Whipple Law DV letter. Like tomorrow.

Holy crap, guys.

I found a payment to HSBC card services in one of my bank statements, in April 2012. Which matches a $39 one from the Capital One entry on my credit reports. In my defense, this page of the April statement had ended up bundled with another statement. I guess you're seeing my pattern of disorganization and panic.

I feel like an a**.

HOWEVER, I still don't think it's cool that the same account was showing up under two names with two different account numbers. And shouldn't the entries reference each other? Or make it clear they're talking about one debt; not two?

Am I then to hope that today's Capital One letter means this is somewhat rectified?

Pennsylvania.

Jeez.

The leg my outrage was standing on was just cut off at the knee. (but still! but still! It was looking like two different debts!)

And I can totally hear a friend saying "I told you so" about being so adamant about my memories of things.

Thank you all again for being dragged along with me on this one.

4 years, I figured. Though I have no assets, average $2 in my checking account and make next to nothing as an independent contractor (best case scenario it turns into a full-time thing; worst case my skillset and resume stay up to date). Pretty much judgement proof but I'd still prefer not to be sued. Especially over a bs amount that's mostly interest and fees. (mini-rant, sorry).

And, graymidday, I'm going to try that (thanks!)... I WAS going to leave crappy enough alone for now except it seems I stirred up the hornets' nest with my Experian dispute. I missed a call today which a quick google revealed to be from Northland whom it seems ended up, at least in one other instance, trying to collect on somebody else's Cavalry account (junk buyers on top of junk buyers?)...

I'm hoping if the documentation was that bad, maybe, just maybe...

The last post in this topic was posted 3516 days ago. 

We strongly encourage you to start a new post instead of replying to this one.